Why not

I think I'm traumatized from reading that the survivors of illegal aliens who died in their attempt to cross the desert are now seeking to redress this in the courts. $41 mil for the U.S. failure to establish water supplies at illegal crossing areas is shocking. I must get an attorney to sue the gubmint since I'll never look at a glass of water in the same light.

TheBluesMan

Moderator Emeritus
Families of 11 dead illegals to sue U.S.
Steve Miller
THE WASHINGTON TIMES
Published 5/11/2002

The families of 11 immigrants who died illegally crossing into Arizona from Mexico have filed a $41 million claim against two federal agencies, saying the government's refusal to put water out in the desert contributed to the migrants' deaths.

The action filed against the Department of Interior and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service asks for $3.75 million for each of the deceased, whose bodies were found last year in the Cabeza Prieta National Wildlife Refuge between Tucson and Yuma.

Attorneys for survivors of the deceased said that U.S. Border Patrol policies had shut down more populous portions of the Arizona border and forced illegal aliens to enter through more remote areas.

"What these agencies knew - or should have known - is that by doing this, and with a history of deaths in the desert, these people would cross in these dangerous areas," said A. James Clark, one of the two Yuma lawyers filing the claim. "It would have cost the government nothing to put water stations in, as it had done in other locations."

The claim says the agencies rejected a request made shortly before the deaths by the Tucson humanitarian group Humane Borders to place 60-gallon water stations in the refuge, as it has done in other parts of the desert.

"The agency was on notice that death or serious injury would likely occur," the claim states. "The denial of the agency was based upon concern over animal habitat, which outweighed human life. This decision ran contrary to the stated mission objective of the agency, which is to protect human life on its property."

The claim, which must show the existence of injury and ask for damages, is the first step to a lawsuit under federal law. If unanswered within 180 days, the claim can then become a lawsuit.

A spokesman for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Albuquerque, N.M., which oversees the refuge, acknowledged that his agency received the request for water stations last year.

"But of those places they requested to place water stations, none of them would have helped the poor people who perished there," said spokesman Tom Bauer. "In fact, the closest proposed water area for a water station was 12 miles and two mountain ranges away from where the migrants were found dead."

He added that the smugglers who were leading illegal immigrants through the more remote areas were "duping" their clients.

Several unmarked watering holes established by the government, supplied by 10,000-gallon tanks, are placed around the refuge, part of an effort to maintain the Sonoran pronghorn antelope, an endangered species.

"It is criminal that these smugglers are taking people on to that range," said Mr. Bauer, who added that 30-foot poles have been erected at some of the water holes on the refuge.

"The water has been out there for several years," Mr. Bauer. "Our idea is to mark where the water holes are as a humane gesture."

Fourteen persons died in May 2001 when smugglers led the immigrants into an area of the refuge known as the "Devil's Path" near the Mexican border.

The refuge is an 860,000-acre expanse with the closest major highway - Interstate 8 - 300 miles north of the border. Cabeza Prieta abuts a military range and offers little shade. Signs warn visitors that ground temperatures in summer can exceed 130 degrees.

In the past three years, the Immigration and Naturalization Service estimates that more than 1,000 migrants have died of various causes trying to cross into the United States.

One of the smugglers for the deceased named in the claim, Jose Lopez-Ramos, received a 16-year sentence for his role in the deaths earlier this year.

Lopez-Ramos was one of three guides working for a smuggling ring that led a group of about 30 illegal immigrants from Sonoita, Mexico, into the United States on May 19.

Each immigrant paid the smugglers $1,400 for the illegal crossing. They were told the trip would take two days and that they would walk at night to avoid detection and the searing desert sun.

The group got lost and ran out of water during the second day, Lopez-Ramos told authorities. One guide and three immigrants turned back and returned to Mexico.

:barf:

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Okay, so...

...that's about the dumbest thing I've heard all week (so far, that is; it's only Saturday afternoon...).

Jim V

Perhaps they will want catering trucks to drive back and forth across the possible routes so the illegals can get fed too.

To the families of the deceased. TOUGH.

ZekeLuvs1911

Awwwww Christ in heaven!!! ***??????? Stupid (&@$#@$@#@%R%$#%$@^#^^$^$^@$#^##^%%)(_()_**)%^$#@&*Y&%!!!
There.....rant off!!!!

Karanas

After we finish putting up those water stations in the desert so those illegal Mexican immigrants won't perish from thirst, we can start building bridges to Cuba and Haiti so those folks won't have to take any unnecessary risks crossing those shark infested waters on inner tubes.
In fact, why don't we simply subsidize the ailing airline industry and start flying anybody who wants to come here from anywhere for free!
And let them all fly first class. Let's show the rest of the world that we really do have more money than brains.

Dave T

Those of you who are offended by this should try living near the Mexican border and putting up with this stuff constantly. Some examples:

Ranchers have property and livestock distroyed and land trashed by illegal aliens. If they take any action they are not only villified in the media (can you say liberal press), they are threatened with legal action by County Attorneys (particularly if they are Democrats) and in some cases sued by the Mexican Government.

Local hospitals are going bankrupt because illegal aliens get picked up in the desert, or in traffic accidents (like 25 people in a van that rolls over) and must be cared for by Federal law, while the Federal Government will not reimburse the cost of that care. Several ERs have threatened closure in Southern Arizona if they don't find additional funding (and they are looking at our pockets, not yours).

Last year (maybe a little longer) there were a couple incidents in SE Arizona were several "hundred" illegal aliens rushed across the border at the same time. The Border Patrol was so outnumbered they just stood and watched. If they shoot they get sued or prosecuted.

A wild fire that burned some 30,000 acres just this past April and destroyed several homes, outbuildings and untold wildlife, was probably started by illegal aliens. Cost to fight the fire was in the millions. Governor of Arizona authorized a couple million from emergency funds to help defray costs. That comes out of our pockets but this is a national (Federal) problem.

And so it goes.

gryphon

OK, so they new they had to cross the desert, so why would you not bring your own food and water with you?

They deserved to die. If you do something that stupid, nature was calling you to take the big dirt nap.

The court should throw this thing right out. I thought that asking the courts to mediate an illegal activity was a no no. Since they are not/were not US citizens at the time of the offense, why would the US courts have any jurisdiction over this anyway?

LostOneToo

Just when you think things can't get an dumber, something like this happens!!! Why don't we just send all those julios that want to come to the US one-way 1st class tickets so that they won't suffer hardships trying to break the law!!!

I not only would not put water stations out, I'd plant friggin' land mines...

The sad part is the $$$ that will be wasted in court fighting such frivilous lawsuits. If I were the judge, I'd not only throw it out, I'd chew the lawyer that brought up such a case a new a____le.

America will not be defeated by a great army or terrorists, it will fall because we let such stupid things as this come about.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

Torquemada

Desert = no water
If it has a ready supply of water, then it's not a desert!

Of course, if the U.S. did this, I'm sure some environmental group would sue next because the migratory patterns of SOMETHING would change as birds would congregate at water holes.

flinch_of_gt

Screw it. I say we invade Mexico, make it the 51st state, and drag it kicking and screaming into the 21st century. As long as Mexico has the option of dumping its' troublemakers here, they have no incentive to improve.

If the jerks who filed suit win, I'd expect that a lot of folks in the Southwest will be taking matters into their own hands. There's so much pent-up hostility to the illegal invasion that it probably will cause some people to take extreme measures.

Groups of illegals may start disappearing. Permanently. :(

Kaboom

Does anyone remember Eastwood's handling of the greaseball bad guy with the dog in The Eiger Sanction? There are a few legal minds in this case who need the same treatment.

Mike in VA

Re: crossing the desert wihjt no water - sounds like natural selection in action. For what it costs us to fight this crap we could put up a lot more fences and land mines.

I realize that those people come because they want a better life. Part of the reason that we have one is that we're a nation of laws. So they break the law to come here - seems like that just degrades the 'better life' they want for all. That isn't 'compassionate'.

:barf: :mad: :barf: :mad: :barf: :mad: