why the lack of .45 ACP snubs? (Taurus being all alone)

Pendragon

I really like the idea of a .45 ACP snub to backup my 1911.

Taurus makes a 2" version of the Tracker but it is ported and IMHO, a 2" snubbie with porting is just wrong.

I would consider chopping a 4" Tracker to make a snubbie, but why does S&W and other companied not make such a beasty already?

It just seems so obvious.

charleym3

Well, S&W did make one for a while. I recently picked up a 3" 625. I carry it frequently. Unfortunately the prices of the used ones are now higher than when they were new. Perhaps if we sent letters to S&W they would revive it. There are also smiths around that will cut down a longer barrel to 3 inches.

CZ_

They're not as practical as snubs chambered in revolver cartridges, IMO. I just deteste those moon clips that semi-automatic ammo requires in most DA revolvers. There are already good revolver rounds that can do a good job in a snubby.

Just MO. YMMV

tomthel

Part of the reason is that except for the Taurus is the medium frame revolvers of Ruger and S&W don't have the barrel shank diameter required to take a .45 cal round - .44 is about as big as they can take. Thus, this requires the use of the large frame for a snubby.

Pendragon

A lot of people prefer moon clips to regular revolver loading and unloading - especially in a carry gun.

Certainly there are many excellent revolver cartridges, the .44 special being probably superior to .45 ACP taken alone.

However, if you reload and shoot a lot of .45, then a .45 snub makes sense. I really like the idea of a .44 special snub, but a .45 snub makes more sense for me.

When I get on my feet financially, I will look for a 3" 625 and maybe get a Taurus and have it chopped.

WESHOOT2

GUN-MAKING

Is business; gotta make sound business decisions.
Gotta sell guns; gotta make guns that sell.

45ACP snubs don't sell. Too big.

M1911

Personally, I love the moon clips for 625. It's much faster to reload that gun with moon clips than it is to reload my 19 with a speedloader. Also much less error prone.

I'd say the main reason is that the 625 is based on the N-frame, which is a pretty darn big gun, even with a short barrel.

M1911

CULLENIII

For as long as people shoot people will never despite numerous tests that an auto pistol round is significantly better than a revolver round in a revolver platform. These advantages being as compared to revolver in same platform-- better ballistics because of cartridge efficency and of increase of barrel length--the auto cartridge only takes about half the cylinder thus creating increased barrel length, better extraction---refer to first part--as extractor length is oversized allready for the auto round but doesnt come close to being full length--ie 2in 38 snubs, better and easier loading--two words--moon clips--just throw the thing in there and shoot---plus can carry 2 loaded clips in same size pouch as speedloader.

I would love to see the following;

2in airweight cenntenial in 9mm

2in .45 acp

2in airweight in .40

3in 10mm (can shoot .40 as well)

no porting on any and no titanium---i prefer my arm carpel tunnel free and not barbequed---if ya need porting--get a less powerfull gun

for now i stick with my Ruger sp101 --overweight in 9mm Para but just fine for 9X23 ----and continue my letter writing campaign to Taurus for guns i previously mentioned

Pendragon--if you do end up doin the chop job on the .45 tracker let me know---i might go in on that

Kevinch

Probably because Taurus has their finger on the pulse of what shooters are looking for more than the other big revolver manufacturers. It's a shame they have a somewhat checkered reputation in Customer Service.

otomik

it's a shame taurus ports all their titanium models as a stupid gimmick, though not as light as smiths they fill a good niche since they only use titanium and steel while smiths are willing to use aluminum and anything to get the weight down. which do you think is stronger? titanium steel or steel scandium aluminum?

Snowdog

Taurus makes a 2" version of the Tracker but it is ported and IMHO, a 2" snubbie with porting is just wrong.

Ha!

I knew I couldn't possibly be alone in my assessment of ported snubs.

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
Porting on a snubby has never made sense to me.

A 5 shot all steel 45 acp revolver might not make sense to you, but I think one would be really cool.