will soft points feed into an SKS alright?

horatioo

I want to buy 25 boxes for the price break. Should I buy just a few first to make sure they feed alright? Do they usually feed okay? Thanks
New Siver Bear brand 7.62x39 ammunition by the CJSC Barnaul Cartridge Plant of Russia. Features a 125grn lead core bi-metal jacketed soft point bullet, zinc plated steel case, and non-corrosive berdan primer. Packaged 20rds in a box, and 500rds (25 boxes) to a case. While supplies last.

Schneiderman

I would buy one box to make sure they do. I'm sure they would though. My yugo never had a problem with FMJ, HP or SP, but I barely ever use SP.

DPris

Member Emeritus
SPs should feed fine, but they'll probably deform the exposed lead tips somewhat.
My Chinese version does.
A deformed tip will not affect accuracy much, if at all.
Denis

chris in va

I didn't have much problem with SP in my Yugo, but it absolutely would not feed the Wolf HP. That flat point stuck right on the chamber face.:mad:

So...I sold it and got a Saiga. No problems with anything.

qcpunk

Feed it what ever you want haha. As others have experienced, my SKS will shoot nearly everything equally well. The only rounds I have ever had any issues with are the HPs. As Chris said, they can to stick against the chamber face. I still have a lot of the HPs and the occasional slight jam is really not a big deal for me. Besides, it's typically only on the first round of a magazine. Heck for all I know it could be the magazines causing the misfeed, but again, no biggie in my situation.

stubbicatt

If you are unwilling to try a box first, buy the larger lot, and be prepared to sell the leftovers if it doesn't work.

My SKS has no issues with any shape of ammo I've fed it, including handloads with non crimped bullets. I measured a few and found no bullet setback, so I guess the geometry of the magazine etc. is such that the ammunition feeds pretty well straight into the chamber.

martin08

I run SP's through my three hunting SKS's.

All feed fine, and all do take a little nick out of the point when chambering, but I do not notice any appreciable effect in accuracy.

mrgoodwrench76

I have a chinese and a yugo and have never had a feed problem with either using every different type of ammo out there. I generally feed them from 20 round tapco detachable mags. I've tried lots of different detachable mags and most out there are junk. The tapco 20 rounders are the only ones I've found that are reliable. Ammunition has never been a problem. Most of the problems you will experience are from dirty guns or poor quality mags.