Why is there a bullet weight limitation??

cslinger

In some revolvers I have seen things like you should not shoot any bullets lighter than X grains. Usually 120 or so.

Why is this? Is is because more the blast pressure hits the barrel and gun versus being used up launching a heavier bullet?

Is it dangerous to shoot a lighter bullet like a 110 grain .357 or is it just to save wear and tear.

What about those crazy little RBCD buggers. Are they not like 30-70 grain bullets? Different question but how can a bullet that light be effective? Just curious but I digress.

Thanks

Chris

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Hmmm...

Most weight limitations I've seen are admonitions to not shoot bullet weights heavier than XXX grains out of such-and-such revolver. This is to prevent excessive recoil from causing the bullets in the remaining chambers to jump their crimp and tie up the cylinder.

You may also see folks recommending against shooting excessive numbers of 110 or 125gr jacketed bullets over full-house loads in K-frame magnums due to the fact that the bullets in these loads are already moving at tremendous velocities when they hit the forcing cone and could cause it to split at the thin, relieved area @ the six-o'clock position.

Radicalcleric

Seems to me this warning is often on small concealment guns. I think maybe it is the overall cartridge length that is the concern as these guns usually have bare minimum length on cylinders and magazine wells and heavier bullets mean physically longer cartridges.

Mal H

Staff
Yep. The range of bullet weights is usually dictated by the range of overall lengths for a particular cartridge. The upper end of the range is also limited by the pressure limits and recoil factors. Wear and tear on the gun is usually not a big factor.