Why is it that rapid fire is not permitted on some ranges?

Skans

I can never understand why, especially on outdoor pistol ranges, that rappid firing a handgun is not permitted. How do you work on double taps and tripple taps, when all you can do is slow fire? What's the point?

Keltyke

"johnson n" hit it. Not everyone can control rapid fire well enough to shoot in close proximity to others. It's like most ranges don't allow drawing from the holster and firing. Those things need to be practiced in private due to the safety issues.

MacGille

Double taps and triple taps? One in the head is enough. Only Hollywood uses the double tap senario. A good pistolero only needs one properly aimed shot to end a threat. I know, I am going to get a lot of flames on this, but I didn't learn my shooting skills on TV or the movies. Flame on:)

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
MacGille said:
Double taps and triple taps? One in the head is enough. Only Hollywood uses the double tap senario. A good pistolero only needs one properly aimed shot to end a threat. I know, I am going to get a lot of flames on this, but I didn't learn my shooting skills on TV or the movies. Flame on:)

Okay. Where did you learn them?

Keltyke

I'll second that question, "Tamara". So, "MacGille", you can guarantee you get a clean had shot, possibly while under fire and certainly in an extremely stressful situation? Now, THAT sounds like the movies.

No flame, but you make a large boast - back it up.

Glenn E. Meyer

Look at the ceiling. I took my daughter to the range and she looked up and saw lots of holes. She said you have to be kidding as she drilled out the center of the target.

If you want to avoid the risks of range - join or shoot IDPA or IPSC.

Tom2

I don't want to flame Macgille but I think it is actually the movies that show the single shot between the eyes at a great distance, then the hero reholsters and walks into the sunset. Pretty much the tactic I heard was effective was to keep shooting at the adversary till he or it is no longer a threat to you. Especially with handguns. Not that you should empty the mag as a principle but unless you are a superman who fears not the bullets that bounce off your cape and can calmly take aim and bust a fly at 50 yards, I don't see the one shot stop guarantee in any kind of pistol discipline.

bob kk

Lot of ranges don't want the people who live close by to get upset. Range neighbors can cause lots of trouble. Know one range that had to go to court because some one tried to shut the range down. Said the noise bothered them.

Swampghost

The fact is that too many young 'macho' types buy more pistol than they can control and attempt to shoot it beyond their capabilities both in range and speed. They shoot up all of the equipment and send flyers into space.

In my youth I was one of them, I wanted to be Clint Eastwood's 'Man with no name'. Soooo I went out and bought a SBH 7.5" and holster having never shot one. After some blunders out in the swamp and a little research I found a small quickdraw club and the older guys helped dial me in.

Do your homework and you'll find some rapid fire people with a place to shoot and plenty of advice, most of it good.

OldShooter

Rapid

I belong to several private clubs with indoor ranges. We have seen lots of results of incompetent shooters putting holes in the ceiling, walls, etc and taking out the light fixtures. They probably never hit any targets. We don't want that kind of shooting, it's dangerous and expensive for the repairs to the building.

Dearhunter61

That is way too easy....

First it is because of liability

Second is because not everyone is of the same skill and although you might have the skills to shoot rapid fire a lot of people do not.

Too many idiots go to the range and I would hate to be there when some of those show up and start popping rounds off.

I didn't learn my shooting skills on TV or the movies.
The problem is, far too many people did. I've seen those holes in the walls and ceilings of indoor ranges, and I've been around to see them happen.

About a year ago, I watched a guy doing IPSC drills fire a round on the draw. I actually saw it skip off the floor and splinter. I was also present when a guy hit the fire sprinkler head, which was six feet above him at a 90 degree angle. That was fun.

Ultimately, the person who owns the place is letting people he doesn't know discharge firearms. If I were him, I'd be a little leery, too.

chris in va

I went to an outdoor range in MD that had the policy. Seems there are houses not far on the other side of the berm. Double taps could send one over the wall.

And what gets me, I get reamed on here for suggesting people take a safety class when purchasing their first firearm.

Rich Miranda

And what gets me, I get reamed on here for suggesting people take a safety class when purchasing their first firearm.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with suggesting a safety course. The newbie can either follow the advice or ignore it. What's wrong with that?

Back on topic, my range doesn't allow it either. I do double taps anyway. As long as I don't empty out a magazine that way, they don't have a problem. Actually, I am of the opinion that double taps are not rapid fire.

globemaster3

I'm with Chuck. My last M-9 AFQC last fall practiced 2 to center mass, 1 to the head. There was actually a small circle in the head area that was scorable and you had to have so many in it to qual.

Big change for USAF folks, but with the prevelance of dudes on stiff drugs, they had to adjust for it.

Oh, and "rapid fire"? That's why all the target frames at my last range were useless within a week of putting them out. Also evidenced by a plethora of .223 and 7.62X39 brass laying everywhere.