Why the difference?

63Belair

As many of you know, there are many different gauges that shotguns come in. Here's my question:

Why do 20 gauge shells cost more than 12?

.410 and 28 cost more, but this makes sense (to me at least). These gauges are less popular (I'm not saying better/worse I dont want this to become one of those threads) so it makes sense that there are lower production runs for those ammos, resulting in a higher price/unit.

But as far as 12 and 20 gauges, if I had to guess there are more 12 gauge consumers out there, but there are also a bunch of 20 gauge guys as well.

20 gauge shells would also be cheaper, in theory, to produce, because they are made out of the same materials as 12 gauge shells, theres just less to them.

So why the price differnece?

Thanks

Diggers

I'm interested in getting a 20 gauge. How much more is a box of target loads in 20 vs. the same in 12? And I second the "why?"
I'm already dropping enough $ to shoot my .44, I don't need to start doing it with a shotgun too. :)

utaherrn

Wallyworld 100 round cartons of Federal and Winchester are the same price (+/- $15) in 12 and 20. They're all I use for clay birds. I've never noticed a difference in hunting load prices either. I'll have to pay more attention to see if there is a difference around here.

Ruger4570

Most of the places I have looked the 12 and 20 sell for just about the same price. 16, 28 and 410 are the ones that take the price jump by 50% or more. Another good reason to be reloading!!

dakotashooter2

While the gap in production runs isn't as great as with other shells I think that is still part of the answer. Another part may be that the difference in (wholesale) component parts only amounts to a couple of pennies, if that, per round. At handloader prices the difference in 1/8 oz of lead is about .005, a 10 gr difference in powder would be .025, wads maybe .004, primers are even. So about .035 per round or .75 a box and you can probably cut that in half for factory loads. Other than target and economy field loads most 20 ga shells run about $1.00 cheaper than 12 ga. except in small towns.

Diggers

Went to wallys today and saw that 100 round box of 7 1/2 mentioned above. For targets and upland hunting.(said so on the box ;) ) It made me smile, and happy that the 12 and 20s were the same price.
But I did see some boxes of 20 gauge of other stuff that were more than the 12s but could not figure out why. :confused:
But that was nothing compared to the price jump up to .410. What must hurt even more is that its more than twice as much $ as a box of 12 gauge and .410s come in a little bitty box.
It just seems wrong.

essexcounty

Unfourtunely. it's a 12 guage world out there. Most of my shotgunning involves pot shooting at grouse from my Jeep. (yes I have a permit). I use a couple of single shot 28's and an old Mossberg .410 bolt. I realize I pay a premium for my ammo, but in the quantities I use it's not consquential. I'm not involved in sporting clay's and gave up trap years ago or I would rethink things. I also think a well balanced 16 gauge is the answer to a very real question..........Essex

jonathon

100 rounds of Winchester 7 1/2 in either 12 or 20 gauge only runs $12! Thats in the 25 round boxes, now.. the 100 round box is $14, kind of wierd to be honest.

K80Geoff

Besides the cheapie Wally World 100 Value Packs, Gander Mountain sells 100 round packs of the Winchester promo loads for the same price as 12 GA.

And Rem and Winchester target loads sell for the same in 20Ga as 12Ga.

Only in the less popular hunting loads can you find a difference.

Now if 28 GA were more popular.... :p