why no browning .45 1911

6onthehip

i have my opinions as to why this is but i'd like to hear yours

if they could just stretch that 9HP just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit more and make it feel close to the same i 'd have my BHP.45

would you buy one?

IdahoG36

As with almost any firearm, if you go with a larger cartridge, almost everything else has to increase in size as well. I don't think you would have the same feel if you chambered a HP in .45acp vs. the 9mm version.
The only way I could see keeping almost the same overall grip size would be if you made it a single stack .45acp. At that point you might as well just buy a 1911.

rbernie

The BHP is fairly dainty (as these things go) and had issues scaling up to 40S&W. I cannot imagine that it would retain near any of its charm if made sufficiently stout to handle the 45ACP.

geetarman

I have a local friend whose father is a production manager for Browning.

There is an active rumor of a Browning 1911. I would love to see one and I have no way of knowing if the rumor has any basis in fact.:confused:

jfrey

If Browning made a HP in .45, that would mean I would only own 2 pistols. My wife wouldn't have anything to buy me on special ocassions.

saspic

I've always wondered why there wasn't a Browning 1911! It seems like such a no brainer.

I thought they should have some pretty basic models, like a first edition style (non -A1) 1911, and a 1911A1 model reminiscent of the ones carried in World War II. They'd sell lots to collectors who would buy these just to have them, maybe not even shooting them.

Then, if they wanted a bigger share of the pie, they could make something like Colt's XSE, with all the bells and whistles like the beavertail safety, etc.

As to the .45 A.C.P. High Power, I don't see why not. It would be like the CZ 97B, which is a .45 version of the 9mm CZ 75B. The 97B is certainly a little bigger than the 75B, but no one complains that it lost the ergonomics.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-97-b/

Anyhow, new models don't seem to be a priority to Browning.:(

6onthehip

re

^^^+1 - absolutley like the CZ - i know its going to be a little bigger but i still think if it took as many characteristics as it could form the 9 it would be a great seller and thought of a retro WWII model would be huge imho to alot of folks - i mean come on this is the man who invented the thing colt just got lucky and got to build it in the begining.browing needs to step up the pistol selection to match their rifle stable - to me they could be right up there with the top players

Webleymkv

This reminds me of the CZ-75 vs. CZ-97 issue with the late Col. Cooper. Cooper always said that the CZ-75 was the best of the wonder-nines and that if they would just make one in .45 he would carry it. When they finally did, Cooper complained about the weight. .45 ACP just does not lend itself well to the type of package as a 9mm. A .45 ACP with a double-stack magazine is going to be necessarily larger and heavier than a 9mm doulbe stack of similar configuration. Having handled both a CZ-75 and CZ-97, I can tell you that the handling qualities of each are quite different. In order to make a .45 BHP feel even remotely close to a 9mm BHP, you would have to make it a single-stack, at which point you'd basically have a 1911 with no grip safety.

bigghoss

to have any hope of keeping the same feel you'd have to have a single stack .45acp or maybe you could double stack 10 rounds of .45gap in there, maybe. but I'm not a fan of the round.

Pilot

How about just an FN made 1911 with Browning branding? NOT a Hi Power in .45.

Love my Hi Power in 9MM and that's the caliber it should stay.