Will Glock Discontinue the Gen3, and If So When?

TunnelRat

Hi all,
So I was wondering this the other day. When will the Gen 4 become the only offering from Glock? I would imagine it will happen at some point in time. I know the release of the Gen 4 had some bumps in the road, but it would seem to me that at some point Glock would only want to worry about the tooling for one product line. Any thoughts?

-TR

JohnKSa

Administrator
The last official word on the matter I heard (armorer's class) was that there were no plans to retire the Gen3 line.

Obviously, that could change at any time.

Martowski

Seems funny that they'd continue to manufacture both; almost feels like a company manufacturing two years of the same automobile. Although, I guess Springfield is marketing their XD and XDM at the same time so why not.

Any idea why they aren't just going to the Gen 4?

TunnelRat

HK does still manufacture the USP despite having offerings that are newer and accomplish the same thing.

I actually like the Gen 3 better. It has a bit more meat at the top of the back strap whereas the Gen 4 tends to be a bit less comfortable shooting a long time for me. But the reversible mag catch of the Gen 4 must be nice for lefties.

Quentin2

Even though Gen4 bugs seem corrected Glock may have to do a "new and improved", renaming it Gen5 before they can get past bad feelings about Gen4 and loyalty to Gen3. Kinda like MS having to replace Vista with Windows 7 before people would upgrade from Windows XP!

JohnKSa

Administrator
Any idea why they aren't just going to the Gen 4?
The Gen3 guns are a little less expensive.

In addition, the decision probably supports police departments (or militaries) which have a considerable investment in the Gen3 (and/or prior) guns and don't see a need to upgrade at this time. They may still need to occasionally purchase guns and parts.

Finally, the differences in the two generations, while relatively minor, are sufficient that any given user might prefer one generation over the other. Glock may perceive that there's a business advantage in offering both generations.

9x19

I too prefer the 3rd generation Glocks. They fit my hand just fine and I see no need to spend the extra for something I don't need (back-strap and mag catch of the 4th generation).

whip1

The Gen4 guns are not legal in California. For that reason alone, I think Glock will continue to make the Gen3s.

LockedBreech

I much prefer the Gen4 guns, but I don't imagine Gen3 will be retired anytime soon. I know a lot of shooters, police officers, etc. who use the Gen3 and prefer them over the Gen4.

I see where they're coming from. I have no use at all for the Springfield XDM guns, they don't fit me in the slightest, but to my surprise the original XD/H2000 guns I like quite a lot. I'm glad they make both.

ClydeFrog

Gen 03/Gen 04 ....

If I were right handed Id buy a Glock Gen 03 too.
The frames are better than the aggressive(in my view, poorly designed) RTF-02 Gen 04 frames.
The Gen 03 series Glocks also seem to have great reviews & support where the newer Gen 04 pistols had R&D problems, complaints & - reviews. :(

In nearly 25 years, I've never one to leap onto the Glock bandwagon.
The features & QC of "America's Gun" :rolleyes: seem to have many supporters but for the $$$, I could see buying a Walther, SIG, M&P, or Beretta model first.

Clyde