Why get a full-length Mannlicher-style stock?

Remmy

I have always seen the rugers with full length stocks, and i know other gunmakers have the option (rem. model seven MS), but what is the point of these. It cant help with accuracy i know...they always seem to have open sights on them too. But the only real reason for the stock is that the looks may appeal to some, i kind of do like it for maybe a .22 for plinking or something, seems like the full length stock would just be fitting for some type 'o wooded area type gun for some reason.
Whats the run down.
Thanks

another okie

Why not? They look neat. I always wanted one and finally bought a Ruger 10-22 in that style. It's a fun plinker, kind of European looking. The only real reason I've ever heard for it is that some Austrian kings used to like to use their rifles as walking sticks.

Paul B.

I've owned two of the original 6.5 mannlicher-Schoennaur rifle (Both were stolen years ago) and I loved them. I finally replaced them with one of the Ruger RSI's in .308. Woods gun? Not hardly. I've used it out to 250 yards on deer. I like the lightness, handiness and balance of that little rifle. It's a great deer rifle and I certainly have no hesitation on using it on an elk with the proper bullet.
I suggest you try one out for feel. It's liable to attach itself to you, forcing you to take it home.
My wife appropriated the one I have, so I had to get a second one.:D
I think those rifles are the coolest of the cool.
Paul B.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Depends on how well the stock is bedded, and how much constriction there is at the barrel band and/or muzzle band.

Years back, I bought a Sako Forester with a full Mannlicher stock. Shot the prettiest vertical strings you could ever hope for. Each shot was one inch higher than the preceding. But, if you let the barrel rest about ten minutes between shots, it would provide 1/2" groups.

Explored. Found the stock was two-piece, joined at the barrel band.

Threw away the "junk", cut the stock back about an inch, free-floated it and then shimmed it and thereafter have gotten five-shot groups of 3/8" to 5/8" at 100 yards.

It's all in the bedding.

:), Art

Crimper-D

Only got one of these right now...

An antique (50's) H&R 755. Near as I can tell, the full Mannlicher
stock serves no useful purpose, but it sure is a cute little rifle.
Personally, I'd chaulk it up to eye appeal and clever marketing, but if a rifle can be accurate and goodlookinng at the same time,
Why Not?:D

Dr.Rob

Staff Alumnus
I always wanted one. They look cool. You can make them work better. The Ruger 77 RSI in 270 would be a dandy shooter, though its not a mannlicher with a butterknife bolt. They do look best without a scope.. sort of a "european" saddlegun.

Correia

I always get a kick out of Mannlicher stocks, they look cool, but they aren't very functional. But the part that I find so entertaining is the gun snobs who will mock somebody who buys a FAL or an AR because they "look cool", but that same gun snob will then purchase a Mannlicher stocked rifle. :p

C.R.Sam

Carefull Correia..........somebody will see that and bring a Mannlicher stock for the FAL to market.

And they will sell some.

Sam

Unkel Gilbey

Me too!

Just had to comment on this one.

I agree with all that said that it makes for a sweet looking rifle. The full length stock, along with the Butterknife bolt handle, and let's not forget the double set triggers, just reeks of a European heritage.

Nearly every 'Home Gunsmithing' handbook I have mention - or even have instructions for working on some aspect of a Mannlicher style stock. One of my favorites chapters shows Tommy Bish building a Muzzle end cap (schnable) from scratch for a Mannlicher stocked Mauser. I think of it as sorta like a period at the end of a sentence - it doesn't look right (sentence) until you use one (period).

Now, hazarding a guess, I'd reason that the Mannlicher stock is a hold-over from when nearly all rifles were stocked straight out to the end of the muzzle. Military rifles were usually done this way. I think the rational was that it kept the barrel from taking any serious abuse from getting knocked around in the field.

Of course, all that wood would tend to hide moisture and allow it to work mayhem to your metal parts more so than a regularly stocked rifle. Perhaps maintenance was a bit more labor intensive for those types of stocks, hence the change to what we consider more contemporary? Who really knows?

But a Mannlicher stocked, with a fine blued schnable, butter knife bolt handle, in (perhaps) 6.5x55 or 7x57 would be a sweet deal indeed!

Unkel Gilbey

ACP230

I think an awful lot of gun buying is driven by aesthetics. I like Mannlicher stocks. I also like the way the M1A looks, and some black bullet-spitting guns also appeal to me as does the M1911 and most of its offspring. I would never buy a Weatherby even though some people swear by them.
I could make do with a gun that doesn't appeal to me as long as it would do the needed job, but I don't have to, so why should I?

Sundance

I think the Mannlicher stocks are butt ugly, but that is just one man's opinion. That is the beauty of the firearms industry...something for everybody. If you like them great, if you don't, there are plenty of guns without them.

Hand_Rifle_Guy

I really love a good Mannlicher-stocked rifle. They remind me of bygone days of hunting in Africa in the twenties. They are classics in their own right, and other are only imitations.

For the wildest, most over-the-top Mannlicher stock I've ever seen, I present you with a rifle built by/for a man who signs his name "Varmintmist", over on the Guns & Ammo forum. This rifle inspires me. I'm going to make one like this. It just looks TOO sweet.

cust1.jpg

This is the LONGEST barrel I've ever seen on a Mannlicher-style rifle. Varmintmist said it was 24 inches long, and the stock was made from a re-machined flintlock stock from some un-named California stock company. Most mannlichers are handy little carbines, with 18 inch barrels. The long tube on this one really changes the balance and lines of this gun in a striking way, in my opinion.

Speifications are as follows:

stats,.30-06, 24in heavy sporter bbl, Douglas air gauge, FN Mauser action, vintage dual set, (3.5lb,.7lb) 3x9x54 Bushnell scope(mistake, but it looks good)OAL 44 3/4 in, weight 9.5 approx, itll do a inch at 100 with match bullets, just over with hunting bullets.

I was going to use a single-shot for my first custom project, but this rifle changed my mind.