Will Ruger make spare cylinders on request?

TruthTellers

I'm wondering for their single actions if I wanted to buy a second cylinder in a different chambering (say .45 ACP for the .454 Super Blackhawk or .32 S&W Long in the Single Seven) does Ruger do that?

Eddiejoe

Several years ago, I wanted a 9mm cylinder for a Security Six I had in 357 magnum. They told me the part was not available and offered to give me purchase credit if I returned the weapon to them. I kept it. I wondered if it was because the gun wasn't a "convertible" model in the first place.

Siggy-06

A lot of the parts are “fitted parts” that are matched to each gun. It sounds weird considering that all their firearms are produced en masse, but the revolvers do get some hand fitting, at least the crane and cylinder do. This is all according to the people at Ruger that I talked to.

Siggy-06 said:
A lot of the parts are “fitted parts” that are matched to each gun. It sounds weird considering that all their firearms are produced en masse, but the revolvers do get some hand fitting, at least the crane and cylinder do. This is all according to the people at Ruger that I talked to.
Super Blackhawks don't have cranes.

That said, the cylinder does have to be fitted to the frame (unless you get lucky). It's not difficult. I haven't done it on a Ruger, but I have fitted cylinders to two Pietta SAA clones.

44 AMP

Staff
Fitting a revolver cylinder can range from "I put it in and it works fine" to a job that requires the factory or a competent master smith to do correctly.
And. sadly, there are people who would buy the cylinder not fit it correctly, and then blame the maker and sue for damages.

If you want to know what Ruger will do, and won't do, ask Ruger.

Lots of gun companies no longer sell the parts or offer the services they once did. I am certain part of the reason is current liability lawsuit at the drop of a hat atmosphere gunmakers are in today.

Hawg

I bought a cylinder for a Single Six off of ebay. It fit and functioned perfectly. Even the barrel gap was the same.

Howdy

Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't.

I have a pair of Stainless 'original model' Vaqueros. They look identical other than barrel length. But the cylinder from one will not fit into the other. A few thousandths too long.

jackmoser65

Ruger isn't going to custom make anything that hasn't been regular production. A .45 ACP cylinder for a .454 will have to come from a custom gunsmith and made from scratch. A .32 S&W cylinder for a .327 would be pointless.

Mannlicher

I spoke recently with the Ruger custom shop folks about a .45 ACP cylinder for one of my Blackhawk .45 Colt revolvers. They say they will make you a cylinder, and fit it to your SA revolver................but not right now. Maybe in the future. They told me they were just too busy, and too short handed to do that sort of thing at the present.

jackmoser65

Yes but we're talking about a five shot 454 here. Unless Ruger starts making 454's with auxiliary 45acp cylinders, there is zero hope that you can get one.

The 32 S&W cylinder is just beyond hopeless.

jstert

http://rugercyl.com/ruger-cylinders/
these work well, highly recommended. i got a gently used, value priced, 5.5” ruger single six, minus its 22wmr cylinder, a few years ago. i ordered a $130 8-shot 22wmr cylinder, paid a gunsmith $20 to fluff and buff, then put 100 fast rounds through it. my single eight is really dialed in and a smoothly solid shooter.

a few months ago i stopped by al story’s shop west of silver city while on a long distance road trip after phoning ahead. they are really nice and busy folks. my single eight cylinder won’t chamber 22wrf ammo. mr. story checked it and found that the 22wrf ammo is a tad wide. it fits fine in a stock oem 22wmr cylinder of another single six. we agreed that, between his huge backlog of work and my rare use of 22wrf, it wasn’t worth leaving my cylinder to ream out a tad. i would never hesitate to order from mr. story, but be prepared to wait as he wants to complete his work on hand before accepting new orders. just telephone, they answer and are most helpful as can be.