Why would I care?

garryc

I have a Rossi Rio Grande in 45-70. My hunting load is a 325gr FTX reload. I also have a 405 grain HB cast load using Trailboss. The scope is zeroed for the 325 grain load.

That Trailboss load falls 8-9 inches low of the 325 grain load. Since it's half the velocity of the 325 grain you would figure that. So what I do is practice with the cast load and then switch to the expensive and rare 325 for hunting. I simply fire a few to verify the zero and go hunting.

The guys at the range harp that I need to adjust the zero for the cast load. They are somehow obsessed with hitting the black. I could do that and count the clicks, but why? As long as they are going in the same spot who cares? I set the target high on the backer and the bullets hit the backer. Going in the same spot tells me I'm holding and controlling the trigger well. What else counts?

Am I missing something? Or, are others just being a little OCD?

Catfish

On the range is where you learn to shoot tight groups. When I`m after tiny groups I never aim at where the group will hit because you will shoot out your point of aim. If the boys want to see you holes in the black put you point of aim 8-9 in over the center of the bull.

mikejonestkd

My BIL shoots ICORE and IDPA and he complains about my guns' POI whenever he borrows one of my target pistols. He had never even heard of a 6 o'clock hold until we started shooting together.

If it works for you then don't change.

The guys at the range harp that I need to adjust the zero for the cast load. They are somehow obsessed with hitting the black. I could do that and count the clicks, but why? As long as they are going in the same spot who cares?
Don't take those others so serious. Their just offering some free guidance. What they probably observe is a fellow shooter that has a somewhat unique scope aiming way. No doubt OP if your comfortable with your boolits point of impact. Fine and dandy.

Boncrayon

You never mentioned your range. A 45-70 is effective at up to 200 yards, given the grain of the bullet. Gravity with such a large grain bullet is your problem. Are you shooting with an optical or aperture sight?

I'm shooting a Remington Rolling Block 45-70 at 100 yards with aperture sights and 67 year old eyes and achieve impressive close clusters. Remember that you are shooting paper at the range, but not close up Buffalo.

T. O'Heir

The Trailboss load falls 8-9 inches low is why. You should practice with the load you intend using too. How's it go now? Train how you intend fighting or something like that.
Mind you, it's your toy. Play with it how you want to.

Salmoneye

My BIL shoots ICORE and IDPA and he complains about my guns' POI whenever he borrows one of my target pistols. He had never even heard of a 6 o'clock hold until we started shooting together.

It stuns me these days how many people have not heard of (or used) the six-o-clock hold...

garryc

You should practice with the load you intend using too.

at $32 for 50 I don't think so. That is when you can find them, and I can't right now. I generally clean the rifle then fire 2. Handling the rifle has a value all its own, a step above dry fire practice.

You never mentioned your range. A 45-70 is effective at up to 200 yards, given the grain of the bullet. Gravity with such a large grain bullet is your problem. Are you shooting with an optical or aperture sight?

100 yards and I have a turkey shotgun scope on it. Beyond 100 yards is irrelevant where I hunt, just doesn't happen in those wooded hills. I don't even really use the cross hairs, the scope has a circle in it and I just put it over the kill zone, like an aperture. I'd use open sights if I wasn't fricking blind. As it is the scope is on 1.5 x, I can take it to 4x but never have. The heavy cross hairs going to a heavy circle works well.

I need to put a bullet in a 9 inch kill zone, being able to pick out a hair and hit it makes no difference at all.

Last edited:

tdoyka

i have a handi-rifle in 45-70 and it shots 405gr fbfn over a charge of h4198(35.0gr) with a mueller red dot1x scope. i'm glad "those guys" don't hunt and shoot around me. they would have real bad fits!!! mine shoots at 50 yards and the best i have gotten is a 1 1/2" 5 shot group. in most places i hunt, 50 yards is a long shot. 20-30 yards is the best bet for me. i haven't tried trail boss yet, i'm waiting for it to cool down this week(right now its 93 deg).