Why shorten the slide but not the grip?

IZinterrogator

I just can't figure it out. The hard part of a CCW to conceal is the grip, not the barrel. With a good IWB, the barrel disappears. Yet in the 1911 CCW arena, Commander-size weapons (4.25" barrel with full-size grip) and Officers' models (3.5" with compact grip) are the norm and few Concealed Carry Officer models (4.25" barrel with compact grip) are available. The CCO models are also usually priced much more than their Commander and Officer counterparts. In the DA/SA arena, Sig discontinued the P245 (3.9" barrel with compact grip) in favor of the P220 Carry (3.9" barrel with full-size grip). Am I missing something here? An old poll I saw on packing.org this morning showed most CCW holders there carried on their belt in some fashion that held the gun vertically (either IWB or OWB), which necessitates a shorter grip to hide under a cover garment. I carry a Colt Gunsite CCO 1911 daily that regularly hides under only a T-shirt due to the short grip. Anything longer in the grip department would cause me to rethink my CCW wardrobe. So why don't gun manufacturers make more CCO-sized weapons? The current ones are expensive because they have come standard with all the bells and whistles, the previous model Colt CCO was discontinued, and other gun makers are either lengthing the grip (Sig) or the grip shrinks in proportion with the barrel (Glock, XD). Would a Glock 19 barrel on a Glock 26 frame be too much to ask? Or a 4" barrel on an XD subcompact frame? I've seen the Glock 19/26 model in a gun mag article. It was a custom job by a gunsmith that could be easily done at the factory in the first place.

Personally, I think the P245 and the original Colt CCO were killed because they were virtually unknown. I never saw any ads for them in the gun magazines and I only saw two articles on the CCO and none on the P245. They could have gotten a lot of sales if they had pushed their attributes towards the CCW holder crowd. As it was, the first time I heard of the P245 was when I saw one at a local gun shop after returning from Iraq. I picked it up on the spot because of its barrel to grip ratio. No one else was buying because they had never heard of them in ads and the gun shop dealers weren't pushing them, instead concentrating on selling the flavor of the week. My first Colt CCO sat on the shelf at another local gun shop for a year before I had saved up enough to go buy it. Why weren't these weapons pushed more by their companies?

IZinterrogator

High capacity is a feature marketed to bad shots. ;)

My CCO, which is my daily carry, holds 7+1 when I use Wilson Combat Officer mags, same capacity as JMB gave the original 1911.

Greg Bell

A too-short grip leads to pinky hang, which often leads to inaccurate or at least uncomfortable shooting, especially in heavier calibers. It is much harder to consistently control a handgun during recoil if you can't get a full grip on it. I have medium sized paws and the 245 was always awkward--especially since my finger just barely rested at the bottom of the grip.

As far as capacity being solely the concern of poor shooter, BS. I guess you just need a Derringer. For serious firearms, you want to maximize capacity. Frankly, the difference between the full size 220 and the 245 grip, not to mention the ergonomic drawbacks, is not worth the cost of 2 rounds. Clearly, the market agreed because SIG isn't bothering to market the 245 anymore.

Renfield

High capacity is a feature marketed to bad shots.

some of us just like to shoot more and reload less often ;) my highest capacity firearm is a loud and proud Hi Power with it's awe inspiring :)rolleyes: ) 13 round magazine capacity

TexasCop

I like my slides shortened, 1911 Champion, and Beretta Centurions, but I like the full grip frame. I'm 5.10 210 so I don't have any problem concealing the grip, the reason I like the short slide is because I don't carry IWB, I carry OWB. and it means my shirts don't have to be as long.

TexasCop

I like my slides shortened, 1911 Champion, and Beretta Centurions, but I like the full grip frame. I'm 5.10 210 so I don't have any problem concealing the grip, the reason I like the short slide is because I don't carry IWB, I carry OWB. and it means my shirts don't have to be as long.

TexasCop

I like the short slides because I carry OWB instead of IWB. The grip frames aren't difficult for me to conceal at 3 o'clock with a SA Champion or Beretta Centurion. Even my Glocks dont print, I'm 5'10 210

TexasCop

I like the short slides because I carry OWB instead of IWB. The grip frames aren't difficult for me to conceal at 3 o'clock with a SA Champion or Beretta Centurion. Even my Glocks dont print, I'm 5'10 210

JR47

The 1911, in particular, is a very narrow weapon. Proper holsters take advantage of that, and tuck the weapon into you. This has the effect of pretty much hiding the weapon. The one thing that it doesn't prevent, however, is that 5" barrel/slide combo sticking down. IWB holsters can still print the barrel quite easily in today's fashions, and other holsters can leave the barrel/slide peeking out from under many jackets, etc.. The shorter slide/barrel helps to control this.:)

glockopop

I'm gonna have to agree with the original poster on this one. It seems to me that the CCO setup especially in a 1911 is about as close to perfect for concealment as you can get. In addition to the greater concealability with a short grip, it should also be noted that 1911s with much shorter barrels supposedly tend to be finicky about ammo and not entirely reliable.

44 AMP

Staff
Why short slide and not grip?

Maybe because it is cheaper? Shorten slide, barrel, maybe a new spring, done.

Shorten the butt, and you need a new frame, grips, & magazines, a larger investment, I would think.

SIGLOCKAUR

The whole 220 Carry makes no sense to me either. As pointed out by others the length of the grip is what causes a gun to print. The 245 caused some folks problems because of it's short grip. Why no one came out with a grip extension like for the Kahrs and Glocks I'll never know.If Sig would have just added another round and maybe a little longer grip they would of had it perfect. Instead the shorten the barrel length on a 220 which only shortens your sight length and hurts ballistics and put on a big honker grip. Look they already have a better solution if you want such a set-up. When it was annonouced they were coming out with a grip extension it turns out it's a 220 magazine with a large plastic grip extension. So if you want versatility buy a 245. If you want the extra rounds and grip length of the 220 slap in one of the extended mags. If not keep the short one in for concealed carry and use the longer as a back-up mag. That's what works for me. So I've got more options with my 245. If I'm stuck with a 220 grip, I'll deal with the 220's length.
As far as 1911's go my SA LW Compact with the 4" barrel and the officers frame is about ideal. Lots of people pick the Commander sized guns not so much for the slightly enhanced ability to carry. Lots (myself included) Iof us like the feel of the Commander sized guns better than the full sized guns. The balance just seems better.