Why I love the Savage 12 LRPV

ace4059

I was wanting to show some pics of the accuracy of this gun.
I always read stories about Savage having accurate rifles. A friend introduced me to hand loading about a year ago and I bought a Savage 12 LRPV in .223 to see how the gun would shoot. On the reviews I read this gun was listed as having .66-.75 MOA accuracy. I have been dialing the groups down with RL-15, and the groups at 100 yds have all been within a dime.

Last week I shot at a longer gun range where I shot 200 yds, and 340 yds. The wind was blowing 28 mph from right to left and I could hit a Dime at 100 yds, and the 3 round group at 200 yds was in a quarter sized hole, and all bullets were in the K-5 at 340 yds.

Over the last year I have tried several different powders, bullets brands, and weights for this gun. The gun isn't picky and would shoot 1/2 MOA or better, no matter what I fed it. But I wasn't happy with 1/2 MOA and I wanted something better. Well today, I finally found what load this gun loves.
Now since I have the right load for this gun, it is capable of shooting one holers. I guess I have a 100 yd fly swatter.

The pics speak for themselves. The Reloader-15 never would dial into a tight one holer. The best I could get with it, was .439" group. The Varget powder really tightened the group.

Ill load up some better photos

Attachments

• phone pics 844.jpg
    phone pics 844.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 620
  • phone pics 846.jpg
    phone pics 846.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:

wingman

What bullet you using.?My model 12 BtVS will shoot .250-.375 consistently
with Berger 52 match or Sierra 52 match, if I do my part.:D

MrDontPlay

I'm also wanting a savage 12. I will probably have to settle for the lower end model though. Nice to see how capable the savage 12 platform is!

4runnerman

ACE4059--Nice shooting. Par for the course when talking Savage though:D. Welcome to Savage Accuracy buddy. I shoot primers out of 40 SW cases at 100 yards. Give this one a try

25.5-Varget
CCI-BR4 primers
60 gn V-Max
2.29 COL
Case length-2.753

I was using RL-15 in my Savage also and on a whim i tried Varget and CCI primers.Man what a difference it made. Now as i tell and show the boys at Casselton Range,,( Mod's please don't kick me for this one) I can shoot the organ off a fly at 100 yards with it. I did actually start taking peanut butter to range and smearing it on cardboard and then waited for flys to land and would shoot them. It's the Savage Benefit man.. Can't beat them for accuracy.:D
My 308 is also a Savage. Very accurate as well. I use RL-15 in that one.

Attachments

• 5 shot 200 yard.jpg
    5 shot 200 yard.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 260
  • DSC00279.jpg
    DSC00279.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

ace4059

Here is the better pics.

I guess what amazes me so much is the rifle is completely stock.

100yds.jpg

Varget
Varget.jpg

RL-15
RL-15.jpg

I tried 6 different bullets ranging from 52-77 gr bullets. The 69 gr seems to shoot the best. Powders tried are; H4895, IMR 4895, Varget, RL-15, and a few different Ball powders my friend had.

Jim243

Well as long as we are flexing muscles on our Savages.

Model 111 270 Win. 5 shot group 130 Grain SST.

image0.jpg

SAM_0447.jpg

Jim

Jim243

I know, if you blow up the picture you can see 4 of the 5 holes. Which hole the fifth shot went through, I could not say, but it was there. I am guessing its through the upper right hole (2 shots) since it is slightly larger than those to the center.

Jim

4runnerman

Bamashooter- I can vouch for Jim243. I have seen some of his other shooting. He is that good. ANDDDDD He owns a Savage:D:D:D

Michael

If your LRPV has the 1:7 twist barrel, try 80 grain Sierra matchkings.
The 69 os ok, the 77 is better than the 69, but the 80 grain bullet with varget powder is simply amazing. The other bullets are not even in the same league.

Bamashooter

4runnerman..... I see 3 holes, but thats cool. If you want to call that good then go ahead. I say its average at best. Nothing to get overjoyed about IMHO.

ace4059

I was wondering if anyone have any of their own loads they would like to share. Should I try any other powders? Any other loads that maybe more accurate?

ace4059

I tried the Hornady 68 gr. Match bullets today loaded with 24.5 gr and 25.5 gr of Varget. I tried two different primes too. Bullets were set .005 off of the lands and groves. The Hornady Bullets shot terrible. 1" to 1-1/2" groups. Im going to load up more serria Match kings .010 off lands and groves tomorrow and see how that shoots with 24.5 and 25.5 of varget.