Why I shoot a revolver

Laker

Went to the range early today. There were only five people including me. I was the only one shooting revolvers. The others were all having problems with ftf,fte, and jams. I don't know what brands and models they were shooting but whatever they were they made me glad I choose revolvers. I put 200 rounds down range without a hitch.

stevieboy

I shoot revolvers because I've never been able to find a semiauto with a trigger that I'm really comfortable with. Nothing in my estimation compares with the feel of a good double action revolver trigger.

gb_in_ga

Another -- I am a reloader. Not having to chase brass is a big plus. That revolver calibers are so reloader friendly is another.

Dave_Shotgun

I also like revolvers over semi-automatics, because they never jam and their very easy to load and unload and to check that they're empty. I'll probably get a 357 magnum eventually. :)

Atrain9

Laker if you dont mind me asking what range did you go to? I also live in Northwest Ohio and I've been looking for an outdoor range to join?

Teuthis

A real revolver is all steel; carbon or stainless. It has heft and reduces felt recoil for those who need it. A revolver is rugged and reliable; beyond even a 1911, which I also swear by. It is simple in operation, and offers a level of safety under duress that most semi-auto pistols cannot approach. The revolver is powerful. It delivers relatively heavy bullets to the target compared with its semi-auto counterparts from an unmatched array of barrel lengths.

I may want my 1911 for self defense at home, but in the field give me a .357, 45 Long Colt or 44 Mag. Even the supposedly humble .38 Special, with the right bullets, is an excellent self defense and field round. No other handgun style is so versatile, yet specifically effective as the revolver.

Daryl

I've only had feeding problems with one or two semi-auto's I've owned, and those didn't stay with me long.

Most are very reliable, when it comes right down to it.

I just shoot revolvers because I like 'em better. I only have one semi-auto pistol; that one was inherited from my grandfather something like 25 years ago.

The rest of my handguns are all revolvers.

Daryl

Singlesix1954

I grew up on slides. I bought a wheel for a big hunting handgun. I love both but when it comes to handloading you can't beat a gun that don't litter. I have a few slides and a few wheels. I guess I can't say I want to choose. I guess I just love handguns that shoot good. I always take about 3 of each on a trip to the range, even if I'm going to sight in a rifle.

Bart Noir

Revolvers can jam.

My 1st heavy barrel Colt Police Positive Special - shaved bullets so bad the pieces jammed the cyclinder and it took light mallet tapes to get the cylinder open. Never could fire more than 4 shots.

My 2nd heavy barrel Colt Police Positive Special had the cylinder release sliding forward too much, and since it forms part of the recoil shield it jammed the cylinder often.

My 1st S&W 940 never could fire more than 3 shots of 9mm +P before the rounds backed up against the recoil shield, jamming the cylinder. The clips holding the 9mm rounds seemed to hold the cases back. It worked fine with non +P.

My 2nd 940 fires the +P just fine, but they are impossible to eject without some love-taps from a mallet.

My buddy has a Beretta Stampede single action Colt-clone. It would often refuse to turn the cylinder after a shot. The firing pin was rather jagged and would stick in the primer, and pull a piece of primer back into the firing pin hole.

So, they can jam.

Bart Noir

Trathen

The very first time I went shooting, my father took me to a range and had a bunch of guns he had borrowed from his friends and his own. He explained all of the safety rules and basic operation of a gun and let me go at it. I tried a Glock 17, which felt like a plastic box with sights to me. I couldn't even hit the paper target, much less the silhouettes. I tried a 1911. I liked the feel and did slightly better than the glock (I hit the target a couple times). I also tried some pocket pistols and hated them. Then I picked up the Smith & Wesson and loaded some .38s. I lined up the sights and slowly pulled the trigger back while aiming until it fired, one by one. My father looked at the grouping and just said "Wow." Semi-autos have since become my handgun of choice, but a revolver will always hold a special place in my heart (and in my nightstand).

Jim Thompson

I have a S and W 629. I can control the accuracy a lot better than i can with a auto. I love my autos too, but for hunting or fun shooting i like my 44 mag

hounddawg

Just for the record I love shooting both, but the ease of cartridge recovery and outstanding accuracy makes my Blackhawk my favorite gun. Plus somehow it is just very relaxing popping the brass out of that wheel and putting fresh in. That and the act of cocking that trigger back between rounds just feels right somehow. Maybe because my first pistol was a Single Six.

Right now my autos outnumber my revolvers by but I can't see any reason to purchase any more autos in the future, but there are several more revolvers I would love to have in my safe. Economy permitting I plan on purchasing at least one and maybe two more revolvers before the end of the year.

JAYBIRD78

The others were probably new shooters who have the " limpy wrist " problem. You could have offered some help. ;)

Revolvers are nice, but bottom feeders are so quick to clean.