Why Grandpa Carries a Gun

Dennis Olson

Why Grandpa Carries a Gun

My old Grandpa said to me, 'Son, there comes a time in every man's life when he stops bustin' knuckles and starts bustin' caps and usually it's when he becomes too old to take a whoopin'. But here's a better explanation:

I don't carry a gun to kill people; I carry a gun to keep from being killed.

I don't carry a gun because I'm evil; I carry a gun because I have lived long enough to see the evil in the world.

I don't carry a gun because I hate the government; I carry a gun because I understand the need to remain vigilant against tyranny by the government

I don't carry a gun because I'm angry; I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my days hating myself for failing to be prepared.

I don't carry a gun because I want to shoot someone; I carry a gun because I want to die at a ripe old age in my bed, not on a sidewalk somewhere tomorrow afternoon.

I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man; I carry a gun because real men know how to take care of themselves and the ones they love.

I don't carry a gun because I feel inadequate; I carry a gun because when unarmed and facing three armed thugs, I am inadequate.

I don't carry a gun because I love it; I carry a gun because I love life and the people who make it meaningful to me.

Police protection is an oxymoron: Free citizens must protect themselves because police do not protect you from crime; they just investigate the crime after it happens and then call someone else in to clean up the mess.

(Received via email. No author cited.)

shurshot

Excellent!!!! Should be sent to every newspaper and Media outlet in America, although I doubt they would print it.

rc

Grampa carries a gun because he can't go to toe to toe with some youngin anymore and he can't run away!

SIGSHR

What was it they said in the Old West?
"God made some men big and some small and Colonel Colt made them all equal."

stinkeypete

My grandpa taught me “we keep our guns locked up in case some fool kids break in to the house, steal a gun, then cause some mischief and hurt someone else or get themselves locked up for serious.” He left America as a rowdy youth, fought in France in WWI, came back to be a pillar of the community, sing in the church choir, member of the Knights of Columbus, started about three businesses just to give them away to members of the extended family that needed jobs, managed hundreds of young men cutting fire roads as part of a works project in the Great Depression and looked at a man to see if he could lend him a hand.

He carried a gun to shoot deer, grouse or rabbits.

SIGSHR

February 14, 1929 was not a mass shooting or a spree killing as we think of it, rather it was a gangland hit with a larger number of victims.

44 AMP

Staff
It wasn't random and the large number of victims was 7.

Traumatic for the times and that's why its well known in the history books.

No, not remotely the same as a wackjob going on a murder spree just because he can and he wants to...

rc

I think part of this is people are isolated from violence now and made to feel like everyone else in life is here to serve them and get them out of trouble. In California it's not even a serious crime to shop lift as long as you don't steal more than $900 of stuff. When a kid messed up years ago, the belt or a switch or a punch by a parent corrected the behavior right quick. Crimes were punished with jail time. When dad said get a chicken for dinner he meant go out back, whack off the chicken's head and get it ready to cook. People had life lessons as young children snowflakes would not dream of today. Kids had guns and space to hunt. They would bring rabbits and squirrels home for mom to cook. Even urban areas were close to places to shoot. The more guns have become taboo in the mainstream but glorified in movies and video games the more we have had problems with young maladjusted individuals who can't figure out that killing is permanent and there is no reset button.

Brit

I am a Grand Dad. Aged 85. As I live in Florida and have a carry permit, I do carry it every day. I have this pistol, a Glock 19 4th Gen. Which is in 9 mm, with a nominal capacity of one 15 magazine, plus a round in the chamber 16 total.

A spare 17 round magazine, ups my onboard capacity of 33 147g hollow points.
I have fired a few thousand rounds through this pistol ( In IDPA Competition, with no failure to fire) so I am fairly confident if I require it in a life-saving mode, it will do so. The last time I fired it was 49 rounds in a refresher course, for my G-Lic. No, I did not clean it! Just reloaded it. This is required to be done once a year.

My grandfather (dec. 1943) carried a gun in the '30s because of the gang wars in San Francisco Chinatown. Not that my family has a history of crime (apart from me being in jail or to prison - OK, I was a deputy, had to testify or was a visitor who got to play with the prison's SMGs at a prison range), but it was one of those Tong War things with family association v. family association. My father himself was never involved with that stuff nor was I (too assimilated to care).