Why was there such a difference in Recoil between the two M1A's I shot today?

Jamie Young

I shot two M1A rifles today. Both rifles felt the same (trigger pull and such) but the recoil was noticeable different. Is there any kind of "Gas" regulation on the M1A rifles?

3 gun

There's no gas regulation system on a M1a like the one on a FAL. Lots of things can change the feel of recoil. Did both rifles have the same style stocks, made from the same wood? Even if they did the density of the wood could make a difference. Did the actions fit tightly in the stock? Did both have the same type of muzzle break/supressior? Were both rifles clean and properly lubed? Carbon build up on the gas piston can lower the gas chambers volume, causing an increase in op rod force/bolt speed. Maybe one was built closer to minimum +/- spec and the other near max specs.

What sounds like an easy question at first turns into to a maze of possible answers.

JIH

This question seems really familiar.

Anyway, it could be a lot of things. Odds are, it's a difference in mechanical lock-up.

JRiggs

A buttstock cleaning kit makes a noticeable difference in recoil by adding 1/2 pound of weight to the stock. Maybe one of the rifles had one?

Underfunction? I wonder if one gun was so fouled (gas cylinder and gas piston needs scrubbing) that while it operated, it could barely do so.

9mmMike

The "nice one" was a SA9103. That's mine. It has a birch stock.
The "mean one" is Tom's and is a pre-ban put together with TRW parts. It has a walnut stock.
Except for the walnut stock and bayonet lug, it is the same as the SA.
Neither rifle has anything in the stock storage area.
Mike

Jamie Young

I had to have had atleast a 20% sharper recoil. I was all happy I actually hit what I was aiming at with Iron Sights. I've done a lot of shooting with AR's lately and I'm getting better at it.

Kaylee

Hrmm..maybe try turning the gas spindle a touch, so the weapon's not getting the full gas load? Or conversely, perhaps the spindle's already turned a little out of whack, and needs to get turned back full-on?

Honestly, never having fired mine with it off, I'm not certain whether recoil would be worse or better with it "half-off".. I'm guessing worse, like a bolt gun?

-K

Kaylee

yup.. it's that little knobby-screw-looking-thing between the barrel and the gas piston, on the port side.

If the "screw" is lined up vertically, the gas is on. If the line is horizontal, the gas is off (this is for cleaning, and launching rifle grenades). Possible you're halfway.

-K

Peter M. Eick

Simple, one is a supermatch and one was a national match. They make a big difference on the range. The SM is distinctly heavier and tends to push during recoil. The NM is more of a pop. (At least with my guns).

9mmMike

That's a negative on the NM / SM idea. These are both GI chrome-lined barrels.
I will need to check that spindle thingy though. The "mean" rifle does not live here.
Mike

HKguy9

My M1A Scout feels like a 20ga. It has a rubber recoil pad and a CA-legal muzzle brake, which is louder than hell, but it's pretty damn effective.

Maybe the M1A full size rifles, with their metal recoil pad (yeah right!) and flash suppressors kick harder than models with a CA muzzle brake.