will .223 work in a 7.62 AK

Bender711

OK i know that his sounds absurd, but i once read/ heard some where that you could get .223 to feed and fire and eject in an AK-47. And that the VC would do this in nam. does any body know if this would work?:confused:

Bender711

i didnt think so

it didnt seem likley, but its an AK you never know with them.
what is that other myth that you were talking about ,Handy?

Dave Haven

I've seen a .223 case that was fired in an AK. It actually fired. It bulged the <K9 excrement> out of the case. It didn't cycle the action, and accuracy and velocity were extremely unimpressive. It's not good for the gun, and could be hazardous to the shooter.

I've heard two myths regarding the 7.62X39/7.62X51.

The first being that the 7.62X39 could function in the M14 because it was just slightly smaller than the 7.62X51, but the VC couldn't shoot the 7.62X51 in their AK's because it wouldn't chamber. In reality, the 7.62X39 is too short to headspace and fire in a 7.62X51 chamber unless somehow the extractor holds it against the bolt face. This myth is partially correct in that the 7.62X51 ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT chamber in a 7.62X39 chamber. It won't fit in the magazine, either.

The second myth being that the VC's could shoot 7.62X51 in their AK's (Impossible - see above), but the 7.62X39 would blow up an M14 because the bullet is .003" larger than the bullet in the 7.62X51. (Unlikely)

MTMilitiaman

There are Kalashnikovs designed to feed and fire the 5.56mm available in both the commercial and military markets but the 5.56mm should be kept out of all 7.62mm and 5.45mm AKs.

Handy

Like I hinted, that Russian a 7.62x39 ammo could be used in captured US 7.62x51 weapons. That was the rumor I had heard from the Vietnam era.

Mister_Dinky

OK i know that his sounds absurd, but i once read/ heard some where that you could get .223 to feed and fire and eject in an AK-47. And that the VC would do this in nam. does any body know if this would work?

Crap!

craigntx

the aks the iraqi security forces use are supposedly in 223 so ammo can be shared w/ our guys.
and theyre made in bulgaria by arsenal

270Win

Ooh! I stand corrected!

Serves me right for not reading my own reference carefully!

5.45 it is then.

I guess I saw 5.xx and went to the one I knew best.

Interesting, that wiki article says it was likely developed after the Soviets studied our own 5.56x45mm cartridge in Vietnam. The whole explanation about tumbling vs. fragmenting was intriguing.