Why would I want a Laser on my SW442?

Al Thompson

Staff Alumnus
Hard to say. I instinctivly distrust anything with batteries and you can still miss if your trigger control is off.

On the other paw, if you have to shoot from a strange position, maybe the laser can help.

You still have to zero the laser.

I do not put any trust in the "put the dot on their chest and they'll back off" theory. Most folks do not look at thier chest.

For the couple of hundred dollars you'll spend for the laser, you should be able to get a couple of thousand reloads. Practice makes perfect or so they say.

FWIW, last laser I used was the size of a 4 D cell Maglite, so I'm dated.

Giz

ajacobs

There is probally allot of opinions under the search function. I would agree that you should not get it for the intimiadation factor. I did want to chime in and say that the crimson trace lasers are very well made, powerful and worth the money. I have them on my ruger mk2. I don't have it on any defensive firearm. I use it just for plinking and I teach hunter ed and NRA pistol and it helps with instruction.

HYPERSS

Laser for the 442

I have one on mine and its helps..
But you do need to practice with it.
It aids in the point factor.
The sights on the 442 are so small that it would be hard to find in stressful times.
Once the laser is dot is on target then you check to see if the front sight is also on target.
Doesn't take much time to compare the two.

P

PreserveFreedom

Personally, I think it would be a neat little combination.

tonyz

I Bought A lazer for my wifes carry gun. I agree you still need to practice, but the point and shoot capability of the weapon is easy and efficient. Point the red dot at your intended target and pull the trigger.
I sighted hers in for 18 feet.

Best Tony

quiet guy

I have Crimson Laser Grips on my S & W 242 .38 caliber. This is a defensive carry weapon. It gives me an extra sense of confidence. My double-tap point & shoot accuracy has never been better w/ a short barrel (under 3"). I leave my switch in the "on" position. It has a life span of 1 year in the "on" position, if left on 365 days a year. So I change my battery every 10 to 11 months.

Try it, you'll like it.

Coronach

I view them as an added capability/option, and as long as they don't interfere with the normal functioning of the gun, they're fine. I mean, if the battery goes dead or the laser fails or whatever, its not like the gun won't shoot. I like the idea of lasergrips (no wires, no permanent modifications to the gun, etc etc) and the recoil spring guide replacements (same deal).

Of course, do NOT use the laser as a replacement for sights. Duh. :)

Mike

jaysouth

I carry a 642 with a crimson trace grips on a daily basis in a galco pocket holster. In the realm of my personal experience with the combo, I can offer the following benefits.

It is a positive aid to dry fire training.

In less than perfect daylight, it is an aid to my ability to hit the target.

The bragging rights are impressive.

You can get the cat a lot of exercise without getting out of your easy chair. I have worn out several sets of batteries playing with the cat. She never gets tired of chasing the red "mouse". To appease my long suffering spouse, I unload the gun in a very conspicious fashion before "playing" with the cat. She is afraid that I'll shoot the cat because she harbors the female fear that every man secretly hate cats.

I also have one mounted on my GSP colt. I have not fired it enough in limited light situations to form an intelligent opinion, but with the .45, all above also applies.

good shooting

Jay

BarrySDCA

I was gunna get a laser for my 442 when I first purchased it. After a HELL OF A LOT of practice, I decided I didn't need it any more.

Now I just got a G30 w/night sights. No way does that need a laser. :)

B