why do you shoot

How many people shoot to relax & help oneself to concentrate other than protection? Yes the 1st. response would be for protection. However the other reasons in this post are just as important. All response are welcome as always.
Merry Christmas to all!

I shoot primarily because I enjoy shooting.

I'm a senior citizen. My grandfather introduced me to shooting when I was maybe 8 years old, and he maintained that gentlemen should all know how to shoot. He was in important influence on my life, and I took those words to heart. So that's part of it.

Next, I enjoy guns as mechanical devices. In recent years, I have discovered that I like tinkering with guns as much as I like shooting them -- possibly more, because I can tinker in the comfort and privacy of my basement, whereas it's illegal to discharge a firearm anywhere in my town, so I have to drive 45 minutes to a range when I want to shoot.

And then comes practice. I have a carry permit so I shoot to maintain proficiency, but I'm largely a "one trick pony." I carry 1911s, and I've been shooting 1911s since I was on the brigade shooting team in the 1960s. There's a certain amount of muscle memory there, so I don't need tons of range time to maintain self defense accuracy. In fact, I've been thinking that perhaps I should find a bullseye league to help me counteract a tendency to get sloppy.

JohnKSa

Administrator
I've always enjoyed the challenge. And yes, I do find it relaxing.

The practical aspect of firearm self-defense was always secondary to just enjoying shooting.

BourbonCowboy

I'm an educational administrator and have never been much of a "gun guy." But a couple years ago, our school initiated the Commissioned School Security Officer (CSSO) program - which armed administrators. Being left-handed, I had to find a pistol that would work for everyone. I spent somewhere between 300-400 hours over a period of four months researching and looking for the right pistol. We settled on the HK VP9sk.

As it turns out, I'm a pretty good shot, and I like trying to improve my skills. Also, the training caused me to start thinking about home defense scenarios and situational awareness. Now I'm training myself to be completely ambidextrous with the pistol. I've always enjoyed learning and improving myself, and this task has proven to be challenging and a lot of fun.

veprdude

I enjoy shooting older guns because of the history associated with them. There are not many things you can handle that are 50-100 years old that still operate and are not obsolete.

But sometimes I enjoy handling/cleaning/disassembling these maybe more than shooting them.

CDR_Glock

I've always enjoyed the challenge. And yes, I do find it relaxing.

The practical aspect of firearm self-defense was always secondary to just enjoying shooting.

I shoot for relaxation after work. However with daylight savings time, I lose that option even with my own range in the backyard. I have introduced many friends and family to shooting. It has been a great way to get more people to respect what I do without the intimidation.

995b512f36ea11afce78554c6c9c8281.jpg

Since I conceal carry, I don’t want the liability of missing my mark. I make sure I am competent, proficient and confident.

5a322e1822c8440663ccc032d8bd2233.jpg

I also go out hunting with my firearms so I want a humane kill. I carry a sidearm for protection and i want to make sure I can act quickly, smartly, and accurately.

e2f4d13375f71b17d8ec15ad2748ccde.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

J.G. Terry

Seniors Shooting

Reason for shooting: I have been interested in shooting since grade school. My shooting started long before the post 1968 events. The interest came from two WW2 bring backs from my Father.

There are many perks. Being around fellow shooters. At our last match there were two veterans. One shooter was Korean war vet. He was in the 1st Marine Division. Our other veteran was a veteran of the RAF in WW2. It's neat to speak with these guys.

Also, it's great to be where you can get a world of information from active living, breathing shooters. We shoot on weekdays that tends to limit shooters to retired people. It possible to learn from other senior shooters. We don't have to deal with a bunch of outside crap unless somebody wants to argue. Staying on task does give a break from the crap storm currently going on about us. There seem to be an unwritten rule not to bring up certain topics. Basically, it's great to be left alone to go about our business.

USNRet93

-Cuz it's fun
-get to hang out and Shoot with my 2 sons
-make sure my guns are workin' OK
-helps make me a better shooter(for EDC and also more fun to be accurate than not)
-Cuz it's way fun

In no particular order or priority.
Went up above Lyons CO yesterday with youngest son..shot my Glock, his S&W revolver, my Mossberg against slung clay, his Henry lever, my 1022..other son's new Ruger 556...great fun..

Even after shooting like 600-700 rounds of 12g, 22lr, 9mm, 38spec, 357, 556, as soon as we left, had a hankering to go again as soon as possible..GREAT fun..

Last edited:

TheGunGeek

Aside from life & Liberty, it's the sheer enjoyment and working to improve my skills. My primary enjoyment comes from rifle shooting.

I describe it as a combination of the physical, mental, and intellectual. In order to perform really well you have to maintain a base level of physical condition, and be in tune with your breathing, abilities, etc. The mental aspect involves the ability to maintain strong focus, situational awareness, and discipline under adverse conditions. These are great skills for life in general. The intellectual involves the mathematics of learning the ballistics, & reading wind. I find the combination of all these things into one sport, which is also a very useful skill in real life, immensely satisfying.

jimbob86

I shoot because it is a productive, mentally and physically stimulating hobby.... and it's as much a part of me as anything .....

I grew up shooting, mostly because we hunted. We were not wealthy - hell, who am I kiddin': we were poor, but we didn't know it ....we did not have money for hobbies that did not help put food on the table- we hunted,and fished, and gardened, raised livestock ...... there were 3 channels on the TV, but very little of interest to young boys, aside from Monty Python or The Goodies on PBS once a week, and the Muppet show on Monday night ...... in the summer, Tarzan re-runs came on at 3PM weekdays .... our transistor Radios would only pick up two stations on a good day ..... and the reliable one was stuck in the 70's easy listening ...... from about age of 6 or 7, if Mom didn't have me doing some task or another, I was out with a gun of some sort ...... a Daisy BB gun at first ...... then pellet guns ...... a 22 ...... a 410 shotgun .... "What do you want for your Birthday, Jimmy? "Ammo!" ....... After I got out of the Army, I was suddenly poor again, married with a kid on the way ...... and I picked right up where I left off: If I wasn't working, my free time "hobbies" involved getting food- I had to borrow a rifle to hunt deer that first year back, but got a shotgun for Christmas, and a .22 for my birthday ..... G'Pa gave me his rifle before he passed ..... I still use it today. I shot the shotgun to death ...... I have not shot the 22 since Obama made 22lr scarce .... I mostly shoot 22 in pistols now. I got into handloading because I could shoot a lot more if I rolled my own.... I got into handguns because of Jeff Cooper's "Man in Nebraska", F.L. Nicholson .... and she got me interested in politics and the 2nd Amendment in particular. We took our CHP class together .... I shot Bowling pin and IDPA for a couple of years, but kids' activities started taking up more of my time..... 4-h Shooting sports, hunting, fishing, camping ....... I only have 2 left at home now, so I may start shooting games again .....

..... "Why do I shoot?" It's a part of me ...... I can't imagine not shooting.

44 AMP

Staff
Yes the 1st. response would be for protection.

Not for me. Never was. Self protection was so far down on the list, where and when I grew up, no one we knew ever talked about it, or practiced it, except for a family friend who was a Deputy Sheriff...

Defensive shooting was articles in gun magazines that we usually skipped or just skimmed. Dad taught NRA Hunter Safety and from the time I was big enough to carry a box of papers to the car, I was involved (though "impressed/drafted" might be more accurate ;))

The general attitude was we shot to learn how to shoot, to get better at it, for hunting and for just plain recreation. Most folks figured that if you knew how to shoot and could hit what you aimed at, you could defend yourself with a gun.

Of course, this was before guns were "evil", before they HAD to be kept locked up, before one was forbidden to let a child even see them (except endlessly on TV). also back when most people were considered to be responsible for their actions. Before helmet and seat belt laws, and back when most Doctors smoked!!:eek:

The gunracks in our trucks had (gasp!!) GUNS in them!! And it was rare that doors were locked, and never if you were home...

My folks never let us have BB guns. They thought it would promote bad habits (and looking at what some of the hooligan kids did with theirs, I couldn't really argue). My 14th birthday present was MY VERY OWN Winchester .22 rifle. My 16th birthday present was a Winchester Model 12 12 ga and a Remington .308. I got my NEW YORK STATE pistol permit at age 18.
There has been an unlocked (usually loaded) firearm (at least one) in the households of my every generation of my family since BEFORE the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE was signed.
Never shot anyone we didn't intend to, or anyone who didn't deserve it, either.

I shoot, because I enjoy it. It's what we do, and a part of who we are.

Sadly, it seems from now on, its only a part of who we were.....:(

Don Fischer

Why do I shoot? Guess the answer is I like to! Other than than, you ever tried to kill a game animal from a squirrel on up by throwing a rock at it? :)

jimbob86

Why do I shoot? Guess the answer is I like to! Other than than, you ever tried to kill a game animal from a squirrel on up by throwing a rock at it? :)

Killed a rabbit in my garden a few years ago with a thrown pocket knife. ....It was war, and it was all i had on me. Did you know that the more rabbits you plant in your garden, the more peas you will get? It's TRUE!

T. O'Heir

Because it's fun. And I had to be able to help Roy and Dale, Sgt. Saunders and Lt. Hanley and Troy and Moffitt(A fairy tale at best.) in a pinch.
"...help oneself to concentrate..." Works the other way around. To shoot well, one must be able to concentrate.

rebs

I shoot for relaxation, to maintain my proficiency, compete in local club matches and enjoy being with other club members and fellow shooters. I also very much enjoy reloading my own ammo. Its a great hobby.

SIGSHR

I enjoy it. I collect. As with so many things I do-woodworking, bicycle repair, baking, lets me acquire skills and a strong sense of self-reliance and self-sufficiency.

Pahoo

Because it adds to my psychological wellbeing

Another reason is because "They" will no longer let me go whitewater rafting and Zip-Lining. …. :mad::mad:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

mr bolo

mostly for enjoyment, plus they're an interesting piece of machinery / history / the engineering that went into the design, fun to collect and play, a grown man's toys.

I like military / LE type firearms best , they are more interesting because of the extensive testing that goes into the design.

I like the reliability, durability, quality , function