Wiley Clapp GPs worth the extra $???

freebird72

I have my heart set on a GP 100. I was going to get the basic blued 4 inch model, but I really like the look of the Wiley Clap(WC) GP much better. The only reason I have not bought a WC GP is because of the price and shorter barrel.

From my understanding, the WC is a little bit finer tuned than a basic model; is this true?

Is the 3 inch too short for a .357? I have read anything under 4 inches is too short for a .357 and you will not get its full use.

I like the looks of the Novak sights on the WC GP, but are they better than the adjustable ones on a basic model?

Do the sights, unique finish, and being possibly better tuned make the WC GP worth the extra $100?

Maybe somebody who has shot both can give me a first hand account.

Waspinator

I don't think they are better "tuned", I thin they just have different features/finish then a standard GP100.

The WC have the Novack sights, a "black" finish, melted corners (sharp angles are rounded out on the whole firearm), the Older style grips with special WC inserts and something else I'm forgetting (chamfers?).

What the WC version doesn't have over the 4" GP100 is the adjustable rear sight, the quick-change front sight and a more robust finish (blued or stainless). The WC's are nice and I can see why people buy that version, but i think giving up the adjustable/quick change sights in favor for the Novak style made it unappealing to me. I also don't like how much material they took away from the top-strap to fit that Novack rear sight into the frame. I know that the consensus is it shouldn't effect the strength of the firearm, but being a machinist, I know the more material you take away, the weaker something becomes.

jmr40

A 3" 357 mag with 125 gr bullets is going to be shooting them about the same speed as 124 gr 9mm +P ammo. But with a lot more blast and recoil. The 357 does offer the option of heavier bullets which the 9mm cannot match. FWIW the 4" barrel isn't a whole lot better, you really need 7" or more to see anywhere near published speeds for any magnum revolver round.

For me, It would be worth it though. 3" revolvers are a very good length and are not all that common. I'd pay the extra for one. You can always find a 4" or 6" gun later. Finding another 3" gun might not happen anytime soon.

A 3" gun will likely appreciate in value while a more common 4" gun will depreciate over time too.

freebird72

I had read the WC GP was tuned, but than again I do not know for sure. I will say, the one I held a year or so ago was one of the tightest revolvers I have ever seen; and I have held a few custom tuned S&W 19s.

Model12Win

FWIW the 4" barrel isn't a whole lot better, you really need 7" or more to see anywhere near published speeds for any magnum revolver round.

Horse hockey.

You will certainly see honest companies like Buffalo Bore, Underwood, etc. and even larger companies like Speer and Federal who will give you very accurate velocity numbers and that will state what length barrel they were generated from. This wasn't and still isn't the case with a number of companies but DO NOT need a 7" or longer .357 magnum revolver for good performace.

And as for 4" not being "a whole lot better" that was the very barrel length most often used with the hot 125 grain .357 SJHP loads that came out in the late 70s/early 80s that developed an almost legendary status as a manstopper.

I say to the OP, if you aren't planning on concealing the gun go with the 4" barrel. If you are, the 3" bbl can still give good numbers and performance with proper loads.

Durnitz579

I've owned a Wiley Clapp GP for about a year, and it, IMHO, was worth the extra money. It does indeed come with a much slicker trigger than the run-of-the-mill GP100. Extremely light and smooth action, no notchiness, and breaks cleanly. The cylinder is scalloped at the front, which is a nice touch, and all the sharp edges are blended. The fixed sights are somewhat of a non-issue for me, since I bought it as a Concealed-Carry piece. Very nice revolver, so if you happen to have the extra change for it, you're going to love it.

freebird72

I do not plan on carrying the GP, but I would like it be a nightstand gun. However, I really just want a GP to shoot and learn on. I will not baby this gun, but I will not mistreat it either. I don't mind spending the extra money if the WC is indeed a better tuned gun as I wan the best bang for my buck.

The only real decision is the barrel length. I won't be hunting with the GP, so I don't need every FPS I can get, but at the same time I don't want a .357 that can't really exceed .38spc P+ power.

Basically I want a good shooter that will also make a good bedside gun. I would more than likely use some form of .38spc ammo for home defense; simply because of the noise difference. I will use .357mag for range use though.

357 Terms

A 3" 357 mag with 125 gr bullets is going to be shooting them about the same speed as 124 gr 9mm +P ammo.

You have no idea what your talking about, you should courtesy flush when you post that.

I keep 140grn Barnes XPB's in my 3in GP100 and they clock out of it at nearly 1300fps.

I like the WC GP's, mostly for the sights. I love mine for the compact grips!!

If I were to get a WC I would have to put the compacts on it, so another added expense on top of the original price.

I am happy with my 3in GP, I cant justify getting the WC...but that is simply because I have a 3in already.

dgludwig

With respect to barrel length and how it affects velocity for the .357 Magnum (and most other cartridges for that matter), there's no getting past the fact that, everything else being equal in terms of bullet weight/configuration, amount and type of powder, etc., the longer the barrel (within reason), the higher the velocity. The question becomes how much of a difference in fps makes a difference for the intended use. In terms of the difference in fps of the .357 Magnum between the 3" and 4" barrel when the revolver is intended for self-defense use, practically speaking, imo, not enough to worry about.
More important might be how the gun with the shorter or longer barrel handles for you; what difference the small disparity in sight radius might mean for you; how much better the shorter barrel conceals and what dissimilarities in recoil and muzzle blast are different enough to make a difference. In truth, I don't think the decision between getting a three or a four inch barrel is nearly as consequential as, say, deciding between a four or a six inch long barrel.
As much as I like the looks of the Wiley Clapp iteration, more important to me is retaining the Ruger fully adjustable rear sight.

DannyB1954

I almost ordered one, but I prefer a Stainless finish as I give my guns a hard time. I will probably go with a Ruger GP100 Match Champion

ligonierbill

The $100 premium isn't that much...if you like it. I like my stainless 4" GP-100, and I wouldn't spring for the extra, but that's me. Regards the 3" barrel, it's probably convenient packin' in the woods, but my 4" doesn't seem to get in the way.

The statements about 9 mm +P seem to be a common internet myth. Here are some real measured velocities:

9x19
Federal HST 124 - 1,141
Handload XTP 124 - 1,155
Both from a full size M&P. Might get a little hotter, but not by a lot if you want reliable ammo.

.357 Sig (the real plus up for 9 mm)
Federal Premium 125 - 1,348
Speer Gold Dot - 1,310 (with a Std of 3.3!)
Still working on the handloads. Shot from a Glock 23 with an OEM barrel.

.357 Mag
Hornady Custom 125 - 1,430
Shot from a 4" GP-100; figure 50-75 fps slower with a 3". I don't load 125's, but my one workup was down around the Sig velocities. Getting 1,300 with 158 XTP's with an "in spec" load of AA#9.

amd6547

I was all set to get a WC GP100 last year...it was on the local Armslist.
The seller's work schedule kept getting in the way.
Meanwhile, I sold an AK, and met the buyer at a local gun shop.
With the money in my pocket, I looked in the used case, and they had a standard, non WC fixed sight 3" GP. The price I negotiated was quite a bit less than the WC I was going to buy.
While it came with the big Hogues Ruger provides now, I got a great deal on a pair of compact Lett grips.
The 3" GP100 shoots great. I had studied up on GP trigger jobs...but I didn't need to. My 3" has a fantastic trigger. Better in every way than even my treasured S&W Model 15 Combat Masterpiece.

Venom1956

i wouldn't worry about 1" barrel length but honestly i'd carry .38+p simply because of the report of a .357 especially indoors is quite damaging to your ears. Its honestly something to think about.

NWCP

A GP100 with a .357 will work jut fine sporting a 3" barrel. My SP101 has the 3" barrel and I fire .357s on occasion just because that's what it's loaded with for the car. At the range my wife and I run .38spl through it. She is a bit heavy so it usually gets nightstand duty, or in the car holster duty, but my wife likes the gun and shoots it well. That matters a lot to me.

Safestuffer

I had the chance to handle one earlier this year and was not impressed.
It did not have nearly the same fit and finish of my sp101. It seemed to me that whatever coating they put on it was so thick they had to make the tolerances loose to allow for it, and consequently the gun was loose feeling....that was my impression anyways. I don't know what they coat the WC gp100 with, if anything, but I don't like the finish.
The trigger was no better than my sp101 either.
I would prefer a standard un coated stainless gp100, the ones I've handled felt much tighter than the Wiley Clapp gp100 I handled.

Jim March

If I wanted a better-than-normal GP100 I'd get the Match Champion - came out after the Wiley and is an even better gun :).

Bart Noir

I almost ordered one, but I prefer a Stainless finish as I give my guns a hard time.

My WC is in fact a stainless steel model, with a bright fiber optic sight and a slick trigger pull that just amazes me, since it has "Ruger" on the gun.

Of course, you have to know that that trigger pull is being compared to an old 3-inch Speed Six.

Bart Noir

Bart Noir

At the range my wife and I run .38spl through it. She is a bit heavy so it usually gets nightstand duty, ....

Friend NWCP, for your sake I hope your wife doesn't read this forum :eek:

Bart Noir
Who has been a smart-butt once or twice before.

Vermonter

Gp 100

I am in love with my stainless 4" Gp100. IDK if I would shell more coin for the wc version. I did shell out more money for stainless vs blued though. The gun is well "tuned" and lock up is great. Accuracy is fantastic.

YMMV