Why I like The Firing Line

dyl

Just wanted to say this before I forget to and never do it.

I've been to a few forums, and sometimes on a Google search I'll dip into one for some information, but The Firing Line is still one of my favorites.

The discussion seems to be more civil than many other forums, the mods and staff (and veteran posters) help keep things appropriate and tempers in check. Because of this, there tend to be less rants against various people / professions although I do see them occasionally. Heck, people even tend to use more whole sentences, punctuation, and real words on this forum. There are some very knowledgeable folks here, a lot of stored technical information in these pages, and even when the millionth person inevitably asks, "help, I'm shooting low-left, what's wrong with my gun?" there is a willing helping hand.

Well done everyone!

dahermit

...people even tend to use more whole sentences, punctuation, and real words on this forum.
Yeah...no one uses "run" instead of "function" or "shoot". Or "pill" instead of "bullet". Yeah...I like that.

Ben Dover

I like this forum because the mods keep control, but don't over-moderate like another popular forum.

And here, you can even politely disagree with a moderator's point of view without the threat of being banned.

DaleA

I think this a marvelous site.

All-in-all polite conversations (thank you moderators) and a wealth of technical information plus some folk with gorgeous firearms that freely post really nice photos of them and give out details about them.

However...threads complimenting this site have in the past been shut down rather quickly...couldn't this ONE thread please remain open?

DaleA

This site developed quite a knowledgeable and loyal group of followers and then several years ago went down for a few years and a lot of us switched over to thehighroad.org because this site was closed. Then this site reopened and we moved back but a lot of us still have accounts on The High Road.

godale

I like this forum because the mods keep control, but don't over-moderate like another popular forum.

And here, you can even politely disagree with a moderator's point of view without the threat of being banned.

Bet I know what site your talking about lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 AMP

Staff
However...threads complimenting this site have in the past been shut down rather quickly...couldn't this ONE thread please remain open?

General Discussion Forum
A place for general discussion and Member hob-nobbing. Posts must be Firearms related.

This is why the threads complimenting the Firing Line are shut down. As much as we like hearing appreciation of the Moderators good work and the quality of many of our members, its usually judged not firearms related enough to keep open very long.

rickyrick

There’s good people that provide good firearms related knowledge. I think this site has the best knowledge base when it comes to firearms. Lots of good shooting and hunting advice here. Even can learn about carry options.

I’m really guilty of derailing threads, usually because I post things quickly during breaks from my many other activities and I fail to proofread my posts, misinterpret other’s posts or skimmed too quickly... been trying to get better with my posts, lol, lately.

Skans

There are some very knowledgeable people here who can answer most gun related questions - great place, I agree!

dyl

Well, to help keep this firearms related - I used to save screenshots or copy text whenever I stumbled across a technical answer to a gunsmithing topic I was interested in. Or even something like how to identify certain firearms or the course of their development in history and how to track it by features or designation.

For example, I've seen someone post a list of what the "dash" numbers on S&W revolvers mean and I would save it somewhere thinking it would be a shame to lose that info. The same applies to things that are even harder to find. But truth be told, those folders and pictures are on a computer that died a few years back. So now I just count on this site staying open and sincerely hope that aside from a good learning environment, it remains operational just to keep that firearms knowledge alive. Without it, the DIY crowd among us will be worse off. These kinds of things should be on Wikipedia but no way in a million years is that going to happen.