wildfire started by target shooter

fulltlt

I just heard on the national news this morning that a wildfire was started by a person target shooting. Does anyone else have any more details?

Mikul

I see about 10 brush fires every year caused by a slob who threw his cigarette butt out of his car window.

Paul K

yeah but if hes target shooting, and there was a wild fire, what is the bullet going to richoshet off of? wood? i didnt know a bullet bouning off of wood would create a spark.
Now, maybe some really hot brass or somthing might seem more logical, but, i dont think some hot brass could cause a fire, but, i im probbly worng because brass can get pretty hot.
somthing aint right.

Coronach

Assuming its true...

I bet he was smoking. If so, the report would be true...he was SHOOTING and he STARTED A FIRE.

Nevermind that its misleading...

Mike

It depends on WHERE he was shooting.

If he was at a formal range, probably not much chance of starting a fire.

But, if he was shooting at one of the "stop and shoot" type "ranges," which aren't formal ranges at all but just secluded areas where people have gathered to shoot, there could be rocks, old cars, appliances, etc., all over the place.

I was out shooting at such a range in Pennsylvania with friends some years ago.

There was an old car there that we were shooting at.

I pulled out my SKS, and started popping away. This was in the day of Russian surplus steel-core ammo, so you can imagine the sparks that were being kicked up.

It's also not inconceivable that the person was shooting tracers, too. They're out there, and pretty cheap, and are fully capable of starting a fire.

PKN

The only way I can think of the actual act of shooting could cause a brush fire is using a powder with a lot of flash and being totally ignorant. More likely the cigarete issue previously mentioned.

On another note, how big was the fire? A wildlands fire can be anything from a single tree on fire to Yellowstone proportions. Somehow my BS meter is going off here(like the media would EVER BS about shooters :rolleyes: )

Rezdog

Twenty-five years ago a friend and I were shooting at the "off-duty range" at Fort Richardson, Alaska; he was shooting a .300 Weatherby and I was shooting a Springfield '06. The next thing you know there's a fire about a thousand yards downrange and everyone ran down there and stomped it out. When we got back to the firing line, another shooter looked at my '06 and said, "Looks like a red tip [i.e. a tracer] snuck into your ammo box." Actually, it wasn't me; my buddy had loaded .30 cal tracers in his Weatherby! Military ranges have lots of problems from tracers, HE, WP, smoke grenades, and everything else.