Why is it bad to shoot 127gr +P+ Ranger SXT in Uzis???

Charmedlyfe

Got ignored on the original thread, so.....

Given that NATO subgun ammo (high-pressure stuff) is the preferred fodder for uzis, why is there a warning on the Ranger SXT boxes (127gr +P+) to NOT use it in uzis? I'd like to know, 'cause I usually like to try any new loads I come across in my model B.

C.R.Sam

Why not ask the manufacturer what peak pressure is generated by their SXTs ? Then compare that with NATO pressure specs.

Nuther point, just because the SXT has higher than spec peak pressure, does not mean that the bullet performance is also high.

Sam

Charmedlyfe

Winchester is kinda touchy about their data, and I haven't found any reliable data on the NATO subgun stuff. Anyone know where I can find it???

WESHOOT2

BECAUSE THEY SAID SO

I suggest Winchester found something during testing that THEY feel precludes usage in UZI's.

Pressure, burn temp, residue, ???

(I'm kinda suprised, too, 'cause UZI's seem to swallow everything. Got hooked up with them making 41AE.)

Blue Duck357

Just a some theories,

One of the reason Uzi's seem to eat everything may be due to oversized chambers which help reliability but may not combine well with Winchesters hot load in thier brass.

I also seem to remember someone from a Police Department mentioning on this site that they carried the 127+p+ in thier pistols but used 147 grain HP in thier HK's because of reliability (maybe it's just an OAL or shape feeding issue?).

But my best guess:
I know little of Uzi's but do remember from the one I shot that it put a huge DEEP hit in the primer. Again good for ultimate reliabilty but maybe this combined with the high pressure and Winchesters primer may not be a good combo. Surplus 9mm NATO ammo all seems to have very hard primers which would explain why Uzi's could use +P+ blacktip ammo but not +p+ Ranger.

Hope somebody knows for sure, now I'm curious