why does everyone love the glock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benny27

Can someone explain to me with all the great handguns out there that are reliable, accurate, and pleasing to look at, that anyone would pick the glock, I mean I know they're reliable and everything, but their ugly as sin, not to make anyone mad or anything, but I wouldn't take a glock if you gave me one. It just seems there are so many great guns out there, why does everyone love the glock?

Dobe

Flame On

Glocks are sound handguns, and may not have started this type of hand gun, but certainly made common a type of handgun that has become quiet popular...a cheap and reliable handgun. The Glock became very popular by selling cheaply to police departments, and proved its design (with some problems) over the years.

It is hard to take anything away from Gaston, he did the job well. It seems that every manufacturer is jumping on the Glock-like, if not look-alike band wagon. My personal opinion is that while they are good handguns, Glocks do not out perform most others in the market today, and the ergonomics lack a lot. The M&P, the new H&K's, and even the new Rugers will cut into the Glock market if for no other reason than the feel and ergonomics. The other manufactures have listened to the complaints, and have added change-out backstraps...not a bad idea.

Last edited:

JohnKSa

Administrator
I'd say that "everyone" is a bit of an overstatement... ;)

I hated the feel and look of Glocks. Handled one in a store and the "sproink" that it made when dryfired just about made me throw up. Problem is, I wanted a 10mm. At the time, there wasn't much out there with a reputation for durability in that caliber besides the Glock 20. I wanted a 10mm really bad...

So I bought a Glock 20. Took it home that night and started looking it over. I had heard that they were a pretty interesting design but not from anyone I considered a reliable source. I field stripped it and then took a closer look. I wasn't on the web then and didn't have an armorer's manual, but it didn't take me long to figure out how to break it all the way down.

I can vividly remember how impressed I was when I had it all apart. At how simple everything was, how well it was put together, how well it was thought out. The next day I went back to the same store and bought a Glock 17. I've been learning about them and shooting them for a lot of years now. They just work--as an engineer, I appreciate that and I'm willing to put up with the less than beautiful appearance. If I want to look at something pretty that goes bang, there's a Beretta 92FS INOX in the safe. ;)

By the way, I found out later Glocks don't "sproink" if you use a snap cap. ;)

People like them because the are utilitarian. They are all business. The do one thing and do it well. They are not made for looks but for function. They also are almost impossible to wear out.

I do hear that some people actually like the looks of them to but I have chalked that up as an urban legend. Noone could have that bad of tastes. :D

I personally hate them but I am considering buying a compact .40S&W one for a bedside gun.

hoytinak

I'd say that "everyone" is a bit of an overstatement...

just a little bit :)

that's the great thing about America (for now anyways), if you love Glock's you can buy one, if not there's many other options out there for the rest of us

MTMilitiaman

Form follows function.

Those who appreciate the Glock for its reliability, durability, capacity, and shootability don't mind the aesthetics, and some even grow to like them.

The Glock is simple. It is the AK of the pistol world. The AK isn't a beautiful weapon either, but it is favored for its simplicity and its reliability under adverse conditions--just like the Glock. And you don't have to be an 11-year old son of a goat farmer in some 3rd world African crap hole to understand the advantages that come with this simplicity either. Few pistols, if any, are as easy to detail strip as a Glock. The Glock has about 34 parts, total. Many of these are interchangeable. None are hand-fitted. This also makes the Glock modular. A Glock 22 upper slides right on to a Glock 17 frame. Magazines between Glocks of the same cartridge are often interchangeable. A Glock 19 can accept not only the 15 round magazines it comes with, but the standard 17 round magazines of the larger Glock 17, or the 33 round magazines for the Glock 18 machine pistol. Slide a Glock 23 upper on a Glock 19 frame, and it goes from 9mm to .40 just like that. With very little training and nothing more than a pin punch, the user can repair or replace anything that can break or go wrong with a Glock.

As much as people complain about the grip angle of the Glock, it does help to control muzzle flip. So does its low bore axis. Compare how low the Glock sits in the hand next to an HK, a SIG, or even a 1911. That gives the pistol less leverage and helps minimize muzzle flip. The Glock doesn't have a target trigger, but it is very good as a combat trigger--consistent, relatively light, and with a very short, crisp reset that helps get follow up shots out as quickly as possible. The Glock also has a very good magazine capacity, a good selection of aftermarket parts and accessories, which again, can be installed by the user without sending the pistol to the company or a specialized builder.

They aren't shiny. Their lines aren't graceful. But they are working guns that can be depended on. They get the job done. And they don't cost an arm and a leg in the process.

I've owned and shot many of the Glock's competitors on the market--SIG, HK, 1911s, Berettas--and I respect many of them. But as I've said before, when the chips are down, I know I can depend on my Glock. And that is simply beautiful to me.

zukiphile

Can someone explain to me with all the great handguns out there that are reliable, accurate, and pleasing to look at, that anyone would pick the glock...

In addtion to the reliability and accuracy you note, they have a simplicity of design and reasonable price and durability that are attractive to any buyer.

PBP...your not considering putting a Glock in your safe with your others are you?
Hell no, I am going to put it in the finger safe in the upstairs bedroom where it would never been seen except when and if I needed it.

elrod

They're so ugly, they're purty! :D And they go BANG anytime you need them to! What else would you ever want? :confused:

P.S. If you think they are ugly, lay one down next to a Hi-Point!!!

hoytinak

Can someone explain to me with all the great handguns out there that are reliable, accurate, and pleasing to look at, that anyone would pick the glock, I mean I know they're reliable and everything, but their ugly as sin, not to make anyone mad or anything, but I wouldn't take a glock if you gave me one. It just seems there are so many great guns out there, why does everyone love the glock?

To some it is nothing more than a tool. Who cares what a tool looks like as long as it gets the job done...and Glock gets the job done well IMHO.

Dobe

To me there are just so many other reliable hanguns that fit my hand better than a Glock. The new HK looks promising. I haven't shot one yet, but I'll get a chance soon. I am also interested in the new Ruger. Ruger centerfire autos have never been a favorite of mine, but the new one does look good.

IdahoG36

Those who appreciate the Glock for its reliability, durability, capacity, and shootability don't mind the aesthetics

Agreed. Form follows function. I would rather have an ugly gun that works everytime. A gun doesn't have to look good to do the job. Plenty of high dollar, good looking 1911s don't always run right out of the box.

jimmy123x

I hate them, but a lot of people love them because they are relatively cheap, in a lot of movies, take abuse well, are reliable, have a high capacity, are lighter then steel and work......but lack all charisma IMO

allenomics

Glock may not win a beauty contest, but it could probably be voted "most likely to succeed."

Durable, reliable, good accuracy, easy to clean, fairly priced with good resale value...what's not to like?

Have you read about the torture tests Glock went through to prove itself and how other gun makers didn't fare as well; mud, sand, driven over, underwater, etc., etc?

I believe that if S&W or Ruger (American manufacturer) developed the Glock, it would not face as much negativity.

Dobe

Agreed. Form follows function. I would rather have an ugly gun that works everytime. A gun doesn't have to look good to do the job. Plenty of high dollar, good looking 1911s don't always run right out of the box.
Perhaps, but there are plenty of good looking handguns that work everytime too. And there are plenty of high dollar 1911's that work quiet well straight from the store to the range...my Ed Brown being one. I had the gunsmith where I bought my EB swab down the barrel and lube the rails. I went straight to range and burned up 200 rounds. That was three years ago, and I haven't had a malfunction yet.

My CZ has had one malfuction in many thousands of rounds, while my newer AR-24 (read sweeeet) hasn't malfunctioned in 2,500 rounds in the very short time I have had it.

Glocks are reliable, but no more so than most recently produce handguns.

NCTexan

With all the very good hand guns out there, I think that it's mostly image and 'herd thinking'.

It's the same reason that some 'running' shoes are 'in' and some are 'out'....

99% of the people don't need more than a pair of KEDs or PF Flyers... but just have to have what's popular on a given day.

Status
Not open for further replies.