Why no XD's in IDPA?

tulsamal

I've gone to Red Castle twice now for IDPA. Last time we had 54 shooters. Two guys had revolvers. And I saw several SIG's in various flavors. Then there were somewhere between 5-10 guys with 1911's. That leaves about 75% with Glocks. Big and small, various calibers.

Now I do own two Glocks myself. But I've been reading on the internet now for a couple years that the XD can be considered a "product improved Glock." And I've considered buying one to check it out. But I do find it curious that I never saw one person at IDPA shooting one? If it is really "better than the Glock" or "more advanced than the Glock," wouldn't you expect to see some people shooting them in that kind of competition?

Not trying to ruffle any feathers but I do wonder why it was so heavily weighted toward Glocks? The obvious answer is that there is so much in the way of aftermarket parts for Glocks. The problem with that answer is so many people seemed to be shooting basically bone stock Glocks. The most popular modification was fiber optic sights but I assume you could buy those for XD's. And if the XD was actually "better," then the aftermarket stuff would start showing up for the people who wanted to shoot them. Curious.

Anyway, what's the deal and does it tell us anything about how the XD is regarded by the high volume shooters?

Gregg

18DAI

At the range I shoot IDPA matches, there are 4 or 5 (out of 68 to 75) shooters using 9mm XD's. The majority use Glocks as well. The Glock shooters tell me it's an easy shooting pistol, thats very easy to do follow ups with. The 9mm M&P seems to be gaining in popularity too.

I've been using HK's when shooting semi auto's, and am getting ready to shoot the next match with a 92FS.

One of the 9mm XD guys regularly finishes in the top 15. Regards 18DAI.

tulsamal

xd's are relatively new. lots of old school die hards in comp.

Those are the people using 1911's!

Hard to imagine the "old school" types driving Glock sales!!

The youngest guys that I saw shooting were either using Glocks or SIG's.

I thought maybe it was an Oklahoma or regional thing and other people would say that lots of XD's were used in their areas.

Gregg

TiP99

+1 for easy to shoot and pick up targets for follow ups. I had a Walther P99 9mm and now i have a Glock 26. Even with the smaller grip i find follups easier.

joe1347

Personally, I've found that the Glock is a little easier to shoot in competition (than the XD) because the Glock seems to have a little lower bore axis. It's a subtle difference - but important for competition.

DeltaWhiskey

XD's suffer in IDPA because you can't shoot in the SSP division with them. SSP is the most popular division in IDPA and is ruled by Glock. However, I believe that the S&W M&P is going to be stealing some of the Glock's thunder particularly if the cost for M&P magazines ever go down.

Last edited:

Para Bellum

bore axis!

AFAIK the bore axis of the XD is much higher than Glock's. So muzzle flip is stronger and follow-ups are slower. The Steyr M9/M40 has a bore axis even lowe than a Glock. You can easily see that on the pics below. Compare the distance between the root of the trigger and the top of the barrel:

STEYR M-A1:

ff7b5efcf6.jpg

Glock (17):

safeaction_pistol.jpg

XD:

award.jpg