WHY the heavy KAHRs????

briang2ad

I just bought a PM9 and really like it. Just not long ago, I thought "who wants a Kahr - they look kinda lame, have low capacity, and have a dao trigger - blah!". Now I know what a great, light PM9 is good for - carry - and I actually like the trigger.

How in the world did Kahrs get popular when they were heavy? I know they are high quality, etc., but you could also buy a Hi Power, or 1911 with nice SA triggers. Why the 'heavy' metal kahrs?? Were they all revolver guys who wanted a semi-auto???

IdahoG36

When the original K9 was introduced, it was approximately the same size and weight of the Walther PPK, but in 9mm.
Also, when Kahr was introduced, the AWB was in effect, so high capacity mags weren't an issue.
Kahr makes great CCW pistols, and as more and more state allow concealed carry, they have continued to increase in popularity. I have a PM9 and a P45, and love both of them. My P45 is my daily carry gun. 7 rounds of .45acp in such a small, lightweight package makes it ideal for all day carry.
I am normally not a fan of DAO, but Kahr's trigger is very smooth all the way through. It is one of the best DAO triggers out there IMO.

David the Gnome

When Kahr introduced the K-Series pistols pretty much all the competition made large metal-framed semi-autos. It's kind of like asking why the original Ford Mustang was successful despite being slow and heavy by today's standards, it's because back then it was faster and lighter than the competition.

PSP

Fifteen years ago there weren't very many other guns available that had as flat a profile as the Kahr K9. Many have appeared since, but it was very innovative in being mainly built for the Civilian concealed carry market. Besides... it's a great gun. The largest Kahr, the "T" series are comparable to the very popular Hk P7, in size, weight, capacity, ease of use and accuracy, (and that is high praise). Polymer has only made them all the more popular with the civilian ccw users.

Besides all that, they are attractive and well made.
Currentpistols020.jpg

newkahrwoodgrips004.jpg

Last edited:

Coltman 77

Not true at all PSP. There were plenty of handguns that met the criteria.

Don't forget the S&W products available then.

I bought two of them in the early 90's -- a LadySmith for my wife (3914) and a 3913 for me.

This was long before Kahr was even a glimmer in the eye of Reverend Sun Myung Moon or his son.

BillCA

The Kahr K-series two best attributes were it's beautifully smooth DAO trigger and the weight. Now, we can all understand a good trigger and Kahr's triggers felt like a perfect revolver trigger... almost like it pivoted on roller bearings.

The weight tamed the recoil of the 9mm & .40 S&W rounds well. That meant fast and accurate follow up shots were easier. A good consistent (if a tad long) trigger and controllable in rapid fire.

Plus, in extremis, it makes a wonderful sap. The limited ammo supply was not an issue for most buyers. Most buyers worried about 1-on-1 encounters, not a running firefight with a gang.

hoytinak

I actually traded my light P9 for a heavy K9 and I don't regret it one bit. I like the lighter recoil on the K9 and the weight doesn't really bother me. I carry it everyday and with a good IWB holster with a good belt I really don't notice the weight difference when carrying it.

PSP

...a LadySmith for my wife (3914) and a 3913 for me.

These are also good examples of what I'd call a dedicated "civilian" CCW. I have a nice S&W 908 myself. One can assume Kahr borrowed the theme of the Ladysmith when they introduced there own version, the Lady Kahr K9, (no longer in production).

Kahrs real innovation, IMHO, is to produce what is basically the same gun, but of two different materials, (steel and polymer), in three different sizes, (M, K and T), and various calibers.

Kahrs bear many similarities with Glocks too. Nothing wrong with using what works.

The fact is, my ideal CCW would have the slimness of a Kahr, the trigger and hammer of the S&W and the quality and reliability of an Hk. :cool: Makes me salivate thinking about it.

briang2ad

PSP - yes - and add a manual safety.

I DO think that the Kahr has an advantage over the old Smith - I'm not sure I'd like the DA/SA. On he PM9, the size and HOW you carry it are good for the long DA pull. Never thought I'd think so, but...

denfoote

MK9.jpg

Here is my old MK9 Elite 98.
I've had it for about 10 years.
I've had the ejector replaced due to an unfortunate encounter with Wolf steel cased ammo.
I've put in 2 recoil spring assemblies.
It keeps on chugging.

Carry_Rig.jpg

Here's my carry rig. Mostly, I carry it in the front pocket in a DeDantis Nemesis. I also carry in a DeSantis #2 pancake holster.

As for weight, a decent gun belt works wonders. ;)

smince

My wife is recoil sensitive and likes the heavier Kahr because it shoots mild.

I've shot much Wolf through ours with zero trouble.

BerettaBuckeye

Maybe because some people don't like plastic guns? Some of us actually enjoy a quality steel and wood gun....like my original K9.

That being said, I mostly carry my plastic PM45:D

Not everyone is looking for small, light and concealable. Guns meeting that criteria are hard to shoot well, particularly for the new shooters who are buying them as their first (and all too often, only) gun.

I actually find the steel Kahrs to be good shooters. The DAO trigger is quite smooth and predictable, and they soak up recoil well.

EdInk

I carried (and still have) an MK9. It's compact, has a great DOA trigger (I hate manual safeties), accurate and reliable. Also, it has thin profile that is comfortable and doesn't "print" under a T-shirt. Recoil is a non-existing issue with the still frame models. I know have a CW9 (ALMOST as nice as the P series but alot cheaper) that I prefer to carry because of weight BUT my mother AND fiancé prefer the old MK9 because of the recoil issue and the appearance.

At the time, it came out the MK9 was about the only gun in it's class. Other small guns were much thicker (G26), SAO (3" 1911s), revolvers (M60) or smaller caliber (PPK).

Kahr makes great innovative guns that perform well and are American made. My only gripe about them is that they charge about $100 extra for a black finish. (So, I deal with the gray finish because I won't pay extra for a feature that's a vanity thing to me.)

You will not be disappointed with a Kahr pistol with metal or polymer frame. I like 9mm in their guns, especially the <1lb models. Some have problems with the larger calibers (especially .45acp) because of recoil or FTF/FTE problems (usually because of limpwristing from what I've seen.)

Give the gun (at least) the 200rd break-in period suggested by the manufacturer for proper reliablity. Also, it seems they prefer to be kept clean to maintain good accuracy. (After about 400rds, the accuracy is very diminished considerably, YMMV.)

Jimmy10mm

I've got the P9 and have gone through the 200 round break in + without the first malfunction. Since I am rarely satisfied with what I have I am planning on a Kahr in 40 but am torn between the all steel or the poly/steel. The guy at the shop says the poly/steel in 40 is not fun to shoot.

I cut my teeth on 44 mag and what have you over the past 40 years as a shooter and to me the 9mm in the poly/steel is quite manageable but I'm not sure how I would like the 40 in the lighter pistol. I'll probably go for the all steel on the 40 when I eventually do get it. Still undecided on the 3.6 bbl or the 3" as well. With my 9 I'm glad I got the P rather than the PM.