will i destroy this scope?

gunhappy

I have a Simmons 22 mag scope 4x that has absolutely beautiful clarity.I want to mount it on a Stevens 200 .223. Will this destroy this scope or can it handle the minimal recoil of the .223?

Huntergirl

I have never trusted Simmons scopes for anything. I maybe would put it on a 22/22mag, but not for any serious shooting. If you absolutely have to go cheap, consider used quality scopes like Burris, Nikon, etc, or go Bushnell Trophy or Millet or even Sightron S1.

Kreyzhorse

It's a Simmons and I'd guess it has a limited life either way. If you like it, slap on that .223 and run with it till it gives up then buy a new scope.

wpcexpert

My uncle has some old Simmons scopes. One on a 30-06 and another on 7mm Mag. They still function well enough for him to kill deer at 200+.

You will be just fine.

RedneckFur

Dont listen to hype. Simmons's pro and master series scopes are great lower priced scopes. I have two, and both have provided years of service over thousands of shots.

dgludwig

If it can't handle the recoil "forces" of a .223, it ain't good for much of anything. My experience with Simmons' optics has been good-though I confess most of my rifle scopes and spotting scopes are Leupolds, Burris, Bausch&Lombs, Redfields and Weavers.

jpwilly

I've owned a number of simmons scopes over the years. None of them ever failed me I still have one on a 303 that's seen 320ish rounds.

Complete and total garbage..... I had a simmons WTC last all of 6 rounds on my 30-06 before coming apart... And I'm not going to pay simmons to fix it...

bottom rung

If it is a Simmons 22 Mag scope, I beleive it is designed for rimfire applications. The biggest thing that I can think of is that the paralax is set for 50 yards instead of the standard 100 yard point that is typical of centerfire rifle scopes. Other than that, I do not know. I got to look through a Simmons Aetec and it was surprisingly clear. I would say it was on par with my Leupold VX-1. I also have a Simmons .22 Mag 3-9 that has served me well on my 10/22.

pilothunter

I believe bottom rung is right in that likely the only difference is the parallax being at 50yds. Whether it will hold up depends on overall build quality not the recoil, especially from a .223.