Wiley Clapp "The .40 Is a Better Choice Than the 9 mm"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmr40

He is partly right. It depends on which data you present and which data you ignore. Clapp is ignoring a lot of data and presenting a one sided argument that is only partly true.

The 40 S&W cartridge out performs 9mm and 45 ACP by a narrow margin in testing and when data from real world shootings has been compiled. But the differences between the 3 are VERY close.

I have no issue with someone who feels more comfortable with 40 over 9mm. The difference is small, but real. I have no issue with someone choosing 9mm if they feel the slight loss of performance is worth more ammo and less recoil.

The 45 ACP is the loser. It's real world performance is only marginally better than 9mm and marginally worse than 40 S&W, but it has the most recoil and the least capacity.

Old Bill Dibble

9mm is a lot cheaper too. A marginal improvement for 25% more cost is not really logical.

I don't really buy the:
...lighter weight and smaller stature in the work force..... A lot of these people are far more comfortable with a 9 mm.

Argument presented with zero evidence. Seems self referential and apocryphal.

MarkCO

I have seen several articles with the Clapp byline that also lacked supportable data. One of the ammo/firearms companies must need to move some .40 S&W product.

lee n. field

Gun board purgatory -- where you spend the next 500 years purifying your soul by settling the "9 vs .40 vs .45" question.

(OK, now to read the piece.)

-----edit to add----

Read the Clapp article. That's it? Not much substance there.

Rangerrich99

First, in law enforcement, there are now many more officers of lighter weight and smaller stature in the work force.

This may be a little indiscreet, but isn't he just trying to be as politically correct as possible? I think it's obvious he's speaking about the influx of women into the ranks of our peace officers.

As for the article itself, well I've always been a believer that bigger holes are always better than small ones. However, if one can shoot 9mms straighter and faster, then have at it.

Texas45

9mm 40 38/357 all pretty much the same bore dia difference being in case length and bullet weight. However they are pretty close to each other due to the physics you can only fit so much bang in the space and only move so much weight so fast with it.

So the results will be close to each other.

However the debate will never be settled.
People will always be in favor of one over the other.

What ever works for you is the best option.

I chose 40 as a carry caliber until the recent release of the 45 shield I stepped up to that. I wanted a compact 45 and the shield fit the bill after looking at the options available.

I still only own 40 or 45 semi auto pistols. I have no desire to own a 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cslinger

Mumble mumble 10mm mumble Maryanne mumble ak47 mumble etc. :)

Christ they are all anemic hangun calibers. 12 gauge ..... now we have a real starting point. :)

I love these threads.

Were there lots of gunfights where the 9mm won the day.....yep
How about .45.....yep
how about .40.......yep
What about .38......yep
How about .357 ...... hell yep
.....38 super ..... unnhuh
.44 wcf. Yep
.30 Mauser ......
The point is getting in a gun fight is stupid but once you are there skill, calm, and luck followed by platform are far and away way the hell more important then Caliber.

So once again for me personally and it does change .....
.357/AR/Maryanne/00/neat bourbon

I like .40 too.

One day in the far future. Two moisture farmers on mars are going to be asking the same questions. They will also have an 870 variant and probably an AK. :)

By the way if you are ever unlucky enough to get into a gunfight and think squeezing of one .45.44.35710mm9mmwhateverthehell and it's gonna end the confrontation.......your probably gonna die or visit an emergency room. Just saying 1 shot stops.......aren't.

849ACSO

The 45 ACP is the loser. It's real world performance is only marginally better than 9mm and marginally worse than 40 S&W, but it has the most recoil and the least capacity.

As compared to what? My Para P14 has less recoil and more capacity than sub compact 40...................

I guess it's true; what they say about opinions...............

Greg Bell

[QUOTE...lighter weight and smaller stature in the work force..... A lot of these people are far more comfortable with a 9 mm.
Argument presented with zero evidence. Seems self referential and apocryphal.][/QUOTE]

I think most of it comes from the justification put forward by the FBI. I'm not saying I agree or disagree but the FBI did seem to point to this as a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.