Why no stainless AR receivers?

Skans

I know that at least one company had made some stainless AR lower receivers. I found one on Gunbroker listed at a ridiculous price. So, I was just wondering why no one has set out to make upper and lower receivers out of SS for the AR. This would renew my interest in this platform.

Mrgunsngear

While I wouldn't buy one, people would I'm sure. Look at all the people out there that refuse to buy Glocks/XDs/ect... because they're not stainless. You may have a good business idea on your hands....

Slamfire

Weight and cost.

The lower receiver in a AR simply holds the parts together but it does not carry a significant load. The load of combustion is carried between the bolt and the barrel shroud, both of which are a high grade of steel.

Rifles in which the receiver is a load path, like Mausers, FN/FAL's, Garand, etc, their receivers have to be made of steel and it costs more in material and machining.

I don't see any advantage in increasing weight and cost of an item that does not need it, and the corrosion resistance of stainless is not needed.

Backyard mechanics typically pick stainless steel for applications that don't need corrosion resistance. The Jewel trigger is an example, the internal parts are stainless. The stainless Jewel used does not take a deep heat treat or case so the sear surfaces wears quickly. Obviously who ever picked that material should have been thinking tool steel and hardness

rugerdawg

Stainless ar-15 reciever

I believe that DPMS used to offer an investment cast stainless steel lower receiver, but may have discontinued them a few years back. Cost was close to $500

UtopiaTexasG19

One purpose of a "black gun" is that it does not reflect light well and call attention to one's location. Stainless steel on the other hand....

Skans

One purpose of a "black gun" is that it does not reflect light well and call attention to one's location. Stainless steel on the other hand....

There are plenty of examples of stainless steel coated black.....just like what's done with aluminum. Think American made Cetme or RA M-96 (albeit they are stamped receivers).

The extra weight would compare to the extra weight of some of the "bull barrels" out there. Extra strength can't be denied, even if perceived as unnecessary - I sure would want that SS receiver if I were planning on dropping a Lightning Link or RDIAS in it, or even a belt-fed upper. The little bit of extra weight would be a benefit in .308 AR's.

Last edited:

dayman

You could just glue tin-foil to it. Spray paint could also work.
It does seem odd that in a market saturated with both AR mods and Stainless "upgrades", they don't.
It would bridge that gap between mil-spec and cartel-gun.

rugerdawg

While the benefits of such an animal do not seem to appeal to the AR purists. The advantages to a person looking to build a bench type or really heavier barrel the extra strength and weight, not to mention the "bling" factor to those who can afford it just offers another endless option.

eldorendo

The ONLY advantage I can think of for manufacturing ARs out of stainless steel would be to have something "interesting" to post on forums like this!!:cool::rolleyes:

m&p45acp10+1

I thought it was because it was not black. I think their is a law stating that AR rifles must be black. They have the same saying as Henry Ford. "It comes in any color you want, as long as that color is black.":p

All kidding aside. You could just bead blast the lower to make it the same finish as stainless steel. If you do not have the blaster, a sandblasting shop would not charge you much to do the job. There are sandblasting shops all over. Most of the work they do is for body shops.

cannonfire

There is a market for tiger stripped gold Desert Eagles and $300 billet AR receivers. I think there could be a small market for a SS receiver if nothing else for the cool factor

Jimro

If memory serves, DPMS did a run of stainless receivers a few years back, I remember the price being significantly more than forged aluminum, but I was looking to increase the weight/mass for a competition AR.

In the end I passed on the stainless, and pretty much so did the rest of the market. I'm sure you can still find them on the used market.

Jimro