why is the coating on my remington junk?

stangfan93

anyone else have this problem with their remington

I just bought my rifle last year. I am very proud of it. i love it. but either i didnt love it enough or the coating on the rifle is junk. My bolt handle is rusting a little but on the barrel. just a little speck and the scope rings are going also. This is killing me especially because i am leaving in the morning to go hunting! after seeing this. It kind of makes me wonder "what does it look inside the barrel:eek: ?"

i have just recently bought the plano air glide rifle case and since there is considerable amount of space for ear plugs ammo and other things i will be placing dessicant packages in there with it. i can get a lot from work since all we will do is trash them. I'm not talking about the little ones that come when you buy a pair of shoes. these thing are 2" wide, 4" long and 1" thick. Look very similar to a been bag.

so for now i will be putting a generous amount of militec on it and let it sit out in the sunlight. yes, it maybe too late but it doesnt hurt to atleast try.

stangfan93

is militec still a good lube like i have been told repeatedly? so basically what you are saying is either break free or that eezox. i will try to find that today. thanks for this info

stangfan93

forgot to mention. in my searching for my hunting gear (i just recently moved and have been very busy with work to un pack) i found a silicone rag i had ordered from wilson combat. i hadnt opened it since i had bought a hoppe's rag before the wilson came in and the hoppe's rag came in a ziploc bag. being that i couldnt find the hoppes i went ahead and used the wilson rag on my rifle and it looks like it took away the rust. maybe, i'm not sure. but it looks like it did. im happy now

Scorch

Sounds like you have a few spots of surface rust. Silicone will make them disappear, but they don't go away. You would need something a bit more agressive than silicone oil to remove them. Best bet is to clean the rifle thoroughly and wipe it with something like RIG or some of the new rust preventatives.

L Puckett

If you are leaving the rifle in a case it will rust. Foam and many of the materials in hard/soft cases collect condensation from the natural heating and cooling in a house.

Just my $.02.

LP

Don't store your gun in a case----and the scope rings rusting have nothing to do with Remington's finishing process---since Remington didn't even make them.

You need to take up some proper maintanence techniques and Break Free is your friend.

Wild Bill Bucks

Gun safes are for long term storage...Rifles cases are for transportation.

Niether should have a rifle in them, that is not properly cleaned, and oiled.

FirstFreedom

is militec still a good lube like i have been told repeatedly? so basically what you are saying is either break free or that eezox.

Yes, militec is still a fantastic LUBE - probably the best lube. That doesn't necessarily make it the best at being a rust preventative. It's hard to be a jack of all trades, but CLP does a pretty good job of it. But strictly as a lubricant, CLP is not as good as militec-1.

If you are leaving the rifle in a case it will rust. Foam and many of the materials in hard/soft cases collect condensation from the natural heating and cooling in a house.

Yup. Condensation from the foam. Leave it out in the open, or in a safe.

castnblast

If it is just surface rust, get some VERY FINE steel wool, and some Oil...any oil, and use it generously. I prefer straight 30 weight automotive. Rub the rust lightly w/ the steel wool and it will come off. It (steel wool) won't hurt your finish as long as you use VERY FINE steel wool.

1++ on the case. NEVER EVER store your rifles in a case. The foam will actually remove the oil from your gun like a sponge, making it vulnerable to rust.

stangfan93

i had some of that break free somewhere. i dont remember if i stated this but i have moved recently and havent had time to unpack. working shift work and tons of over time you dont feel like doing much when you are off. i was told it was a very cleaner. so if i want to quit it rusting i need to put some of the break free all over the barrel and other various parts? i'm still learning how to take care of rifles and shotguns. my pistols i keep pretty clean. but the other two are still new to me. I have been self taught as my parents were never into guns much less hunting.

piercfh

So why didnt they test G96? I love the stuff, and it's all I use for protection on blued guns. Has anyone else had experience with this product?

Bill T

Buy yourself a quart of Mobil 1 for around $4. It will work better than all of these overpriced "gun oils" that are nothing more than overpriced snake oil. I've used it for years and have never had a gun rust or malfunction because of a lubrication issue. Most guns rust because of a lack of oil far more than they do from the qualitys, or lack thereof, of the oil used. If you live and hunt in a very cold climate you have the option of buying 2 quarts, ($8), one in 0W-20 for lubrication, (it won't thicken in cold weather), and one in 20W-50 for rust prevention. It's heavier viscosity will adhere to the metal far better than any gun oil. 2 quarts will last the average shooter a lifetime. Bill T.

guntotin_fool

I use amzoil synthetic, prolly same thing as mobil 1, I use a compressor oil that thickens as it get hot, at cold temps it is like water, so the compressor will turn over in the cold, then as it warms provides more protection. Have used this for years not a single issue.