Why Is It

hogcowboy

Why is it, once I purchase a weapon, that's when I start reading and hearing about how bad it is. I bought a Taurus and started hearing and reading how bad they are. Got a Kimber, same thing. I'm thinking a getting a full size .45 Dan Wesson. Am I going to see the same thing then? Or is it just one of those things that once you have something you pay more attention to the negatives. I'm seriously considering the DW but I don't want to without know just what the negatives are. I don't even know what model yet. Is it just me or does this seem to happen to others.

Shooter4Life

Reguardless of how good a product is, there will always be lemons. People tend to talk more about bad experiences than good ones. I'd say to focus less on what everyone else says about your piece and focus more on your own opinion formulated through experience.

I'm curious, what were your experiences with the Taurus and Kimber? Do they coincide with what you have read?

hogcowboy

I'm curious, what were your experiences with the Taurus and Kimber? Do they coincide with what you have read?
Well I had no trouble at all with the Taurus but the Kimber has been back to their custom shop 3 times to TRY to fix a stove pipe eject problem. We both have concluded it is just super picky about what kind of ammo it likes but left me not trusting it. That's all!

CWKahrFan

I do many hours of research and comparison (mostly on the net) before making any gun purchase so pretty much know what I'm getting into beforehand and know what to expect - positives and negatives. 'Course every manufacturer puts out a lemon now and then but I try very hard to keep the odds way in my favor. (I won't comment on Dan Wesson 'cause I have no firsthand experience there.)

hogcowboy

45Gunner.......do you consider these forums reliable or just middle of the road. Not being totally positive or negative?

I think these forums are a bit better than average, but be wary of taking any one opinion as gospel.

For all you know, you could open a thread entitled, "Are Dan Wesson guns unreliable?" You'd get responses from people who are gunsmiths, people who've owned and run them, and from people who have no clue but feel the need to chime in and repeat what they heard from a buddy.

Separating the credible from questionable is the trick.

I can tell you that I've seen very real issues with Taurus and Kimber products. When present, those issues manifest themselves immediately. If you have a gun from one of these makers that works well out of the box, you're usually OK.

I've owned several Dan Wesson firearms and found them to be impeccable. I still own one of their 1911's, and it's a good example of how careful craftsmanship can yield a reliable and accurate weapon.

hogcowboy

Thing is I've not seen or heard ANYTHING bad about a Dan Wesson and that rather bothers me just as much.:confused: I think that's a pretty good thing but you just watch, I'll get one and here come the bad mouths. Seems to not fail for some reason.:) At least for me that is. Oh, and just for the record, I do have another Kimber that eats anything I throw at it, so I'm batting 500 when it comes down to it.

I have a V15 that I used to test handloads for years. I was not kind to it, but it's yet to fail me.

My 1911 has been impeccable as well.

Eagle0711

Been experiencing the same for years. After reading reviews and doing the homework and making a purchase, there is always be some " EXPERT " who will say bad things about your choice. No matter what gun you buy. Some of these "EXPERTS" change their mind in a matter of months.

If the gun works for you and fits your needs, IGNORE the supposed experts. Most are egomaniacs that are all over the map. These folks are highly opionated and full of themselves and BS.

Forget them and enjoy your gun without worry.

AZAK

You could always start a thread titled something like:
Tell me your personal Dan Wesson horror stories...

or something like that. OR,

You could start a thread titled something like:
Tell me your personal Dan Wesson experiences...

Likely to get some different responses.

I will get the ball rolling:
Since you do not know which model you are considering, I will say that my personal experiences with DW guns has all been excellent. And as you look into DW, remember that if you are looking at used or years old DWs that the "company/guns" have been made in various locales and by different folks over the years; so, if you are really researching, some folks have preferences concerning this.

This might make a big difference, if you are looking at current production 1911s versus an older interchangeable barrel/pistol pack revolver.

You will find very different info/opinion depending on if you are talking current CZ/DW 1911s verses "Palmer" revolvers.

Sensai

Well, I'll tell ya', I knew somebody that heard about somebody one time that had one of them Dan Wessons an, he said it wart wurf a hoot.:D

There, now you can quit worrying about what somebody else thinks, and make up your own mind. Most of us have very limited experiences. Some of us have vast experience. It's not possible to tell the difference on the web! It's kinda like gun writers. A good gun writer is a good writer, he may not know much about guns.

hogcowboy

Yeah, it's just strange to me you seldom hear anything about an item until you have one and then, bam, there it is. Kinda like buy a car with a certain color and then you notice, everyone else has one just like. I'll open a thread for Dan Wesson bashing once I decide what I THINK I want.

gk1

Another factor is that you may be purchasing once the "buzz" has hit, and production is ramped up, but the attendant QC functions haven't been perfected at the new higher production levels.

larryf1952

Without a doubt, there will always be fans and detractors of anything. Love Glocks, hate Glocks. Love Colts, hate Colts. Love Chevy, hate Chevy...etc., etc., etc. People are slaves to their own opinions, and once established, they are very difficult to change. People are much more inclined to remember a poor experience than a positive one, and they assign the poor performance of a single item to everything that that manufacturer might produce.

I own guns of many different manufacturers. While I've never had one that I'd unequivocally call a lemon, I've had a few that I was not unhappy to part with. Surprisingly, none of my 3 Taurus handguns or my Kimber have been among them. But, Colt, S&W and Browning have been. I even still have a Jennings J-22 that I bought in 1985, because the thing works. Same story with a Llama .45 that is reliable and accurate. I love to shoot it, but 9 out of 10 guys at the range would tell me that it's a POS and my hand will rot off just by touching it.

If you've done your research and have established that the Dan Wesson is the gun for you, then buy it with a clear conscience, and don't worry about something that someone might say negatively about it. If it works for you, that's all that matters.

Jim March

Kimber has gone downhill since their early days. Taurus started out in a ditch and then bought Rossi which are worse.

:eek:

Sorry, but...them's the facts.

Honestly, you're less likely to get screwed over by Ruger than just about anybody else, at least if you understand what you're buying. The Mini-14 for example isn't a 1MOA rifle no matter what you do to it and the availability of decent, reasonably priced ARs has kinda left it as an orphaned stepchild. Even then, for what it is, it works OK.

In some categories they're the absolute kings, in almost all their price/performance is excellent, and you almost never get outright screwed.

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
I don't care what you buy somebody isn't going to like it and they will have a dozen stories of it's terrible factor. Not first hand experience but still they have the stories.

Does it go bang, is it reliable, can you hit what you aim at? That's all you need to enjoy it. Tell the nay sayers they can suck sweat from your arm pits if they cannot show you tangible proof that your gun is a lemon. A story about a friends acquaintances second cousin is not tangible proof.