Why oh Why do I want this?

Rothdel

Saw this in guns of the old west and fell stupidly madly in love. Not sure why.

http://ifg-na.com/

Can't think of much practical purpose for this thing other than range fun but thats good enough for me. Any one seen one of these in the wild yet?

vba

You want it because it looks frigging cool and just plain fun. And I would not want to be in front of it.

I've personally have not seen one up close.

Blindstitch

Someone use to make a gun like that but it was in 12 gauge. There's a video of it on Youtube on the Forgotten Weapons Channel.

MarkCO

Actually, an older guy came in to my FFLs shop the other day with an Iver Johnson .410 break open (single barrel) that looked similar with a leather holster. He had a 1960s Form 1 with it as well. Guy was terminally ill and wanted to get rid of it.

Targa

I agree with the because it looks cool and fun. Most of my firearm purchases, 90% of them, were picked up for those reasons....especially the fun reason.

Bill DeShivs

These were loosely based on the Ithaca Auto & Burglar gun- a 20 ga. double pistol made before the National Firearms act of 1934.
The IFA is a rifled .45/.410 version which is simply classified as a pistol.
They are neat guns, but retail pricing is $1400. I might have bought one if I had not just finished my version in 20 ga. Doing the work myself, plus the $200 tax, still kept me well below the $1000 mark, and it's a "real" shotgun.

JWT

One nice looking gun. But certainly not inexpensive. I'm certainly tempted, but not at the price they want.

50 shooter

Impractical, yes.

Expensive, probably.

More fun then a t.u.r.d that won't flush, hell yeah!

I want one in 10ga if we're putting it on our wish list.

Pahoo

You have good taste

Because they are a work of art and you have a good eye and perhaps expensive tastes. The Howdahs have a fascinating history. Might wans to look into it. I Currently own a 20X20 muzzle loading Pedersoli’s Howdah. It always draws attention at the range. It's great fun to shoot. I wish I has a .50/20 or even this 45/410, as I would shoot it more often. All Pedersoli's are well. I'm not up on this one but will certainly look into the price. ..... :D

Thanks for your post and;
Be Safe !!!

44 AMP

Staff
That thing is as worthless as teats on a boar hog.

I haven't seen a retail price yet, but I'm confident that it won't be "worthless".

I've got a Contender .45 Colt/.410, and it is definitely a fun, and occasionally useful gun, a great rat wrecker, and I think a double barrel with classic looks would be even more fun.

What I, personally, don't find a use for is the large "stretched snubnose" .45/.410 revolvers like the Judge.

I wonder if the production Howdahs will actually have, or have as an option an actual front sight, rather than a bead.

Looks like I need to start saving my quarters...(because I don't think I have enough years left if I just save pennies....;))

HiBC

To the person who wants one in 10 ga,good luck with that! Someone gave me a basket case 10 ga single bbl.H=R or Iver? Anyway,bbl was 24 in,no weight in the stock.Top break lever,original pistol grip(as opposed to straight) stock.

First time I shot it,the break lever penetrated a significant distance into the web of my hand.
I built up an Accraglas gel ramp behind the lever to fix that.

I was shooting a 416 Rem mag that day,too. Recoi was comparable.A Howdah would be lighter,with no buttstock.Not me!

My understanding(could be wrong) a"howdah" is a platform on an elephant (India) .Its where you ride when Tiger hunting. Should a tiger decide to join you in the howdah,the howdah gun was to discourage him.

A Howdah gun played a prominent role in the movie "Ghosts of the Darkness"
About the Tsavo lions

Bill DeShivs

As I said earlier- the retail price on the Howhah is right at $1400.

Here is a real howdah pistol in 20 gauge.

Last edited:

xcc_rider

Because it's cool and James Caan carried one like it in the move El Dorado staring John Wayne.
And you know if it was in a John Wayne movie it had to be cool!