Why No Love For .40S&W Brass?

Blue Grass

I shoot at 2 public ranges and people pick up just about all the brass except 40 S&W. On my last range trip before the current ice age, I picked up about 300 .40 cases. It all appeared to be once fired Federal and Win. I currently have 4 coffee cans full of this caliber brass. Why do people pick up everything else and leave the .40?

parttime

I find the same thing at the indoor range that I shoot at. I just wish they felt the same way about 380 auto's

hoytinak

I always find lots of .40 and .357sig brass at our range. Mainly cause that's with the local LE and Highway Patrols use and they get their ammo free so they don't need to reload it.

rattletrap1970

Same thing at the range I belong to. Lots of .40 S&W and quite a bit of .357 Sig. I've been collecting all the brass I can for some time, finally got so much .40 S&W that I purchased an EAA Witness Match in .40 S&W. I already had a set of 10mm/.40 dies, so I'm good to go.

I've also noticed a resurgence of mousegun brass. I've been finding a lot of .380, .32ACP and .25 Auto lately. I reload for .380 and .32 so this is good also. The .25 I keep just in case I get one.

FrankenMauser

I see plenty of people picking up .40 S&W. You probably just hit the place after a non-reloader had gone through six boxes of 'practice' ammo.

Even the reloaders I have known, didn't do much practicing with their .40 S&Ws. They never really explained in detail, but often turned down free brass - saying they had 'more than they will ever need' at home.

I just don't think it's a high volume cartridge, for most reloaders.

ScottRiqui

I think a lot of it depends on where you shoot. I bought some brass from a military range last weekend, and I didn't need any 9mm, so I was sorting from their 55-gallon drum into two buckets - one for 9mm and another for "everything but 9mm" that I was going to buy.

By the time I had the "everything but 9mm" bucket half-full, the 9mm bucket was completely full.

Of course, there are a lot military shooters that practice there, along with all the commands getting their qualifications done, so it's no surprise that 9mm makes up such a large portion of their brass.

Dodge DeBoulet

9mm seems to be the "throwaway" stuff at my range. There are a number of folks that reload .40 S&W (myself included), so anything loose in that caliber disappears fairly quickly. But there's so much 9mm that no one bothers picking it up now.

We do have a fair number of people that don't save their brass, and once in a while I'll hit a .40 S&W "brass mine," but it's not that common.

I could go home with a 5 gallon bucketful of 9mm every day, though. Guess I need to pick up one of those little popguns :D

Doby45

I would say that seeing a ton of brass of a certain caliber also denotes the popularity of the round. The 40S&W has made a name for itself in federal, state and local law enforcement agencies and due to that has grown exponentially.

rattletrap1970

Well there ARE lots of cops, constables, and such at the range I belong to. I would imagine that explains all the 40 brass. Nice stuff too. Once fired as far as I can tell also.