Will success of Taurus tx22 mags lead to more staggered 22 mags?

idek

I realize the tx22 is a pistol, but I'm specifically wondering if 10/22 magazine designs couldn't incorporate whatever Taurus did to make a functional staggered magazine.

I've tried double stack 10/22 mags and they worked very poorly. Yes, the single stack BX-25 works fine, but its length is cumbersome in some situations. I've heard the tx22 magazine described as a 1.5 stack, and seems to strike a good balance between reliability and efficient use of space. I'm hoping this catches on with other rimfires, and the 10/22 already has a wider magazine well that seems well-suited to accept a staggered magazine.

idek

Yes, I forgot about keltec... but I seem to hear more positive things about the tx22 reliability than the PMR30 or other keltec rimfire offerings, so I'm still hopeful that it will encourage more staggered magazines from mainstream gun makers (I often consider keltecs to be novelty guns).

zukiphile

Feather Industries made a 22lr 25 years ago that came with a staggered magazine. If memory serves, that was a single feed.

The S&W 15-22 is also a somewhat staggered magazine. Both are very reliable.

I don't know that making a functional 22lr double stack magazine is a problem so much as it isn't a goal. My sense is that the magic of a good 22lr magazine is in the feed lips. Look up videos about adjusting High Standard or Ruger pistol magazines and you'll see more than a few offering their thoughts.

Jim Watson

Sig is getting 20 in the P322. I did not look at the clip lips or study the stagger at my brief introduction. (Alliteration, baby, alliteration.)
An alternating feed .22 magazine might be a good trick.

An old old gunzine article about old old gunwriter W.H.B. Smith said he had designed a .22 with magazine that would hold "a box of shells."

bbqncigars

The 50rd mags for my CP33 all function well, but probably wouldn't if I didn't use the ASL Nest loading tool to fill them. The gun would see little use if that loader didn't exist.