Why Only Winchester 12 gauges?

Waterengineer

Does anyone know or understand why Winchester only makes 12 gauge? It seems like they are missing a lot of market by not making sub-gauge guns.

The argument can probably be made, now they are part of Browning, Browning has the sub-guage market. However, historically, OK for 20 years or so, Winchester has make 12 guage only. Seems kind of weird to me.

zippy13

Perhaps, with the popularity of tube sets, the sub-gun O/U market is shrinking. I can't remember the last time one of my comp shooting buddies got anything new other than a 12-gauge. And, I've not seen a new four barrel set in many years.

Ricky B

They're picking the low-hanging fruit by making a product for the market with the most buyers. Browning and Winchester are under common ownership, and if a buyer wants a 20 ga., he can buy the Browning.

So they just don't make them any more?
I have a 20ga Winchester (model 1300, i think).
It was just given to me by a friend of the family last year. Haven't shot it yet, though, but it's mint. Doesn't look too old at all.

Remember, Winchester has gone through a LOT of turmoil in the last couple of years. It might be a result of that.

But, it could also be that Winchester simply didn't see the financial viability of maintaining production of 20, 16, and 410.