Why wouldn't I buy a USP 45c?

Greg Bell

Guys,

Why wouldn't I buy a USP 45c? I saw one at a local shop and it seemed neat. I 've rented one at the range before and it was nice.. I'm looking for a carry 45 (just for the heck of it). Why shouldn't I buy it?

GHB

DAKODAKID

You just can't help yourself can you Greg!!lol

My home defense weapon of choice is the
.45 USP compact with night sights and the UTL
light...small,light,accurate and powerful...
Nice little beast.....
Actually likes the +P ammo!!!
It is my wife's gun and someday I will buy one
for myself!!!!

wildboarZ

You wouldn't want one because USP's are really boring. Never any jams or anything to deal with. Just a consistent pull the trigger - BANG. The saaaame thing shot after shot. Too easy to shoot also, they should should throw in some unreliability and abusive recoil and then all of mine wouldn't be so boring ;)

MrPink

I like my USPs for all the right reasons, but since you are asking about why not to buy:

1) They are plastic. OK, an advanced polymer, but it is hard to get passionite about plastic.

2) They are kinda ugly. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder; I mean I think the P7, 1911, High Power and Centennial are about the best looking guns out there. Oh yeah, don't forget the PPK. But the USP has this chunky functionality, kinda like a SIG or volumptous East European women.

3) The stock trigger needs some work. But then again, what stock trigger doesn't?

SAWBONES

Hi Greg;
There are several reasons.
1.) Too wide. Chunky, in fact.
2.) Just-plain-awful DA first shot trigger pull, and not capable of being easily fixed via H&K's "drop-in" Match trigger, which can't be fitted to the USP .45C.
3.) High bore axis, similar to SigSauers, therefore more muzzle flip than, say, a Glock 30.
4.) Steel magazine bodies have been reported to come apart at the weld, though this must be rare.
5.) Mags only hold eight rounds.
6.) Quality control has been a bit spotty with the USP .45C, it appears. Some "lemons" have turned up. I know, I had one that wouldn't hit consistently (poor precision).
7.) The HE ("Hostile Environment") slide finish isn't as durable as it might be, and shows wear relatively quickly at high points.

Those are the negatives, and for me, they were compelling enough that I recently got rid of my two USP .45Cs.
Besides being a longtime H&K fan, I got them originally because they could be had in a form permitting "cocked and locked" carry in a left-handed .45ACP without requirement for an ambidextrous safety. I feel the Glock 30 is overall-superior to the USP .45C, as long as it fits your hands. If not, well, the slimmer grip size is one of the "positives" of the USP .45C...

vyper005

Greg,
I had 2 USP 45c's,one in SS and the other in HE.The SS model was bought around 3yrs ago and it was one of the most accurate guns I've ever fired,the 2nd 45c was purchased around 3 months ago and was pretty accurate but nowhere near the 1st one.The checkering is a kinda sharp especially on the front strap and the gun is just a little bit chubby.I never had a single problem with either gun and would highly recommend them to anyone.I recently traded the HE 45 in on an all German made Sig 226 in 9mm.I have also owned a Two-Tone USP 40c but got rid of that because it just didnt shoot as well as the 45c's...go figure...Have fun...Take care...

Vern Brink

Hmmm, I haven't liked the trigger on any stock USP I've fired so far. The reset is way to long. Overall, I think the Glock 30 might be a better choice. :)

Roadking

Because you decided to get a Kimber Heritage Edition instead?

That's what I just did. My deciding factor was that I'll get the USP45C after the Kimber. I decided on the Kimber first because it's a limited production model. There are those days when I want to carry a USP but I don't feel like hauling the size and weight of my Tactical and then I wish I had the compact.

JJCook

Because someone paid you a million bucks to buy a Glock.
That's why you wouldn't.

Buy the HK!!

Semper Fi-
JJC

greg c

Because you are afraid your firing pin will break like mine did. Check back a few months for my post and experiences getting it fixed. You will find that I was treated quite. . .

WELL!! :)

It sucks that the pin broke, apparently I'm not the first, but since the fix it has been fine for another 500 rounds or so, and I still carry it. The free night sights were a plus.

Otherwise, get a damn good IWB holster (Mad Dog Kydex for me), a strong belt (wilderness 1.5") and carry that thing cocked and locked!