wich ak woould you pick?

SpookBoy

Hello again all, Im in the market for a new full size Ak47, as I already have a pap m92 w stabilizer brace. I have it narrowed down to the n-pan opap, or a Yugo m70, can someone please describe the differences in these models? my m92 is great, so im sure Zastava wont let me down, but id like to know the differences/ opinions those who have shot or own them. I just cant afford an $800-1000 for an AK, so saiga & vepr are out. only other choice would possibly be a centurion 39. Thanks & happy trails.

Model12Win

Zastava makes guns like nobody else's business.

My unissued, unfired Yugo M59/66A1 they made is one GORGEOUS rifle and is made as well as anything that ever came out of the USA intended for war. Solid billet steel machined throughout... excellent fit and finish... the thing is built like a tank. I just don't think you could go wrong with one of there offerings.

That my 2¢!

az_imuth

Although mine's an underfolder, I have a M70AB2 that has run flawlessly ever since I bought it back in 2007. I've also never had an bit of an issue with the non-chromed barrel. In fact, I have numerous military rifles without chrome-lined barrels and they are as bright and shiny today as when they were new. Tons of corrosive 8mm in my Mausers and they still look great. Just clean 'em up when you're done shooting and no worries. One of those issues that gets blown way out of proportion IMHO. Besides, after firing off corrosive ammo in a semi-auto, cleaning the barrel is a piece of cake. It's the gas system and all the other nooks and crannies I'd be more concerned about...IF I were the worrying type.;)
M70YugoRSopCustom_zpsb575540a.jpg

highpower3006

They'd have another fan here, if they came with chrome lined barrels.

A non-issue. The surplus corrosive ammo has long dried up and it is unlikely that you are going to be shooting your rifle in the full auto mode.

How can anyone tell you what to buy? Purchasing a new gun is a personal thing and what one person likes is going to be different from what another prefers.

Here is my opinion:

I have both a PAP and a M70AB2 underfolder and really like them both. I think that for the money I would try to get the OPAP first, then the NPAP. Both are factory built rifles with just a few parts added to make them 922r compliant.

The M70 is built using a parts kit on a US made receiver and a US barrel. However, my M70 is one of my favorite desert blasters so you really can't go wrong with any of them.

My modest collection of AK's
IMG_3215-XL.jpg

SpookBoy

What is the difference between the opap & npap? ive found some npaps on j&g sales for 529.99 with the ar style collapsible stock or wood. im just wanting this to last my lifetime. like I said, my pap m92 w stabilizer brace is awesome!
Another question, will standard Yugo rail systems fit it? or just standard ak pattern furniture, on the npap or opap. I know my m92 takes proprietary furniture.

highpower3006

The OPAP has the thicker RPK 1.5mm receiver and is correspondingly heavier. The NPAP has a standard 1mm thick receiver and for all practical purposes is the same rifle.

OPAP's are more sought after and therefore command a bit of a premium. But all of them are great rifles.

SpookBoy

Thanks for the info, now as far as rail systems & stocks go, would I need to order "yugo furniture?" Or will standard AK stocks & forearms fit?

Darker Loaf

On shooting corrosive ammo, just be aware of where your gasses are blowing. I shot next to a buddy with an aggressive brake on an AR chambered in 5.45x39, and I could feel the puffing of gasses escaping and hitting me. Every gun what Venom1956 and I brought out that day corroded on every unprotected part: think bolt's on Ruger 22/45 and 10/22, screws, pins, and generally any exposed carbon steel. Oil or other non-water based cleaners will not help.

Just remember that you are spraying corrosive salts everywhere when you are shooting this type of ammo. Do shooters around you a favor and spend slightly more money to shoot non-corrosive. Obviously, if you are shooting alone: have at 'er!

highpower3006

Yugo's are different from any other type of AK when it comes to furniture. If you want some kind of tacticool set up you would probably be better off getting a WASR as they come with a side mount.