Why no .25 caliber cartridge based on the 308?

Elkins45

I was thumbing through a reloading manual yesterday when it struck me that .257 is the only major caliber that hasn't had a factory cartridge built for it from the 308 case. We have the:

243 Win
X
260 Remington
7mm-08
308 Win
338 Federal
358 Win

I realize that .277 is missing, but it's very close to 7mm...and until recently there were only two factory rounds in that caliber at all.

See the X? That's where the 25 caliber offering ought to be. Why in the world make an oddball caliber like 6.5 rather than .257? The old quarter bore seems like a natural choice. Maybe because it would be so similar to the 257 Roberts?

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

jimbob86

I'm guessin' with the effort to meet demand for existing cartridges (remember the "Great Ammo Shortage of '09"?) there isn't excess industry capacity to futz with somenting new...... and the sluggish economy ...... there is not a lot of market pressure to reward making something new.....

I'd suspect that that idea has been floated and shelved by several manufacturers ...... there's a glut of cartridges out there now, and some (the various Short/Super Short/Ultra Magnums come to mind) will have to die to make room for "something different"..... Just guessin' ......

Scorch

It's called the .25 Super. It has been around a long time, but has not been offered commercially because there is not enough of a difference between it and the 243 or other 25 caliber cartridges.

And FWIW, the 6.5mm Remington is not based on the 308 case, that is the 260 Remington. The 6.5mm Remington is a belted magnum cartridge.

Elkins45

And FWIW, the 6.5mm Remington is not based on the 308 case, that is the 260 Remington. The 6.5mm Remington is a belted magnum cartridge.

Right! My Bad...I'll go back and edit.

25 Super, huh? I'll have to do a little research on that one. Thanks.

natman

Just not enough room to create a viable market niche, what with the solidly established 243 below and the new 260 Rem above. Even tighter are the 250 Savage to the left and the 257 Roberts to the right. It's pretty crowded in that neighborhood.

NWCP

With all that is currently available off of the .308 case you have to consider the success and long time use of the 25-06. It would have to be a very special round to find commercial wiggle room in an already established niche.

CPTMurdoc30

25 super is the way to go.

I think it would make a much better midrange cartridge over many of the 6mm rounds out there myself. But, then again I have always had a soft spot for the quarter bore.

I was thinking of rebarreling a 308 savage to the 25 Super. Should make a fine deer rife.

PawPaw

I'm also enamored of quarter-bores, and think that the .25-06 is one of the premier whitetail cartridges ever made. Wonderfully accurate with good killing power. Several of the guys on my lease use .25 caliber offerings and have had exceptional luck with them.

I've often wondered the same thing, why no .257 cartridge based on the .308 case is a factory offering. The only answer I could come up with is that the .243 has it covered on one end and the 7mm-08 has it covered on the other. The .260 Remington appeals to the 6.5mm crowd and is a niche cartridge and was finally standardized by Remington in 1997.

So, in my opinion, it comes down to money. The wildcat guys have the .25 Super, the factory guys have the .250 Savage, the .25-06, the .25 WSSM, and the .257 Weatherby. There is probably not much money to be made with a .25 caliber made on the .308 case and the factories can't see a profit.

dahermit

The reason for no .25 based on the .308 is likely as has been mentioned, the .250 Savage is so close it would be a virtual duplicate of a .25/.308.

Elkins45

prolly because there is already a .25-06, why reduce case capacity?

Isn't this the same question that could have been asked about the creation of the 308 vs. the 06?

My personal interest would be in using military brass so i could shoot a bunch and keep a bunch of ammo on the shelf with out breaking the bank for factory brass. Yes, I know I could do the same with a 7-08, but I don't currently stock 7mm bullets and the last thing I want is to add a new caliber to my bullet cache. I already keep .257 pills for my 25/06 and .257 Wby.

If Shaw chambered barrels in 25/08 (.25 Souper) I would build one on a Savage action just to say I've done it. I would like to have one but I could buy a whole lot of brass for the cost of most quality custom chambered barrels.

.257 Roberts

Not much difference in powder capacity, well established and well accepted, and evidently functions as a "short action" round. Don't own one, but know a guy that has taken all big game except brown bear with his 257. So, the market for the 257 caliber may have been limited and no room for a 308 based 25.

smoakingun

maybe because the .243 is only .007" away? Seems a .250 would be redundant. But I think that about a lot of cartridges.

GeauxTide

A few companies had 257 Roberts and 250 Savage chamberings. Didn't sell very well. Besides, a 260 Rem will turn in better performance with 100s and 120s than any short, standard 25. Then, there are the 140gr pencils.........