Wiley Clapp GP-100 questions

PatientWolf

I've been looking at GP-100s lately and there is a Wiley Clapp in SS nearly new available near me for about $675.

What are the thoughts on the price and does anyone have experience with this pistol? Does anyone have any feedback on how the Wiley Clapp compares to the Match Champion other than the 3-1/2" barrel on the WC vs 4" barreling the MC?

Deaf Smith

That's a lot of money for a six shot .357... Now IF you get it (I presume it has Novak sights) well it turns out Novak makes and ADJUSTABLE Novak sight that fits the dovetail!

Just in case you want a Novak sight that has some elevation ability.

Deaf

reddog81

Looks like different grips and different sights. It's just a GP100 with different trim. You can get a new GP100 for less than that.

PatientWolf

Thanks for the input. In addition to the sights and grips, I believe the WC has an improved trigger. In fact when I dry-fired it, I thought it was closer to the S&W trigger than other DA Ruger's I've tried.

That being said, although I have no complaints about a 6-shot revolver I think I'll probably pass on this one based on the price.

UncleEd

Current retail price for a new GP 100 is around $600.

The Novak sights and Altamont grips add another $100, I suppose.

So the asking price for a LNIB example is basically a near full
retail in current market, I believe.

As to trigger, I don't really think anything special exists about the
Wiley Clapp. Ruger DA triggers have been pretty good of late.

Asking price for a matte blue Wiley Clapp on the Georgia trading
site is $650.

amd6547

I was trying to buy a Wiley Clapp GP100 off a guy on Armslist two years ago. But, he worked all the time, and was hard to get ahold of. Price was $600.
By coincidence, I sold a rifle (which was to buy the Ruger) in the parking lot of a large gun shop.
With cash in pocket, I looked in their used case, and they had a like new 3" GP100...$450 out the door.
So I bought it instead.
What a fantastic revolver. The trigger is comparable in every way to my well used S&W Model 15-3, very smooth double action with a very nice single action. Seems to be a gun I can't miss with, at any range out to 100yds.
The fixed sights are large and clear, and shoot to POA...My last Ruger was a 3" SP101 which did not shoot to POA, so I had concerns about that.
I found a compact Lett grip on eBay for $35 to replace the large Hogue the gun came with. The big Hogue shot great though, and I still put it on sometimes. Works good around the house. The compact Lett grip does great for all purposes, though. Full power magnum ammo is easy to shoot in this revolver, regardless of the grip. All I shoot in this revolver is 357mag...if I want to shoot 38spl, I grab the Model 15.
Anyway, if you have a hankering for a 3" GP100, don't overlook the standard fixed sight version.
You lose the semi-custom and limited production aspects of the WC, but you get a fantastic carry and HD revolver for quite a bit less.

L-2

The MSRP of a Wiley Clapp GP100 is $979. One used at $650 sounds like a good price if it's what's wanted.

A regular 3" GP100 can be gotten new from approximately $608 to $650.

I've considered getting one of those Wiley Clapp models too, but hasn't been a priority right now.

WyMark

I enjoy shooting all of my handguns, semi or wheel, and they all make me smile when I shoot them. But the one that always makes me grin like an idiot is the 4.2" GP100 .357. I don't know what's special about the WC model, but the GP100 is my most funnest gun to shoot, by far.

T. O'Heir

No mention of 'em on Ruger's site, but there's lots on-line. It's just a TALO distributors, 3" "Special Edition"(apparently from 2012), GP100 with Novak sights and jazzy wood insert grips just like the original GP(had mine since they first came here in the mid 80's.). Innards weren't touched.
ALL new firearms require a trigger job right out of the box. The advantage of the GP is how easy doing a trigger job is for one.
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2012/1/25/wiley-clapptalo-ruger-gp100/

Deaf Smith

Just saw a GP100 at gun show with a REAL 2 1/2 barrel!

Yep, just like a S&W 66 Combat Magnum snub! Interesting. With DAO hammer and rounded grips it would be a dandy.

Deaf