Will I have accuracy issues with 168gr SMKs with dented tips?

veprdude

Bought 2 boxes of .308 168gr GMMK to test out a Remington 700 LTR I just bought. Boxes were not secured well in the box and the tips of most of the bullets are flattened a little. Some have a bit of a curl I can feel with my fingernail.

How big of a deal is this? I took the best pictures I could. Having a hard time getting the camera to focus on the tips...

_MG_0407%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

_MG_0406%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

_MG_0409%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

_MG_0416%20%28edited-Pixlr%29.jpg

tangolima

The tail of the bullet affects the accuracy more than the tip. Based on what's in the pictures, I wouldn't worry my kind of shooting with expected group size of 1 to 2 moa up to 300yd.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Recycled bullet

Roll the cartridges across your table and look at the bullet tips for run out wobble. If the cartridges are not bent then I think you will be okay.

Metal god

Yeah I had some like that once . They shot like a boomerang and took out the RO behind me , JK … oh man I crack my self up !

No should be ok-ish , I wouldn’t use those for the 600yd tournament but inside of 300 , unless you and your rig are top tear you’ll likely never notice.

Dave P

"All" sierra match bullets are like that, AFAIK. Same with Nosler. It is due to the way they are made.

You could spend more $ and time by using a meplat reformer. Bey you wont see any difference on the target.

gwpercle

Louisiana Swamp People say ... CHOOT EM'

The tips don't appear to have too much damage ... about what you would expect from loose packaging and shipping and handling .

Base is much more important than tips ... I've seen some test that show the tips can be damaged , by filing with a steel file to produce damage ... and still shoot surprisingly tight groups .
But do some file damage to the base and accuracy went South in a hurry !
Gary