Will I Blow Off a Finger

fshfindr

I need some advise or at least some opinions. I mentioned in an earlier thread that I had started using The Lee Auto Prime instead of priming with my Lee 3 hole press. Doing it is not a big problem and retired men should never complain about time. So forget that it does take extra time for an extra operation. After priming my shells (I only do .380's and .38's), I put them into the tubes that feed the turret. I am only using one tube right now and may go to 3 tubes soon. I should have counted before writing this but I'd say there are about 30-40 shells in a tube. Today while reloading, It occurred to me that the primed shells are falling on top of each other and a primed shell (primer down) is falling onto the slide that pushes it into the turret. The primed shells are not too heavy but I wondered what was the chance of a primer going off. After a lot of years, I've never had that happen but I've never done this before either. Are there any opinions out there and if you think it is a hazard can you suggest a solution other than hand feeding? Or, am I obsessing?

Richard L.

Last edited:

jeffreyulatan

Do you mean that cheap Lee Pro 1000 brass dispenser? It's totally fine. I used a Lee Pro 1000 years ago for 223 and never had one explode when I was loaded primed brass. Trust me it takes a lot of force to make a primer go off. No you won't blow your fingers off either lol.

m&p45acp10+1

The only two people that I ever met that used Lee progressive presses primed off of the press. They said the primer system led to a lot of hang ups.

Mal H

Staff
"Or, am I obsessing?"

Yes, a little. ;)

Think about what else might hit the base of a loaded round a lot harder than an empty shell falling a very short distance - the bolt face when it slams into the next round in a magazine. You don't hear about a bunch of exploding rounds from the literally billions of rounds fired from semi and full automatic firearms. Rounds do sometimes explode out of battery, but it's not because they got slammed in the rear by the bolt.