Why revolvers dont swing out to the right

Carbon_15

I was practiving my speed reload procedure (dummy ammo ofcource) and was thinking how much easier it would be for a right handed person if the cylinder swung out to the right. My quick reload process as of now is: activate release with right thumb, cradle the frame in left hand, push cylinder out with left index and middle finger, let go with right hand and reach for cart.s or speed loader, point barrel skyward and sharply press the ejector rod with left thumb in one quick motion, point barrel down at about a 45degreeand angle rear slightly to the right, insert ammo, close cylinder with left thumb and index/middle fingers.

it would be so much easier and less fumble prone if the cylinder swung to the right and the release was on the left. hit the release, pop the cylinder with your left thumb and index finger, dump the ejector rod with your left index finger reaching past the cylinder and load with your right hand from the right side..no reaching across the grips.

Is there a specific reason for the left side swing out? Single actions got it right and put the loading gate on the right side.

swampgator

In my warped little mind I think that the standard way revolvers are made is best. The method you describe to me seems too complicated, plus would require too much retraining.

The reason most single action revolver load in the manner you described is that Sam Colt was left handed. So given that reasoning if he had've been right handed single action revolvers would probably open just like double actions.

Of course I'm probably wrong, so if your method works for you, keep on it.

C.R.Sam

There have been two or three manufacturers that made revolvers that swing to the right. Can't think of a one of em right now. The two that I have seen had the release on the right side and looked better suited to left handers.

I shoot either handed and find reloading of modern swing out revolvers is faster right handed for me.

Sam

My guess?

Most people shoot revolvers right-handed, meaning that's their strong hand. Keeping the revolver in the strong hand during reloading allows for faster return to shooting after a reload.

I'm left handed for most things, but am pretty ambidextrous. The left swing cylinder works great for me.

I activate the release with my right thumb and tip the cylinder and then brace it with my index finger through the crane while I'm grabbing for a speedloader with my left hand. I strike the ejector rod with the heel of my left hand, rotate the muzzle down, reload, and slap the cylinder home with my left hand.

Very little repositioning of the right hand is needed.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
The reason most single action revolver load in the manner you described is that Sam Colt was left handed.

I always though it was because they were designed for U.S. cavalry troopers back in the early 1870's. A cavalry soldier's right hand was expected to be occupied with sabers, reins, lances, spyglasses and whatnot, so the pistol was designed to be fired from the left hand.

Of course, I've also heard that both this explanation and the one about Mr. Colt being a southpaw were both myths of gundom. Perhaps someone knows the truth behind the placement of the loading gate on the SAA?

Mike Irwin?

C.R. Sam?

Apeach

Because the vast majority of the people are righties, and for them to reload with a chamber that swings to the right, they'd have to either put the gun in their left hand or reach across the gun to reload, which would both take longer. Now, I don't own a revolver, but this is all just an educated guess here.

C.R.Sam

Tamara....me not old enough to remember Cavalry with single action but have been with a lot of later Mounted Army. 1911 carried on right side. 1911 safety set up for right handed work. Sabre also right handed. Cross draw sabre. Either sabre or hand gun, not both at the same time. Reins mostly held in left hand.

I grew up in Mounted army.

Sam....McClellen saddles more comfortable than they look.

riverdog

While reloading the revolver the issue is control of the cylinder to speed the cartridge dump and to hold it steady for a speedloader. I use the left ring finger, middle finger and thumb to grip the cylinder, leaving the index and pinky to support the frame. The left hand is best for holding the cylinder (a gross motor skill) leaving the right hand free to use the speed loader which requires a little more dexterity. Vertical to dump, gravity help and it helps keep unburned powder in the spent cartridge rather than getting into the works. The rotate down to a comfortable angle to use the speedloader. When the cylinder is closed, the left is still holding the revolver at the cylinder while the right can reposition on the grip, putting both hands in position for a two hand grip.

That's how I do it. I don't see how swinging the cylinder out to the right could possibly help a right handed shooter -- IMO, YMMV and all that.

I really don't believe Sam Colt designed the SAA for lefties. Again the idea is for the weak hand to hold the cylinder and dump cases while the right feeds in new rounds. I'd need to watch a southpaw reload a SA revo but my intuition thinks that holding the gun in the right hand while feeding with the left would be more clumsy. Again, I'm sure southpaw techniques vary greatly from right hand shooters and I'd need to see it done.

Hal

SAA right side.
My guess would be that it's a carryover from the cap and ball days. My 1851 Navy has the cutout(s) on the right side, which makes it easier for me,,a right hander,,to put a cap on the nipples and to a lesser degree, to seat a ball. The trigger/bolt spring, and the hand, are also setup to allow for the opening to be on the right side. My guess would be that since most people are right handed, it would be more popular to design them that way and the design just carried down to the SAA.

D/A cylinder swing out? No idea why. If I had to guess, I'd say it had something to do with why the sideplate is on the right?.?

PugetSound5

Slitghtly unrelated question...

Well, it's about cylinders anyway :) : what is the direction of rotation of the cylinders on Rugers and Taurus revolvers? Clockwise, counter-clockwise?

PS5

Sam Colt died in, I believe, 1862, about 5 years before design work on the 1873 began.

It's doubtful that he came back from the grave to design the revolver. :)

VictorLouis

As do Smiths, that's correct. Colts, DWs and maybe even Charco/Charters turn CW. They also have their sideplated on the left side of the gun(where applicable).

John Marshall

Sam - "McClellen saddles more comfortable than they look." And that ain't sayin' much. :D I've been on one of those damn things myself.

Marauder

The theory is that you maintain a shooting grip while reloading hence the cylinder swings left. I don't do it that way, but that's the theory.

As to single actions, there was (and maybe still is) a company in Texas that made mirror image colts, claiming they were better for right handers. They aren't. Reloading a single action is a fairly complicated set of motions, much more so than a DA. I find getting the gun into my weak hand so I can do all the complex stuff with my strong hand much more sensible. I think the designers at Colt got it right back in the 1800's. With C&B revolvers, fumbling percussion caps onto the nipples is not a job I can do left handed.