Why no breech loading inlines

deerslayer303

Seems the modern muzzleloader makers are on and have been on a quest for the faster, easier black powder rifles. I know alot of states specifically state that a Muzzleloader is a rifle that is loaded from the muzzle. But, still why hasn't there been a modern breech loading rifle? Push in your modern jacketed bullet, then your two pellets, close the breech put in a 209 primer and your ready to go. The things I think about over coffee :rolleyes:

Hawg

Most people that want inlines just want them for hunting so if they're not legal for hunting nobody would want them. JMO.

Blindstitch

It might be technical and legal.

Legal because they say it has to be loaded from the end of the barrel.

And
Technical because when you put the powder and then bullet in you compress it. Different powders may have longer pellets which would mean making an easy passage for the pellets and projectile to just fit and close may create an air gap in differing combinations.

B.L.E.

The modern inline muzzle loader pretty much owes its existence to special muzzle loading only hunting seasons legislated into existence by people who thought it would be a good idea.
Before those special muzzle loading only seasons were introduced, muzzle loaders were mostly "Davy Crockett" rifles owned by people who were fascinated by the old days and antique rifles and those that hunted with them
just hunted during "deer season" along with the people who used modern rifles.

They were owned by people who were genuinely interested in muzzle loaders and the ways of the past. The modern inlines on the other hand are a means to an end, a way to get an extended hunting season and bought by people who's interest in muzzleloading begins and ends at getting to hunt an extended season.
So, you probably won't see a breech loading loose powder inline unless someone contrives a special hunting season specifically for such guns.

Meanwhile, you can buy reproductions of historical guns that loaded from the breech using loose powder or paper cartridges if you are fascinated by such guns. The papercutter Sharps rifle comes to mind.

Hawg

Yeah but the paper cutter doesn't pass as a muzzle loader in most states. Most state regs I've looked at state loads from the muzzle.

deerslayer303

Primitive Weapons
For special primitive weapons seasons, primitive
weapons include bow and arrow, crossbows
and muzzleloading shotguns of twenty
gauge or larger, and rifles of .36 caliber or
larger with open or peep sights or scopes,
which use black powder or a black powder
substitute that does not contain nitrocellulose
or nitro-glycerin components as the propellant
charge. There are no restrictions on ignition
systems including flintstone, percussion cap,
shotgun primer, disk, or electronic. During
primitive weapons season, no revolving rifles
are permitted (50-11-310). Falconry Allowed.

Seems SC doesn't state loaded from the muzzle. They only mention the type of powder to be used. So a paper cutter or a Smith Carbine is legal here for upstate and WMA primitive weapons seasons. That's good to know :D

Model12Win

I probably wouldn't use a modern Smith carbine for hunting.

Today's smith carbine cases are made specifically for target shooting and only hold 30-40 grains of powder. The originals held over 50 grains.

Hawg

All the states have their own regulations. My state you don't even have to use black powder. You can use breech loading single shot cartridge guns with scopes for the first season and on public lands for all of them but on private property after the first primitive weapons season it's weapon of choice. If your weapon of choice is an AR 15 with a 30 round mag then go for it.

B.L.E.

Hawg said:
Yeah but the paper cutter doesn't pass as a muzzle loader in most states. Most state regs I've looked at state loads from the muzzle.

True, but you can still use it during open season, like the muzzle loading aficionados used to do before the advent of special muzzle loading seasons.

If the hunting rules had stayed that way, there would be nearly zero interest in "inlines" today. The muzzle loaders back then wanted guns like Davy Crockett and Jedediah Smith used. They chose the challenge of hunting with primitive weapons during open season.

Hawg

True and I hunted with my Hawken during regular season plenty of times but I haven't seen an inline for sale anywhere around here in a long time because nobody wants to hunt with them if they don't have to.

maillemaker

Yup, the entire invention of the "sport muzzleloader" was to let people who don't like real muzzle loaders shoot in the muzzle loading hunting season. Nowadays most hunting "muzzle loaders" are modern scoped rifles that make a little more smoke than usual.

Ostensibly these seasons were created to give people who were hunting with a "handicap" a separate part of the season for themselves.

Steve

Pahoo

What a shame ....

Historically there was or were breech loading M/L's. Can't recall the name but it was a swivel breech. ...... :confused:

Now then, here is one for the books. Last year I saw a Sharps in 45/70. You loaded the shell and there was a vent hole in a spent primer. You loaded the shell and closed the breech. Then on the frame or receiver, there was a pocket for a 209 primer. When the primer went off, the spark traveled through a channel and into the base of the cartridge. The price was right, for a Sharps but not for this conversion. The seller said it was legal for our Iowa M/L seasons. I seriously doubt that ...... ;)

Be Safe !!!

B.L.E.

Ostensibly these seasons were created to give people who were hunting with a "handicap" a separate part of the season for themselves.

Yes, but why stop with muzzle loaders? Lets have spear season, pistol season, bow season, recurve bow season, English longbow season, crossbow season, maybe there will be a couple of days left over for open season.:rolleyes:

Hawg

That doesn't qualify as a primitive weapon here but the H&R Handi Rifle in calibers .35 and larger does.

JohnKSa

Administrator
But, still why hasn't there been a modern breech loading rifle? Push in your modern jacketed bullet, then your two pellets, close the breech put in a 209 primer and your ready to go.
The reason inlines exist is to allow people to hunt during muzzeloading seasons. A breechloading inline would be a gun that wasn't legal for the use for which it was intended...
Historically there was or were breech loading M/L's.
Breech loading and muzzle loading are mutually exclusive.

If it's a breech loader then, by definition, it's loaded through the breech, not through the muzzle and therefore it's not a muzzle loader. If it's a muzzle loader then, by definition, it loads through the muzzle and therefore it isn't a breech loader.

deerslayer303

We don't need no muzzle loader season. Would love to fill this holler up with the smell of sulphur this mornin! [emoji3]
b97dc73ed48f77128ab0c61be51cc593.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hawg

Breech loading and muzzle loading are mutually exclusive.

If it's a breech loader then, by definition, it's loaded through the breech, not through the muzzle and therefore it's not a muzzle loader. If it's a muzzle loader then, by definition, it loads through the muzzle and therefore it isn't a breech loader.

That's the way I see it too and most state regs I've seen specify muzzle loader but there's guys that swear they can use Sharp's etc. I don't get it.