Why I (still) handload 9x19

WESHOOT2

It's not because of cost, although I'm convinced it's cheaper to make than to buy, but simply because the 9x19 ammo I make is flat out so good ;)

Those that feel compelled to buy 9x19 yet handload other cartridges should: redo their math; refine their process so the 9x19 ammo they should be making works better than the store-bought stuff :barf: ; move to England :confused:

Okay, so the truth is I got tens of thousands of 9mm cases and a lesser amount of bullets.

craigntx

cheaper? probably not. the cheapest ruskie ammo here is about $94 drive out.
after you add up bullets, primers, powder, its a toss up.
add in your time and your workin for free.

better?
yes
i load 147 gr for my uzi mod a and get super accuracy to 50 yards.:p
nobody sells 147 very cheap (that i know of)

IM_Lugger

I reload 9mm as well..

well starting to :)

it is cheaper (esp if you shoot lead) I shoot copper plated bullets and I save about 50% (compared to buying 50 round factory boxes)

Weeg

Added benefit of why I load tons of 9...

You can make "training rounds" that don't pound your guns like factory ammo...

:)

Dave R

Hmm, economics...last time I costed my 9mm reloads, they were $3.60 per 50. That's with Laser-Cast bullets and Unique powder.

That's $72 per 1,000. So its a marginal savings over the cheap Russkie ammo (which I use in other firearms...)

Problem is, neither of my 9mm's will eject Russkie 9mm. Either their tolerances are large, or my chambers are both tight. I would get stuck cases all the time. So I can't use Russkie ammo in my 9mm's.

And besides, its fun, more accurate, yadda yadda.

Garand Guy

Right on! I can't understand the people who shoot 9mm becase "the ammo is cheaper than _____." I load for all but three of my guns (SKS, and I'm on the verge of loading for that, 12GA & 20GA)

It's nice to taylor a load for a certain gun and I also find it relaxing.

WESHOOT2

flame time

In my considered opinion Wolf steel-cased rounds are not 'ammo'; better terminology would describe them as 'paperweight'.

Oops, I meant "stinky feelthy commie break-my-extractor crap".

There, now I feel better :D

Yee-haw!; know what I mean?

craigntx

you cant really compare lead handloads to jacketed factory
thats like comparing apples to oranges

also lead in a 9mm would be a poor performer defense wise

craigntx

You Gonna Use Lead For Defense?
Lead Is Of Course Cheaper
Its Just Not A Fair Comparison
And It Was Dave That Compared Lead To Jackets

WESHOOT2

ever hear of 'lead poisoning'?

A quick trip to the safe shows some guns loaded with -gasp!- lead bullets.

230g LRN is the same as 230g FMJ, ay?

What, exactly, do Clint Smith and Chuck Taylor have in common?

Mannlicher

The main reason I handload is not the money, but the performance, and the fact that the factory does not always make their stuff with the components I want. Personally, I have no problem at all using my handloads for self defense, hunting, or any other purpose.

craigntx

45 is not 9
show me ANYBODY that has 9mm lead for defense weshoot
jacketed bullets are more $ to produce. therefore they cost more.
they are getting cheaper though
a co. called goldwest or goldenwwest is inexpensive
but after shipping...

ok its golden west bullets
115 gr fmj is $52 per k
+12 shipp (approx)
+20 primers
+10 powder
=more than i can get russian monarch for! (academy sports n outdoors)

www.goldenwestbrass.com
theres a distributor in az and cali
626-454-4585 ca
520-622-6372 az

thats the cheapest i found!
happy shootin
craig

Last edited:

Dave R

Now I'm all confused. Are we comparing lead with jacketed FMJ? If so, they are equivalent for defensive purposes.

If we're comparing JHPs, then the economics are all different. Besides, then you open the huge discussion on "should you use reloads for defense?"

If your cheap russian ammo is JHP, then you're right, it is probably cheaper than handloaded JHP's . But my pistols still won't shoot the stuff, so its not an option for me.

My economics on JHPs (using Speer Gold Dots) are:

My loads: .10 per bullet. 1.6 cents per primer. 1.5 cents for powder. Call it $6.50 per 50. Speer's commercial Gold Dots were $10 per 20 last time I bought 'em, or $25 per 50. So I save 74%. Or, commercial ammo costs 3.85 times more.

yorec

Ya know - I agreed with everything in the original post right up to the England comment... Then had to wonder just what was the matter with me?

Naw, I'm all right - need to go put a few rounds through the progressive to recenter myself is all.

WESHOOT2

esplaining my ownself

I use handloads for everything.

I have no idea what that "...England..." thingie is about; it just came over me.

Civilians rarely get involved in through-barrier shootings.

First, make a hole (the hole will not know what made it; I promise).

I know of at least one place where 9x19 lead-bullet defense ammo might be 'available' :rolleyes:

Mostly I just wanted to get in another shot at Wolf :D

craigntx

dont forget about yer car

auto theft prevention?
if you got an uninsured auto, deadly force is justifiable to prevent the theft:) at least in TX.