why no 15+ round .22 handguns?

cajun47

if they can make tons of 15+ round 9mm handguns why not .22s?

anyway i was thinking of the mark 3 ruger. are they reliable? no its not for sd or ccw. i just want a good .22 pistol.

HisSoldier

It's the rim, as you stack .22's up the angle increases. A drum magazine would work. The old 50 round mags for the 1022 worked well, plastic see through things, I don't even know if the libs allow that sort of thing any more. ;) In a regular pistol magazine you have to contend with the rim though.

saber9

HisSoldier got it right; it is the rim. I have a couple of high cap magazines from before the ban for my 10-22, one of them a 50 round. They are what used to be called "banana clips". Those would not be very practical for a handgun. Notice that all the high cap semi autos are rimless cartridges. Center fire semi autos firing rimmed cartridges are rare and few are very successful.

anyway i was thinking of the mark 3 ruger. are they reliable? no its not for sd or ccw. i just want a good .22 pistol.

Yes, the Mark III is very reliable, as much so as any .22 pistol. I consider the Rugers and the Buckmarks the best .22 pistols available today. I don't count the exotic match grade pistols, as their price makes them specialized firearms, at least that is my opinion. Any of the Rugers or Buckmarks are simply excellent pistols in every way.

jdc48160

I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson model 22A-1 .22LR 5.5 inch bull barrel pistol. Has a 10 round capacity mag on it.

I then installed a 40mm TruGlo red dot sight on it for target and varmint shooting.

I love this gun. It's deadly accurate, next to no recoil at all with the heavier bull barrel plus the weight of the sight added to it. Very easy to take down to clean. Scored it for $170 at Cabelas, and got the sight for $60, also at Cabelas.

I only shoot Federal Premium thru it and have not had one feed issue with it. I've put probably 300 rounds thru it since I bought it.

softmentor

at the affordable end of the .22, I love my Neos. I have 2 with 6" barrel for $180 each and one with 7 1/2" for $235. extra mags are $9.99 and I got a red dot for $8.99 both at CDNN. Shoots Federals, WWB, Remington gold bullet, (AKA all the cheap stuff you can find for $10 or so per 550 rounds) also handles the high velocity stuff just fine.
round count over 3000, reliable accurate, solidly built, and best of all, fun.
VERY easy break down, way easier than Ruger for break down.

TripIII

+1 on the MK III

Just something about the way this gun feels and performs that I like. The 22/45 has a grip angle and controls like a 1911 (which I really like), but the MK III target with the metal frame has great balance.

Field stripping and reassembly is tricky, but Ruger has a great tech support line and they will walk you through it.

94bluerat

I have the Buckmark. Awesome gun, best trigger I own. I often carry it over the Hi-Power jsut due to comfort and accuracy.

kristop64089

I have a 22s(same as the 22a, but all steel).
100_0749.jpg

and last night I picked up a Ruger MKIII 512 (blued target/govt model with 5-1/2" barrel) I mounted my red dot on it, and destroyed a can at 25 feet with it. Putting ALL 20 rnds into a soda can. SCARRY ACCURATE.
100_0748.jpg

Last edited:

woad_yurt

Maybe....

I suspect that high capacity rimfire magazines in smaller weapons (pistols) aren't used because of inertial physics. If one were to stack up a bunch of rimfire cartridges, which all have mass, and then drop the gun, one may run the chance of a discharge in the magazine. Also, the higher the capacity of a magazine, the more one must compress a spring in the magazine to load said magazine. That spring pressure added to the inertia of 14 cartridges hitting down on cartridge #15 from hitting a floor in just the right way may cause some type of discharge. This wouldn't happen with centerfires because nothing is touching the primer in the magazine. Anyway, that's my take.

Rembrandt

High cap .22's are available from several sources. Ciener conversions for most double stack capacity handguns allows the same staggered stacking for .22's. This BHP conversion is 14+1, other models offer 15+1 capacity. Numerous semi-autos like the Ruger Charger using 10/22 mags are capable of 50 rounds.

BHP-3.jpg

BHP-6.jpg

DSC02488.jpg

Rembrandt

Just your standard 9mm chrome Browning High Power. This one has been tweaked into a "multi-caliber" unit. (9mm, 40S&W, .22LR Ciener unit, and .22LR Peter Stahls unit) Simply change the upper and magazine for a different caliber.

BHPMulti.jpg

SIGSHR

I confess I don't see the utility of them, 2700 and other Bullseye matches
are fired in 5 round strings (at least they were in my day) and there would
be loading problems from rimmed cases. My shooting style is probably a little
genteel, still prefer slow fire over a "rattle battle". Also the range I shoot
has full autos for rental, hence I can indulge in the "real thing."