Why your hand should never be used as a rest

jimpeel

Ran across this while browsing the 'net.

Maybe using the hand rest worked well in the old days while participating in a duel. Not so good nowadays.

This guy uses his hand to rest the firearm and ends up shooting himself in the hand. I'm sure he will use a firm two-handed grip from now on -- if he still has the use of that hand.

It looks like he shoots himself more than once as the firearm is on full auto when the accident happens.

The firearm is a select fire Glock.

VIDEO LINK

FrankenMauser

He wasn't using his hand as a rest. He hit the release button for the fore-grip, and slid it right off the rail.

Ignorance, a poor choice of fore-grip, and lack or familiarity with the weapon are the issues here.

jimpeel

OUCH! Good catch. I reviewed the video and you are right. Also read the text this time. When all else fails read the instructions.

I thought he was resting the firearm on his hand and stitched himself. That also explains the object laying on the floor at the end.

Sorry for the confusion and lack of paying attention.

JohnKSa

Administrator
The vertical forward grip definitely came off, you can see it lying on the floor in the video. I figured it either came off due to the recoil/frame flex or that something broke. Where did you find the information indicating that he simply hit the release button?

I think that even with a foregrip that has a more secure attachment method (as opposed to a button release) it might still be unwise to mount a foregrip on a pistol (especially a polymer-framed pistol) without contacting the manufacturer of the pistol. Mounting a foregrip on the rail subjects it to very different stresses compared to using it for the intended purpose of mounting light or a laser.

By the way, since this may not be common knowledge, it's worth mentioning that it's not legal to mount a foregrip on a pistol in the U.S. without filling out the proper NFA paperwork and paying the appropriate tax.

Flopsweat

"I think that even with a foregrip that has a more secure attachment method (as opposed to a button release) it might still be unwise to mount a foregrip on a pistol...)"

I'm with you there John. I'ts all fun and games until someone looses an eye... or a finger.

Mal H

Staff
Anybody notice the jumping jacks target holders? I'll bet it's pretty hard to get a good grouping at that range!

FrankenMauser

Where did you find the information indicating that he simply hit the release button?

Long ago, when the original video was posted (3, 4, 5 years ago?), the owner of the weapon posted some comments on the YouTube video. He denied the theories people were making, saying that the fore-grip or rail had broken. He clarified that the shooter managed to get one of his fingers on the release; and admitted it was probably a poor choice for that weapon.

I remember trivial, useless information better than things that really matter. :rolleyes:

JohnKSa

Administrator
Thanks for the information. You'd think a pre-shooting briefing would cover things like not hitting the button on the release for the foregrip. Guess those are things some folks never think of except in retrospect.

KyJim

Thanks for the information. You'd think a pre-shooting briefing would cover things like not hitting the button on the release for the foregrip. Guess those are things some folks never think of except in retrospect.
Many years ago, I took my wife shooting with a revolver. All was well. Then I took her shooting with a semi-auto. I showed her how to hold it, aim it, and pull the trigger. I did not emphasize keeping the thumb down below the level of the slide. Yep, she raised the thumb a bit and the slide bit her thumb.