Will target loads lead a Ruger 45?

Lavan

I'm getting a Ruger 45 Blackhawk convertible.
I shoot pipsqueak loads in my Colt Gold Cup.

3.5 gr Bullseye and 185 gr HBSWC bullets. They are ACCURATE in the Gold Cup.

I'm wondering if the soft lead will lead up the bore of the Ruger.
They work fine in my S&W M25 Target with no leading, but I'm curious if the Ruger might have less polished bore than the Gold Cup or the M25.

:)

DaleA

3.5 gr Bullseye and 185 gr HBSWC bullets. They are ACCURATE in the Gold Cup.

Way back when, when I shot in a company sponsored league practically everybody shot 1911 .45 ACP and practically everybody used Bullseye powder puff loads with 185 grain SWC or 200 grain SWC. "Just enough powder to cycle the action" was the mantra. Your load would have garnered nods of approval. I had a preference for Hornady swaged lead 185 grain semi-wadcutters which I bought in bulk for what I thought was a "reasonable" price. Those were fun times.

Good luck with your Ruger. As many can attest, there's just something special about a single-action six shooter.

Lavan

The guy I learned "Bullseye" shooting from said the ideal power factor is whatever it takes to make it completely through the paper.

:D

44 AMP

Staff
Will target loads lead a Ruger 45?

They might, or they might not. They might lead in YOUR Ruger and not in mine.

While a "rough" bore can contribute to leading it is not the only factor involved.

If a load doesn't lead in gun A, or in gun B, it probably won't in gun C, HOWEVER, there's no way to know for sure until you shoot them through "gun C".

Hal

Do a google search for "Ruger .45 colt chamber reaming"

Don't include the quotes.

Decide for yourself.

44 AMP

Staff
Do a google search for "Ruger .45 colt chamber reaming"

I don't see how that. or any article will tell the OP anything about the gun in his hands and if a load will lead in it.

General trends, perhaps, but general trends don't mean his gun or my gun is the same as all the others. Might be, might not be. Only shooting will show what actually is in your hands and how it behaves.

I've heard a LOT about Ruger .45s and their chamber throats and how one needs to do this or that or they won't shoot well. I've got 7 of them, bought my first one in '83, Blackhawks and Vaqueros none of them have ever had anything done to their throats and they all shoot just fine. Did I just get lucky??

Or is it the Internet thing where there actually are a few guns that needed work and hearing about them over and over and over makes it seem like the problem is huge and universal???

I tend to think the latter...

Hal

I don't see how that. or any article will tell the OP anything about the gun in his hands and if a load will lead in it.
No - you wouldn't would you?
You'd much rather pontificate on your own regurgitated myths about what causes leading.

The proper fit of the bullet to the barrel is one of the requirements for using lead bullets.
To achieve that, you need to slug the barrel and the chamber mouths.

Last edited:

Lavan

Bear in mind my question was about 45 ACP rounds.
I'll be using jacketed in the 45 Colt cyl.

Don't get it til Wed so can't try yet.

Bake

I would not bother in your case, but I did start thinking about paper patching. If the 185 or 200 gr. swaged bullets are the same ones I'm thinking of, you might pick up a couple of hundred fps, without any increase in leading (maybe) . . .

Lavan

I load ACP constantly. The Gold Cup eats em. :D

Only occasionally do I shoot 45LC. I got the ammo for that silly Rossi Circuit Judge.

4aUdyg6A45JPUDrsIybeLn_-H22VejaLjNlO9otPxgoZAodxgb2Cetr5VXAYT2geN-HCF0vp36e0C8heZeYp3YiHoPg50GWlbYgzQnkHc0OzDyEl69D4_CkcAtNIixXBJD_ynYdU_sNpGPTehA7poyUDa7d9AlkiU1gef-MQUcemwELeIwuupsanXP4tgy7IZEe_uzMooQ

Which has turned out not so silly.

I thought it would be just a "fun gun." Well, it is. Surprisingly the 45s in it will smack a 4" gong at 50 yards with no problem and consistently. Out farther........well...... rainbow. :eek:

The .410 is nothing short of amazing. Slugs penetrate steel better than the 45LC. Using shot, the stupid thing "points" as well as any shotgun I own.
I look at a target, snap it to the shoulder and it's hit. :)

It may not win any beauty contests, but it sure can make mayhem.

Hal

.45acp/.45 Colt - heck for that matter - any caliber at all - if you use cast bullets, you should slug the barrel(s) and each chamber mouth of all cylinders.

Improper size is the number one reason for leading.

That's not me saying that - that comes directly from Lyman & before that, Ideal.

T. O'Heir

Leading is caused by trying to drive a cast bullet too fast. It has nothing whatever to do with the firearm. If 3.5 of Bullseye(which, I think, is way below minimum for a 45 Colt. Assuming it is a .45 Colt. Don't have my books here and there don't seem to be any 185 grain loads on line. Cast Bullseye loads start at 6.8 grains for 200 grain cast.) doesn't lead your GC, it won't lead a BH either.

44 AMP

Staff
You'd much rather pontificate on your own regurgitated myths about what causes leading.

Nowhere in this thread have I mentioned what causes leading. Were I to do so, then I would pontificate the same regurgitated myths that everyone else is saying, that leading depends primarily on the relationship of bullet fit to bore, bullet construction (alloy hardness) and velocity.

Other factors may also play a part, such as a rough bore, a polished bore or a very polished bore. Sometimes the type of rifling and how it is cut plays a part as well. And lubrication is a factor as well.

My point was that no article or advice can give a definite answer to the OP's question, based on the information provided. To find the answer to "will this lead in my gun?" you need to have the gun and ammo in hand and shoot them to see what the results are.

What about swaged lead?

Swaged lead bullets are usually somewhere between "soft" and pure lead soft. They are intended for low pressure, low velocity loads. They are under the same limits as cast bullets of the same hardness.

rclark

Leading is caused by trying to drive a cast bullet too fast.
Not quite. I've driven cast bullets from 600-1300fps. No problem. You have to pay attention to the hardness of the cast bullet. You can get leading by a) to hard of a bullet driven slow (doesn't obturate) or b) a soft bullet going to fast (skidding). BTW, all I shoot is lead from .32 to .45.

Last edited:

Lavan

A friend was fond of sooper dooper reloading.
He had a Ruger 45 Colt that was FAR more punishing than a 44 mag.

One time we went out with some of his ....38 Special ...... soopers.
We were MISSING an entire abandoned old truck.

The lead was plated on so thick that it took him a week to get it out.
He stopped using that recipe. :D

Hal

Nowhere in this thread have I mentioned what causes leading. Were I to do so, then I would pontificate the same regurgitated myths that everyone else is saying, that leading depends primarily on the relationship of bullet fit to bore, bullet construction (alloy hardness) and velocity.
As usual - you're one for three & missing a huge chunk of why leading occurs.

Proper size & proper lube account for nearly all leading issues.
Hardness & velocity only play an ancillary role and have very little direct effect.

That's not me saying that.....that information is easy to find.....oh, I forgot,,,you have some sort of issues about looking for information.....well - us mere mortals actually do search for information.

For those that wish to seek out information - here's an excellent source -

http://www.lasc.us/

The book - "From Ingot to Target" is an excellent read - it's also free.

What about swaged lead?
Swaged bullets are just bullets made by a different process.
Nearly all jacketed bullets are swaged - by the way.

darkgael

.45 Colt in a Ruger New Vaquero. I use a .452” full WC at 165 grains. The charge is 6.0 grains of Unique. They do not lead and are dead on at 25 yards.
I also load a 240 grain HBWC from Matt’s Bullets...same charge. Shoots as well.

Last edited: