Why WILSON COMBAT is my pick of custom shops....

Will Fennell

I've been carrying a WILSON STEALTH, built for me about 5 years ago on a Springfield Armory lightweight compact, since the day I got it. I've shot the gun extensively, and developed ALOT of confidence in it. I haven't kept track of the exact number of rounds, but I would estimate in excess of 15,000 rounds, mainly hardball or full power defensive rounds. I have trained with it, and shoot IDPA with it. Its my favorite pistol I own. Period.
A short while ago, after a trip to the range , a friend and I were cleaning guns. Upon stripping the STEALTH, I noticed that the extractor claw looked like it was worn really bad. I dropped in a new extractor, and test fired the gun, ....it still worked great. Well, I got to thinking,,.....the old Black T finish[gun was built prior to ARMOR TUFF] was looking like hell, really worn bad on the alloy parts, and the alloy frame was dented up pretty bad, so maybe I should send it in for some TLC and a new coat of Armor Tuff. Keep in mind, the gun was working fine.....no jams, still grouping REALLY well. I was still trusting my hide to this gun, because it was still sooooo reliable. So off to WILSON's it goes....

After they stripped the frame, the good people at WILSON's call me and tell me[ to my horror] that the frame is cracked in 3[!] places, that the old extractor was definately worn enough to replace, and that my ejector was broken! I almost fell down! This gun was running fine with all those problems. I was kinda shell shocked, and really upset[not with WILSON'S] because this was my security blanket they were talking about. Well, the guy I was talking to, Tyson, asked me to hold the line for a moment, and the he wanted to show it to somebody. He came back in a few moments, and said that Bill Wilson had looked at it. Bill said that they would replace the Springfield frame with a new WISLON alloy frame, including all of the fitting[checkering, trigger, beavertail, etc] and only charge me the cost of the frame!!!!

I was truly amazed....here I have a problem with a Springfield product, that WILSON's worked on, and they are willing to eat all these costs for me. I mean guys this is costing them well over a $1000 just to make me a happy customer. So I naturally told them to charge me to upgrade my old nite-eyes to the new fixed sites while they are at it.....I will get back basically a brand new WILSON STEALTH for the cost of the raw frame, a new set of sites, and refinishing with armor tuff!!!!!!!!

This is customer service....

But the real lesson here is that WILSON COMBAT built me a gun that after 5 years of hard use, a frame cracked in 3[!] places, and 2 major broken pieces[extractor and ejector], the gun was still running fine. I will continue to carry WILSON COMBAT.

Until the STEALTH gets back.....I'll have to wear a little heavier coat and carry my KZ-45

------------------

[Edited by Will Fennell on 12-15-2000 at 10:56 AM]

James Montes

Wilson Combat

Will Fennell,

I too own a WILSON COMBAT STEALTH, it is on a WILSON Slide and frame.

It is by far the best handgun in my arsenal and IMHO the best 1911 ever devised. It shoots as good as the larger full size 1911s without all the extra dimensions.

Wilson Combat customer service is, as you have said...
...out of this world.

Unfortunetly, for most, so are their prices.

bk40

Will,

That my friend is fantastic service! Wilson Combat has rightfully earned a great customer reputation based on doing the right thing irregardless of the cost to them. Thanks for sharing.

ps- I got my "free" goodies (S&B ammo, cap, lube, ear muffs...) from WC today resulting from my recent purchase of a KZ45 :D

The_Huntman

What a company! As a new member to this forum it is always great to hear about long term support from a company like this. Especially with so many other people trying to make a quick buck and not willing to stand behind their products or their work. Recently I have been looking at getting a top notch pistol myself as I have fallen in love with the .45 and this makes me want to go out and get a Wilson right this minute. Thanks for helping me make my decision :)

buzz_knox

Wilson knows all about smart customer service. It probably will cost a lot less than $1000 to do all the work (maybe just a couple of hundred beyond the wholesale cost of the frame), but he's made a customer for life. More importantly, he now has a veritable apostle who will go forth and spread the gospel. That kind of advertising is priceless.

Bubba

Just to add a bit to this... Wilson has long been a standard for Customer Service. But the original poster of this report knows a bit about Customer Service himself. I know of a number of times Will stood behind products when he didn't really have to. But he did it because it was the right thing to do.

So for someone to impress Will, well that says a WHOLE lot right there.

Yes, Wilson DOES cost more than others. But in this case, you really DO get what you pay for.

Thanks for posting this Will.

Bubba

F

freedomlover

I already wanted a Wilson...now I want one even worse! Gotta save my pennies...

freedomlover

Will Fennell

Preachin' Da Gospel!

Buzz,
I've never thought of myself as 'preachy', but the spirit of the 'Wilson Gospel' is running through me! The good people @ WILSON's called me back to confirm options on the rebuild of my gun, .....do you want an alloy grip saftey this time,....20 or 30 lpi checkering,...etc. These folks are thinking of things I haven't thought of yet. They REALLY want your gun to turn out right. Its a pleasure doing business with them. That is why I have a new CQB on order ;)

BTW guys, if you haven't tried a KZ-45 yet, you are missing out on a deal. I shot mine this past weekend in a 3 match series IDPA competition. Man it worked out well. That tapered mag really made Tac-Reloads a breeze. I got the KZ with the optional adjustable tritium sites. They worked out great in the night match, Saturday. We shot 8 stages Saturday, 6 Sat. night, and 6 more Sunday. KZ ran fine without any malf's. The big claw extractor is really confidence inspiring. For $1000, I think its tough to beat.

I'll step down from the pulpit,.....

Thanks for the kind words Bubba.