Why I haven't been buying online....

Rembrandt

Availability.....

Lately I've been hoofing it to different stores to get components, online suppliers seem to be out of so many items.

Below is the result of stopping in at (2) Cabela's, (3) Scheels, and (2) Gander Mountain locations in the last two days. Interesting note is Scheels had the best prices, Gander Mountain was about 25-30% higher than anyone else....Cabela's came in between the two. No special trick to finding this stuff, just walk in and hope you hit them on a restocking day. No one store had it all.

The big chain stores buying power must carry some weight with the distributors....They're getting components no else can keep on hand.

reloading1.jpg

Sevens

My attitude may change if we are still chasing the same stuff many months from now... but in the meantime, I'd rather buy NOTHING than buy from Gander Mountain. The prices I've seen in the local Gander to me have been comical since long before November. Not high... but comical. Like, "uhh, really? People buy this from you?"

RickV

Me and my buds call Gander Mountain the 7-11 of sporting goods. They have what you need in a pinch but you will pay out the butt for it.

ac700wildcat

Wow, I haven't seen any Varget anywhere but on my reloading bench for a while. Good score. I'm going to check out a Scheels and a Cabela's tomorrow to see what I can find. I'm on the hunt for some cci br2 or 200 primers and a few pounds of powder. I'd also like to find some 9mm hollow point ammo.

Kendo

I've been lookin for those rem small rifle primers you got there for 3 weeks at all the local places. I finally back ordered them yesterday at Cabelas. The site says 5 to 6 weeks but thats alright I guess. Atleast cabelas still charges the same price as before all this went down. I also ordered some large pistol primers since I had to pay the hazmat fee.

TheotherMikeG

For those in central Alabama, Varget is on the shelf at Simmons. The only primers they have are some Win large rifle and Fed Match small and large pistol (@$45 p/k).

gbcop

I myself am ready for this to be overwith.. But I can already forsee whenever all this buying frenzy crap stops, the prices for a 100 blister pack of primers going from $4.50 to probably $8...

Thanks to these people who are paying RIDICULOUS prices, they are going to screw it for the rest of us... I purchased 1000 Federal Large Rifle Match primers for $40bux a month ago, and they same primers are going for WELL over $100 on gunbroker...

This auction has SIX DAYS LEFT and it's already to $107.62.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128409993

This one has a day left and it's up to $130
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=128297807

Last edited:

Sevens

Well, can't blame me-- I have a self-imposed ceiling of $30 per one thousand primers. As I said above, I reserve the right to change my stance if I'm backed in to a corner, but at this point... I have a few primers, a little bit of ammo, and about 2,000 rounds of rimfire. Rimfire goes bang, too, and if that's where I end up for a stretch, I'll survive.

I'm even more fearful than you are it seems, because I hear you talking about $4.50 per 100 like it's acceptable. I want to see $25 or $26 per thousand.

That'll Do

Sevens said:
Well, can't blame me-- I have a self-imposed ceiling of $30 per one thousand primers. As I said above, I reserve the right to change my stance if I'm backed in to a corner, but at this point... I have a few primers, a little bit of ammo, and about 2,000 rounds of rimfire. Rimfire goes bang, too, and if that's where I end up for a stretch, I'll survive.

I'm even more fearful than you are it seems, because I hear you talking about $4.50 per 100 like it's acceptable. I want to see $25 or $26 per thousand.

Same here. I'm not going to pay more than $35 per thousand (even that's a little high, but prices in my area vary from $25-$35 per 1000). Reloading for me is part accuracy, and part economy, and when components become outrageously expensive, reloading becomes unattractive from the economy standpoint.

Today I picked up 1000 magnum small pistol primers for $31 and some change. I've had to settle with magnum primers and rework my loads for 9mm and 40 S&W, as standard primers are scare locally. They *can* be found, but it's next to impossible. So until the mania subsides (and I think it will) I'll make do with what is at hand.