Why the 300 Savage for the 6.5 Creed?

tahoe2

Cause everything has already been done with the 06, and 08 cases and they wanted an inefficient powder burn with less overbore for the smaller bore

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

taylorce1

Well you already have a 6.5-06 A-Square and .260 Remington so those were already taken. Both of those cartridges work great in bolt action rifles. The 6.5 Creedmoor was designed specifically to be used in AR10 magazines where the .260 gets a little to long with the high BC bullets the 6.5 caliber has. It was about designing a cartridge for a particular platform that was efficient and well balanced in performance.

Scorch

I keep telling you guys, the parent case for the 6.5 Creedmore is the 30 TC! Not the 300 Savage, not the 308, not 30-06!

hooligan1

The parent case couldve easily been the .243 win.
Im using .243 (think trimming) to make Creedmoor brass, its easy after trimming to 1.910 then I run through my Creedmoor die and Bam!
It really does a nice job, havent had any functioning, or case fatigue signs at all...

Back in the early 1990s when I was on staff at American Rifleman I covered several silhouette championships.

A number of people were using early versions 6.5 Creedmoor-type cartridges, and virtually all of them were forming cases from .300 Savage because they didn't have to do nearly as much trimming.

Several others were also experimenting with 6mm versions.

Somewhere in my cartridge collection I have rounds that I collected from them.

603Country

I've read that the 6.5 Creedmore parent case is the 30TC and I've also read that the 6.5CM is actually the 6.5-250 Savage Ackley Improved. the right answer is probably that they used the 30TC case, but that it's essentially the same as the 250 Savage AI and/or the 22-250 Savage AI, which far predate the 30TC.

Not that it matters, except for discussion or argument.

tobnpr

And not the venerabler 06 as a parent case? Dimensionally they are pretty similar. Just curious

You lost me right there...
As "dimensionally similar" as oranges and bananas.

The .06 is a long-action case, measuring 2.494"

The 6.5 Creed is a short action design, measuring 1.92".

Where's the similarity?

HiBC

Regardless which case was used,the OP seems to wonder why the smaller case was used,versus the 30-06,which,because its bigger,must be "better"
Wasn't this a David Tubbs creation?
Mr Tubbs is a very successful shooter.He can have his own ideas about "better"

As I understand it,among his criteria,is the cartridge work in a 2.800 length magazine.
The long,high BC 6.5 bullets were the choice.

The case has to be short enough that the long skinny VLD ogive does not go into the case neck when the bullet is seated to 2.800

There is a 6.5 x308 called the 260 Rem. It does not make it that way.

I assume Mr Tubbs also wanted the following: For 1000 yd shooting,we just do not get "flat" trajectory. Folks use adjustable sights.
So long as velocity remains supersonic at 1000 yds for bullet stability,velocity is "enough"

More power = more recoil. Shooter fatigue. Folks shoot lighter kicking guns better.Especially for a lot of shots.

More powder=less barrel life. A 6.5 Creed barrel will far outlast a 6.5-06 barrel.

I assume the smaller bottle will have a more efficient, consistent ignition and burn,which means accuracy.

Disclaimer,I don't shoot competitively,and I don't own a 6.5 Creed.

Now,I'll reverse the question. For top level 1000 yd match shooting,why would you prefer the 30-06 case?

Note:If you look at the case dimensions 300 Savage vs 308,the head to shoulder dim is nearly identical.Which means,not a lot of difference in case capacity.Ths shoulder is steeper and the neck shorter on the 300 Savage.

For military use,a more sloped shoulder and longer neck are advantage,particularly in autoloaders.

Last edited:

tobnpr

I assume the smaller bottle will have a more efficient, consistent ignition and burn,which means accuracy.

This is the reasoning behind the newly introduced brass by Lapua for the 6.5 Creed.

Many shooters had been "holding off" on the this chambering and favoring the .260 (they're a "draw") to see if this chambering was going to be around for the long term.

Lapua's entry puts that concern to rest- and their brass takes small rifle primers....used to be the .260 got the nod for handloaders, and 6.5 Creed for factory ammo shooters; Lapua has tipped the scale the other way.

Rifletom

Scorch has it correct. Based from the 30TC and loosely based from the .308. How do I know this? Why, I read it in the Hornady manual #8. Until I read this, I didn't know that a couple of Hornady ballistic guys came up with the 6.5 Creedmore. Interesting stuff.
tobnpr, thanks for that last post. That is good info right there. Thanks.

Jim Watson

Well, they all go back to the 1888 8x57 for the only dimension that matters, head diameter. If you had the right dies, you could make 6.5 CM out of any of them.

And the 6mm Creedmoor is newer and better anyhow.

oldscot3

In a related vein, but slightly off topic... some may know that Starline has been expanding its rifle case offerings. They emailed me a notice that they now have 6.5 Creedmoor available.

HiBC

I received the same e-mail.Large rifle primer first,with a small rifle version coming later.